Cortana: Tips and Tricks (Halo Questions in OP)

Carkid367

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Cortana: Tips and Tricks

In the emulator, I've noticed that when I accessed Cortana around noon, it automatically showed up with nearby (Redmond, WA I guess due to the emulator) restaurants for lunch, pretty cool!

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

In the emulator, I've noticed that when I accessed Cortana around noon, it automatically showed up with nearby (Redmond, WA I guess due to the emulator) restaurants for lunch, pretty cool!

Yeah, it's really the little things like this that don't get a lot of press or that people will just have to notice that really shows how well Cortana shines. :D

Carkid367

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site

I don't know if it was answered before, I don't recall seeing a reply about it, but can Cortana turn off and on system settings such as Quiet Hours, Bluetooth, airplane mode, etc?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I posted this as a response to another thread, but thought it belonged here as well.

One of the more understated and least review aspects of Cortana is this:

If you give Cortana a verbal query, she will, if able, answer you verbally.

If you TYPE the query, it will just show up on the screen.

This is GREAT!! You don't have to worry about everyone hearing her tell you what she found or ask for confirmation out loud if you don't want to broadcast your business.

Betweenmatt

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Hello friend,
First off i'd like to thank you for all the information you have given us, it has really helped me with what to expect next week(hopefully). The only question I have you may not be able to answer so don't feel bad if you can't, and if its already been answered I apologize in advance.

How is Cortana in the sdk? Basically I am curious as to how limited developers are with interacting with her, example: I'd like to be able to post/get messages to her from another app. I expect that ms will have her hard core untouchable, just from how they handle development as it is, but nevertheless I have high hopes that ms will give us a longer leash soon enough and I have some hopes that 8.1 is that leash.

Also, how do you have her on a device, and could you let me in on the secret? XP

Thank you for everything and have a lovely evening.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Hello friend,
First off i'd like to thank you for all the information you have given us, it has really helped me with what to expect next week(hopefully). The only question I have you may not be able to answer so don't feel bad if you can't, and if its already been answered I apologize in advance.

How is Cortana in the sdk? Basically I am curious as to how limited developers are with interacting with her, example: I'd like to be able to post/get messages to her from another app. I expect that ms will have her hard core untouchable, just from how they handle development as it is, but nevertheless I have high hopes that ms will give us a longer leash soon enough and I have some hopes that 8.1 is that leash.

Also, how do you have her on a device, and could you let me in on the secret? XP

Thank you for everything and have a lovely evening.

I actually have it on 4 devices (520, 920, 1520 and 8X). The secret? I work for Microsoft. :devil:

The point to Cortana is to have her be used as a platform. Yes, the core will not be exposed, but there will be many things you can do with her as a developer. I am still a baby-Dev, so I can't really talk to what can be done via the Emulator, but I do know that you will be able to use her, or at least in part, in your apps.

Betweenmatt

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for your quick response, you have given me a lot to look forward to!
I am really new with windows phones, I am an android developer so I am instantly trying to think of apps that i could write to make my wp experience better lol.

I got my new phone this week because I wanted to expand my development knowledge of other devices.
Question: how does 8.1 run on the lumia 520? It was the cheapest option i had and i worry that i should have gone for more power, but so far I have been extremely impressed with it.
Thank you.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for your quick response, you have given me a lot to look forward to!
I am really new with windows phones, I am an android developer so I am instantly trying to think of apps that i could write to make my wp experience better lol.

I got my new phone this week because I wanted to expand my development knowledge of other devices.
Question: how does 8.1 run on the lumia 520? It was the cheapest option i had and i worry that i should have gone for more power, but so far I have been extremely impressed with it.
Thank you.

Yes, I actually have it on a 520 device for testing.

FYI, ALL Windows Phone 8 devices will be eligible for 8.1

daredevildan

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

"Did the Giants win yesterday" of course gives me the result in a really nice format. Underneath was the option to show updates for the team. Now the team is added to my Cortana notebook, very cool.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site

"Did the Giants win yesterday" of course gives me the result in a really nice format. Underneath was the option to show updates for the team. Now the team is added to my Cortana notebook, very cool.

Works well with "Cardinals" too, but not any abbreviations of that like "Cards". Also, I notice that the nickname field of a contact isn't automatically recognized by Cortana. You also have to add it to Cortana nicknames.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo