The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Hi Guys

Will developers in India be able to get Cortana as part of developer preview?
    04-08-2014 01:11 PM
    Hi Guys

it is safe to say no.
    04-08-2014 01:16 PM
    Hi Guys

From what I have read, Cortana will be released in the US first (This year) then Europe later this year and the rest of the world next year, according to the officials. But we devs don't always follow the officials so Here's what you do. This is also according to what I read. In order to get Cortana in India after you get the Dev Preview is just to change your region to the US and be about your business.

Worried about no Cortana love outside of US. Just change your region! | NPU
    nmkr007 likes this.
    04-08-2014 01:19 PM
    From what I have read, Cortana will be released in the US first (This year) then Europe later this year and the rest of the world next year, according to the officials. But we devs don't always follow the officials so Here's what you do. This is also according to what I read. In order to get Cortana in India after you get the Dev Preview is just to change your region to the US and be about your business.

Worried about no Cortana love outside of US. Just change your region! | NPU
    But this is not a permanent solution. Once you change your region back you might loose her.
    04-08-2014 01:24 PM
    But this is not a permanent solution. Once you change your region back you might loose her.
    Sounded so sad, she is highly personified. I suppose people will fall in love with Cortana, haha.. And Cortana will be "the other woman" in every man's life. ;)
    Ankit Nawlakha likes this.
    04-08-2014 01:44 PM
    Just change your region to US! I mean, are there any downsides to switching to US region? As long as you know english and can talk to cortana in english, you're golden
    04-08-2014 03:46 PM
    are there any downsides to switching to US region?
    There may not be any downsides for the guy that switched his region, but there are likely to be downsides for the rest of us who actually live in that region.

Microsoft will be tuning Cortana based on input from the region; if a large chunk of the input they're getting is actually from a different region, this could skew their tuning efforts badly. Given how few windows phones there are in the US right now, and how many there are in other parts of the world, you could potentially see a situation where the majority of the people using Cortana "in the US Region" are actually from Europe, India, or South America, and Microsoft will never get Cortana working right for the US.
    04-09-2014 08:28 AM
    Doesn't really matter. No-one much uses WP in the US, so hardly anyone will notice.
    04-09-2014 08:38 AM
    I never change back my region to India until cortana has arrived to India.
    04-09-2014 08:50 AM
    Anyone changed your region?
    04-09-2014 09:05 AM
    Here's a Suggestion for Mobile Nations..
    Please add one more column on all the websites called "FAQs"..
    Because there are a lot of questions which are answered everyday.. and those questions are common and similar..!!
    It will be very helpful to newbies who are looking to get their questions answered (without searching the respective forums and thus creating a new thread) which are already answered several times..!
    04-09-2014 09:34 AM
    Here's a Suggestion for Mobile Nations..
    Please add one more column on all the websites called "FAQs"..
    Because there are a lot of questions which are answered everyday.. and those questions are common and similar..!!
    It will be very helpful to newbies who are looking to get their questions answered (without searching the respective forums and thus creating a new thread) which are already answered several times..!
    It's cute how you think that will stop people from asking the same questions over and over again in multiple threads.

04-10-2014 08:12 AM
    How to change region? And is it safe?
    04-10-2014 08:37 AM
    Go to settings and Language and region. there you can change it, and yes it's save.

I live in The Netherlands but i always change the region to US.
    More apps available and on the Xbox One the games are 15 euro's cheaper too, more stuff to download and so much more.

You need to restart your phone ones and your done.
    You can change it as many times you want.
    rockstarzzz and Athul Paul like this.
    04-10-2014 01:26 PM
    This trick won't work and Cortana isn't present in developer previews outside of the USA
    flyingsolid likes this.
    04-14-2014 07:32 AM
    I installed WP8.1, after that, I changed the region to US and checked for updates in Phone update. Surprise! I got an update which I'm still installing. I don't know what is it about but I do hope it's Cortana.
    04-14-2014 07:40 AM
    I installed WP8.1, after that, I changed the region to US and checked for updates in Phone update. Surprise! I got an update which I'm still installing. I don't know what is it about but I do hope it's Cortana.
    Please keep us informed about the update...mine is till downloading 8.1 with region set to US
    04-14-2014 07:43 AM
    hermantj in another thread said it actually is Cortana! :D I forgot to mention I changed language and speech too though.

Edit: it is NOT Cortana =(

Edit 2: Oh, it IS Cortana!

Change your language, speech and region to US. Then check for updates in Phone update. After that, Cortana will appear as an app in the app list (still WON'T appear pressing the search button).
    Last edited by bemiquel; 04-14-2014 at 08:02 AM.
    04-14-2014 07:45 AM
    If the above fails - Hard reset you phone - set region to USA during set up and it should work. I am on spinning wheels after hard reset, if it works, I will update you guys.
    04-14-2014 08:04 AM
    hermantj in another thread said it actually is Cortana! :D I forgot to mention I changed language and speech too though.

Edit: it is NOT Cortana =(

Edit 2: Oh, it IS Cortana!

Change your language, speech and region to US. Then check for updates in Phone update. After that, Cortana will appear as an app in the app list (still WON'T appear pressing the search button).
    thx for the solution... i'll try it :D
    04-14-2014 09:32 AM
    I love when the uniformed run their yap. It makes the face palm all the more sweeter.

market share | WMPoweruser
    04-15-2014 03:27 PM
    Don't judge to quickly... The trick does work however you need an extra step and that is to make the language on the phone primarily English of United states. Do that by going to settings, language, change whatever English you have you US English
    04-17-2014 01:51 AM
    And you speech settings to US English too
    04-17-2014 01:52 AM