How do you plan to use Cortana, day to day?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Myself, I currently text while in the car, using the TellMe service on WP8, so I'm hoping for better texting abilities in Cortana. Then there's the search for a destination that I believe will be better integrated in WP8.1. How do you plan on using Cortana?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Texting in the car. Right now, it's pretty good, but sometimes, it has a problem with technical words.
Me: MPLS router
928: Empty less roofer
Me: Try again...

I've been trying to switch to WhatsApp to just capture my voice itself and not translate. It doesn't integrate as well with my car.

The biggie is going to be reminders.
Cortana, remind me to follow up with Bob about the MPLS routers by Friday. Attach the meeting notes from today's meeting.

Another thing I thought I saw was proximity based activity, for example: Turning on and off WiFi based on location, reminders for grocery items when I am at the grocery store, things like that.
*I could be wrong on this one but I THOUGHT I read that Cortana could do that.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ah - I forgot about reminders! And since I forgot, that's probably a pretty good indication that I could use some. I can see this scenario at my house: "Cortana, remind me when I get to the bathroom that I went there to take an advil." Thirty seconds later, I'll be standing at the sink, and then within seconds, Cortana will come to my rescue.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I can see this scenario at my house: "Cortana, remind me when I get to the bathroom that I went there to take an advil." Thirty seconds later, I'll be standing at the sink, and then within seconds, Cortana will come to my rescue.

Been there... ;-)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Another thing I thought I saw was proximity based activity, for example: Turning on and off WiFi based on location, reminders for grocery items when I am at the grocery store, things like that.
*I could be wrong on this one but I THOUGHT I read that Cortana could do that.
You are correct. Geofencing is part of the new API.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
1. Traffic warnings for work
2. Constant reminders because my memory sucks.
3. In the car for texting, music, and navigation.
4. Appointments.
5. Quiet hours for work.
6. Third party app launching when hands are not completely free.
7. Inner circle is awesome

Still waiting on what it can really do in real world.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Probably gonna uninstall some news readers, weather apps, and the like and just use Cortana for all that functionality. Also, it would be great for reminders of sports game times, i.e. Flyers, Eagles, Phillies games. In addition, i would love to use Cortana for the random inquiry that i need answered that comes up in conversation. I would love to have touchless-controls for Xbox Music, too, so i don't have to put myself at risk in my car and switch the song.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I'll use Cortana.
I'm a feature geekster though so it will be fun to explore.
Gives me sumpthin to do.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
1. Traffic warnings for work
2. Constant reminders because my memory sucks.
3. In the car for texting, music, and navigation.
4. Appointments.
5. Quiet hours for work.
6. Third party app launching when hands are not completely free.
7. Inner circle is awesome

Still waiting on what it can really do in real world.

These types of uses will probably end up being more useful than the voice assistant for most users. I use Google Now for these types of things all the time, but I don't often speak to it out loud.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't think I'll use it at all)) if it will text for me in whatsapp (in russian) while I drive maaaybe I'll try it

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't. It'll be a nice gimmick to show off to friends, but I don't see any personal use for it.

Scenario - you are already in bed, nearly half asleep, lights are off and then your brain goes mental and reminds you that you've forgotten to put alarm to wake up tomorrow! Will you still open your eyes and want to see that bright screen right in your face? Or just pick up your phone, bring up Cortana and say "Wake me up tomorrow at 6am" and she will say "Okay, I've set an alarm for 6am for you, Laura".

Come on! There has to be atleast this instant when you won't call her a gimmick! We love her :(

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Scenario - you are already in bed, nearly half asleep, lights are off and then your brain goes mental and reminds you that you've forgotten to put alarm to wake up tomorrow! Will you still open your eyes and want to see that bright screen right in your face? Or just pick up your phone, bring up Cortana and say "Wake me up tomorrow at 6am" and she will say "Okay, I've set an alarm for 6am for you, Laura".

Come on! There has to be atleast this instant when you won't call her a gimmick! We love her :(
One of my friends was constantly showing me Siri when Siri was new. Now she doesn't even bother showing me Siri, much less using Siri.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
One of my friends was constantly showing me Siri when Siri was new. Now she doesn't even bother showing me Siri, much less using Siri.

Hello Laura, you won't even use the reminders? like the one they demonstrated *sister calls and cortana gives a reminder what to ask or talk about*?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hello Laura, you won't even use the reminders? like the one they demonstrated *sister calls and cortana gives a reminder what to ask or talk about*?

I really don't have much need for reminders, other than appointments, and I use Outlook from Office 365 for those.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb