Finally Being Noticed

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, I think Microsoft finally has a winner.

As we all know, the Windows Phone 8.1 is a great update. From the headline features such as (finally) getting an Action + Notification Center, to the small daily enhancements such as Quiet Hours and separate volumes for your ringer and apps, Windows Phone 8.1 is a great update that finally solves nearly all the complaints and/or missing features when compared to iOS and Android. Now we get the best of both worlds: the awesome Metro UI that makes Windows Phone so unique, AND now we don't have to miss out on any features due to design preference!

While that's great, and much appreciated by the Windows Phone community, it's still easily ignored. It will circle around major tech blogs for a little while, but the flame will die out. It will receive little, if any, mention on cable news stations, and be largely ignored and forgotten by those who don't already own Windows Phone devices.

That is, until, you get Cortana involved. The web is currently ablaze with Microsoft's "Siri-Killer," people are genuinely interested. Even if they don't care at all about Windows Phone, people do seem to be getting giddy for Cortana. And from what we've seen so far, she's living up to the hype.

While we have a little while longer to wait before we can get a sneak peak at real world performance and usage, Microsoft seems to have created a harmonious blend of Siri's beloved personality, while maintaining the accuracy and usefulness of Google Now (not to mention, Cortana respects your privacy and only uses what you allow her too see). If Microsoft can keep this hype going, we might finally have a winner. iOS, Android and now Windows Phone are all pretty much on even ground in terms of features, competing only in hardware and UI design.

If Cortana manages to impress, this could be a big win for Microsoft. No longer will Windows Phone users be mocked, but rather, people will go, "Oh, you have that phone with Cortana, right? Can I see her?"

Perhaps this is wishful thinking, but for once, Microsoft might FINALLY achieve some mindshare. After all, Siri is known for mostly being a party-gimmick, and not truly useful for daily life. Yet, it's practically synonymous for voice-assistant these days.

We'll have to wait and see how this pans out, but if Cortana delivers: Microsoft might finally escape it's position as the laughing stock of the Big Three, and gain some respect in the marketplace.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Do you think many people will use Cortana? It's basically a copy of Google Now, which hasn't exactly set the world on fire.
Also, choosing a name that's almost the same as an bad car from the early 80s wasn't very wise.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Do Also, choosing a name that's almost the same as an bad car from the early 80s wasn't very wise.

What? Are you talking about the Lotus Cortina? That thing was a beast. And it really honestly doesn't matter... Normal people won't make that connection. Only people who are nit-picking trying to find faults.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
What? Are you talking about the Lotus Cortina? That thing was a beast. And it really honestly doesn't matter... Normal people won't make that connection. Only people who are nit-picking trying to find faults.

No, I meant the Ford Cortina (see Ford Cortina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - although it's basically the same thing.
The name is a minor point though, I'm more interested in whether people think this will actually be more successful than Google Now and Siri.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
No, I meant the Ford Cortina (see Ford Cortina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) - although it's basically the same thing.
The name is a minor point though, I'm more interested in whether people think this will actually be more successful than Google Now and Siri.

Ford made the Lotus Cortina. I'd buy one of those babies in a heartbeat if I could. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Cortina

Anyway, Cortana does do more than Google now. I'd list the additional features, but I'm on my phone. So I'll let someone else do it.

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Do you think many people will use Cortana? It's basically a copy of Google Now, which hasn't exactly set the world on fire.
Also, choosing a name that's almost the same as an bad car from the early 80s wasn't very wise.

Well even if it is a copy of Google Now, isn't it good to have a choice to use a digital PA?
And Cortana is still in in beta, i might become more useful than GN/siri and like OP said WP will finally be notice by a more wider audience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos