Cortana: Tips and Tricks (Halo Questions in OP)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
When you disable Cortana, you can delete everything in your notebook. Then you have to go to Bing.com and into settings. Click the personalization tab and there you can delete "interests" and also "other Cortana data".

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
When you disable Cortana, you can delete everything in your notebook. Then you have to go to Bing.com and into settings. Click the personalization tab and there you can delete "interests" and also "other Cortana data".

Does this reset the "getting to know you" questions? A lot of people didn't get to finish those.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Does this reset the "getting to know you" questions? A lot of people didn't get to finish those.

I honestly am not sure. I only noticed those settings when I was playing around on the emulator prior to the 8.1 release, and the questions never worked in that.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

That worked, thanks! Once I turned off Cortana, it asked me to restart the phone to turn her off. After the restart, going into the Cortana options will now give you the option to turn her back on, delete data on the phone and also delete the data in the cloud.

Exactly what I was looking for.

She asked for my permission to access my emails, txt, etc. but she didn't ask me any of the "getting to know you" questions.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if it's been mentioned previously, but I just found that you can do a music search via Cortana even while the phone is locked - wake the phone (power button or double tap), hold the search and ask "what song is this?" and she'll immediately go in to listening/search and will supply the results all without entering a PIN. Pretty handy when driving or something.

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure this is mentioned elsewhere on these forums but you can pin certain interests to your start screen (and yes these tiles will be transparent). If you go to your interests, items like 'weather near me' and your news headlines have a "pin" option once you go into their individual cortana settings (i.e. open cortana, then settings, then interests, scroll down to weather near me and click on it - next screen should have a pin icon at the bottom).

wish more things would be pinnable.

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Here are another series of questions you can ask Cortana to get to know her a little better.

I have a LOT more and will post some more as time goes on. :) Fun stuff to play with!

Important note: What's your favorite dish AND What is your favorite dish gives different reactions, being the latter a cortana interaction and the former a bing search. I think it's not supposed to be this way

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Important note: What's your favorite dish AND What is your favorite dish gives different reactions, being the latter a cortana interaction and the former a bing search. I think it's not supposed to be this way

These little nuances are being worked on. :) No word on them though, at this time at least. :)

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one that couldn't give two ****s about "cheeky" responses that'll be old hat the instant that you find them? I feel like Apple really pushed the faux personality bit with Siri and, while it generates occasional easter egg attention, it seems that very few people actually use Siri for anything productive. I hope that expanding the productivity stuff is the emphasis and that the cute responses are the work of unpaid interns, because I would hate to see Cortana be relegated to a party trick like Siri.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one that couldn't give two ****s about "cheeky" responses that'll be old hat the instant that you find them? I feel like Apple really pushed the faux personality bit with Siri and, while it generates occasional easter egg attention, it seems that very few people actually use Siri for anything productive. I hope that expanding the productivity stuff is the emphasis and that the cute responses are the work of unpaid interns, because I would hate to see Cortana be relegated to a party trick like Siri.

Cortana's Chit-Chat is part of the experience that we will be expanding, but the features that will make her more of a Personal Assistant will be growing at a greater rate. Chit-Chat was meant to be cheeky and fun and something that has been putting a pretty good light on Cortana. Even if that is all you use her for, she is being used. Those that are looking more for a personal assistant won't be disappointed with what we have in store.

WhyFiNYC

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Related note: Contacts/nicknames seem to work just snazzy for initiating calls/texts via Cortana, but for the life of me I can't get anything address-related to work. Queries like "how long will it take to drive to my brothers house?" or even commands like "navigate to my brothers house" are all met with Bing searches.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Related note: Contacts/nicknames seem to work just snazzy for initiating calls/texts via Cortana, but for the life of me I can't get anything address-related to work. Queries like "how long will it take to drive to my brothers house?" or even commands like "navigate to my brothers house" are all met with Bing searches.

Flavors of "Navigate home" doesn't work either.

lewiedude

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I am fully aware that Cortana is beta, so I don't expect perfection at this point. But, here is my problem... When asking her a question, she constantly performs a Bing search. Even when I am utilizing the inputted nickname for something like sending an email. I did start to speak all words with questions as opposed to utilizing contractions: What does vs. What's. Some times she will perform correctly. Like, 'where is home?' and she will correctly show it on the map, then I will ask the follow up query, 'what does the traffic look like?'

However, I have continually noticed that she tries to capitalize the first word of any question that I ask along with trying to add the question mark at the end, only to remove those formats and then give me a big search result. I have tried everything including the turning on/off/restart. Next I am going to reset her and see what happens. She won't even say my name.

Last edited:

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Flavors of "Navigate home" doesn't work either.

I tried "Navigate Home" and it works as per below

yhemyzy9

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Detroit in the House!!!!... I don't use ' What !!!!" .. :cool:lol

. We Detroiter's Are a versatile Lot!!!!! ... and we know how to pick A Good Phone and OS .. least you and I rorr!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa