Cortana: Tips and Tricks (Halo Questions in OP)

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cortana: Tips and Tricks

Hi, sorry if this has been asked but can Cortana be accessed via lock screen? And I use siri whilst locked to add items to lists like shopping and hardware. Hoping Cortana can do this? And finally, does it continue a sequence like " here is your reminder, would you like to create it. I use siri mostly when driving so it's great that I don't have to use the phone to confirm things like I have to with Google now. Kind of defeats the purpose. Want to get away from iphone but it is tough with Siri being so much easier to use hands free.

YES! I have Cortana on my Lumia Icon and all I have to do is press the start button and hold down the search button and Cortana opens and asks me what I need. You WILL have to unlock the phone after you ask her something, but I believe you have to do that on the iPhone and Android phones as well. I believe it is a saftey thing to avoid allowing anyone to make changes to your phone without your knowledge.

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site

YES! I have Cortana on my Lumia Icon and all I have to do is press the start button and hold down the search button and Cortana opens and asks me what I need. You WILL have to unlock the phone after you ask her something, but I believe you have to do that on the iPhone and Android phones as well. I believe it is a saftey thing to avoid allowing anyone to make changes to your phone without your knowledge.

So I just tried this, and when Cortana opened up, I just said to myself "Wow...very nice!"

Cortana answered "Glad I could help!"

Freaky :)

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site

As far as a feature request, I'd love to have Bing Vision along side the music search again - it was great for book/album covers and bar/QR codes. I know that it's still accessible as a lens within the camera, but I think that it made more sense contextually under the 'Search' umbrella.

Adretheon

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

As far as a feature request, I'd love to have Bing Vision along side the music search again - it was great for book/album covers and bar/QR codes. I know that it's still accessible as a lens within the camera, but I think that it made more sense contextually under the 'Search' umbrella.

Or at least let us use Cortanna to open the lens. That would be sweet.

AnkitV

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site

One question! Cortana does a lot of bing searches,right.. Where is all the search history stored?

boshkop

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

Dunno if someone else has figured this out already, but you can add Places from the Maps application.
Just tap and hold the place, then tap again to open it and press the Plus icon in the bar.

This is especially handy if you can't find your place by typing it's address (or it's incorrect).

YouMeanNo

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site

The weather displays in degrees Fahrenheit but you can say "what's that in Celsius?", which is handy until they open up more regions.

I also asked for directions to a pub but was given a list of parks, so I said "pubs not parks" and got a list of pubs, which is impressive.

rosan kaushik

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

Cortana is not showing my facebook apps in its list ... So i can't 😞 ask her to do certain task on my phone related to Facebook ... Please help

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Sorry if I missed it but Cortana is only doing bing searches instead of talking to me when I say things like tell me a story or sing me a song.

This is with 8.1Dev Preview.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Yes that's right it is only doing Bing search it does not speak when u ask such personal questions.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Yes that's right it is only doing Bing search it does not speak when u ask such personal questions.

Hmm Ok. I was under a different impression especially since my cousin sent me a screen shot of cortana telling him a story when he said tell me a story.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

The Heavens opened and angels sang "Halejula"!!!! =)
The 14th can't come soon enough!!!!

This worked as I planned!!! WOOHOO!!! Now whenever I want a specific email tone for a SPECIFIC email contact, I can route it to a specific emailbox that I have defined a specific email tone for.
The only issue is that I routed to a gmailbox and for some reason under Email+Account, when I add a Google account, it won't let me set the interval to "as items arrive". I NEED "as items arrive". I might setup an outlook.com mailbox to get the "as items arrive" interval.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Hmm Ok. I was under a different impression especially since my cousin sent me a screen shot of cortana telling him a story when he said tell me a story.

No it does tells story but sometimes it searches for your answer.try soft reset nd restart she may work fine.some are saying hard reset makes her even more great in reply but I won't do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99