Can Cortana handle complex two step requests?

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Can Cortana do more complex things as:

1: To send a text to a person at a certain time?

2: To set a Silent(ignore) to a user in your phone book, not during quite hour? So they will call but you will only see a miss call from that user when you unlock your phone.

3. When you recieve a text or email, from someone you are waiting for, to to not only send a notification but to also make camera light flash or vibrate(both).

4. To make a group(s) for example called family etc, to have set to a certain ringtone. (not sure you can do that in the regular phone settings)

5. what about tracking, when a new song(album) is release from your fav. artist, movie is release, etc. If it is base of bing which is index i dont see why it wouldnt be able to track these different requests.

I think when Cortana matures we will be able to do more complex requests and really make your phone the more personal phone in the world.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

2: To set a Silent(ignore) to a user in your phone book, not during quite hour? So they will call but you will only see a miss call from that user when you unlock your phone.

3. When you recieve a text or email, from someone you are waiting for, to to not only send a notification but to also make camera light flash or vibrate(both).

4. To make a group(s) for example called family etc, to have set to a certain ringtone. (not sure you can do that in the regular phone settings)

5. what about tracking, when a new song(album) is release from your fav. artist, movie is release, etc. If it is base of bing which is index i dont see why it wouldnt be able to track these different requests.

I think when Cortana matures we will be able to do more complex requests and really make your phone the more personal phone in the world.

Why would you want Cortana to do 2, 3 and 4 for you is out of my understanding. They are way to complex for any assistant. You might as well expect her to text people on your behalf before you even opening your emails and texts just like Her (2013)!

5 - I think it can. You need to add that fav artist or actor in your interests and it will bring up any news including new releases in her feed.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

I'm not sure, but from what I can tell so far...

1. she'll most likely be able to give you a reminder to text someone at a certain time

3. doubt it

4. you can do that in her notebook :)

5. you can tell her your interest and she will track it for you daily eg "three doors down" and she'll give you all the news

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
2. My friend iPhone is able to do that, and I was just wondering if cortana will be able to do that or if its in the setting some where.

3. Well, I know people that are death and flashing when a text comes would be viable. Also, sometime you will be waiting for a text or email from a particular person and would like to know its from them rather, your phone vibarats, ring tone, a flashing. Kinda like when you have a urgent messge from someone basically.

4. Would be nice to have a different ring tone for a group of people. Cortana doesn't have to be able to do, but would be nice if your phone can do it.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah number for would be interesting to see how specific it will be, because If I keep remind me when this album is release to download, etc. I don't want to receive news about the album just when I can obtain it. Because news will give you anything pertaining what you ask, which is different.

But I know Cortana is in beta, and I bet where going to see just some very interesting things with geo fencing, third party apps and how good the Cortana can already understand things.

For example, when you tell Cortana to add something to queue in a third party app it should be able to do it without opening the app at all. Just send it to the cloud to do, or the app servers, something of that sort. Because once I see that Cortana has the correct name of the tv show, movie,(etc) then I know she will be able to add it and there is no need to open the app so I can see it being added. The error check would be when you look at the Cortana Live title and it will say added tv show(etc) the next time you unlock your phone.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Oh imma check that out on my gf's iphone lol.. You make a valid point with 3; who knows maybe some more people will want this and MS might give it to us in a future update or a dev could make sth like this. I think we will be able to give the groups a different ringtone

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, my friend has a ex boyfriend and she still has to talk to him about stuff but don't want to see the phone calls come in because it frustrate her or she might answer it by mistake. So features like that she can deal with him on her time not his, lol. With 2 or 3 more updates coming this year alone, I see that a lot of small things like this will be added.

can we ask Cortana how many emails, text, phone calls, we made to today, this week, this month? Or How many times did I call my mom last month? These simple questions should all be feasible. Right?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Ahah it would be nice to ask those things! but only someone with a SDK can answer this otherwise we will have to wait until 14.. I'm going to make a prediction here :p after 14 wpcentral will be flooded with posts, from people who have the beta. asking, nay demanding, (for) more features

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Haha wow thanks for that man! I kinda had a feeling that Cortana was stronger than Siri.. My gf's iphone is the 5s.. Just yesterday she wanted Siri to answer a follow up question, but she couldn't and i almost died of laughter :p

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Well that's the rub isn't it? Siri can do these 2-step requests and that's why it's so powerful. If Cortana can't do this, then it's non-competitive in the current market.

Kronus24

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Siri cant do 2 steps requests at all. And Cortana can to a point which will be expanded on to do some of things I mention. Well that's the word on the block at least, which is very easy to implement with what they have built already.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure, but from what I can tell so far...

1. she'll most likely be able to give you a reminder to text someone at a certain time

3. doubt it

4. you can do that in her notebook :)

5. you can tell her your interest and she will track it for you daily eg "three doors down" and she'll give you all the news

I personally would KILL to have ability #3. There are certain contacts I NEED to be notified of no matter what my quite hours may be.

Can we get a verification on #4??? If this is true, it would solve one of my biggest complaints about WP!!!! Hopefully, that would allow you to set an alert regardless if they are calling, texting or email.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I personally would KILL to have ability #3. There are certain contacts I NEED to be notified of no matter what my quite hours may be.

Can we get a verification on #4??? If this is true, it would solve one of my biggest complaints about WP!!!! Hopefully, that would allow you to set an alert regardless if they are calling, texting or email.

Aha i guess we might get #3 in a future update.. if a lot of people ask for it :p
#4 simply looks like the inner circle.. i'm hoping we can add more than one inner circle or at least sub categories.. and even if we cant we could just put everyone we want to break through in the one inner circle lol
right?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

1. Timed event like this can not be done at this time, it is on the roadmap, but you can always set a reminder and it will alert you.

2. You can do this now on WP8 and you can do this with WP8.1

3. You can already set a custom Ringtone/Text tone. You just can't light things up like you are asking.

4. This kind of tracking will be coming in the next several months. There are already several interests that you can track, but more will be added continuously.

Hope this helps.
4. No, groups are not enabled... yet...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
1. Timed event like this can not be done at this time, it is on the roadmap, but you can always set a reminder and it will alert you.

2. You can do this now on WP8 and you can do this with WP8.1

3. You can already set a custom Ringtone/Text tone. You just can't light things up like you are asking.

4. This kind of tracking will be coming in the next several months. There are already several interests that you can track, but more will be added continuously.

Hope this helps.
4. No, groups are not enabled... yet...

Oki just one follow-up questions.. So we only get to make one "inner circle group"? and how many people can we put in there?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Oki just one follow-up questions.. So we only get to make one "inner circle group"? and how many people can we put in there?

Seems like you got the answers already. :)

Yeah, only ONE inner circle group for now. I have 29 people in there (testing mainly) but under normal circumstances, I would have less than 10, so I have not maxed it out yet. Another post states 40.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Seems like you got the answers already. :)

Yeah, only ONE inner circle group for now. I have 29 people in there (testing mainly) but under normal circumstances, I would have less than 10, so I have not maxed it out yet. Another post states 40.

40 seems much :/ but some have a lot of important people i guess :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon