"Ask Cortana" VS "Google it"

bitwise

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's face it ladies and gents... "Bing it" will never catch on. Let's stop making Bing happen, because it's never gonna happen.

What I think Microsoft should do is to make Cortana the sole UI for any search/assistance related features in all its products and services. Just add a tag (really very small) Powered by Bing, to still recognize the effort of the Bing team.

I've read that one of the biggest problems of Microsoft is the easy recall of people with Google. Putting Cortana as the UI has a better chance of gaining recall, and could also act as that one service that will bind all of Microsoft's product.

Do you agree?

Highdefjunkie

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's already happening. It's going to be on WP first then their other products. Here's the thing. MS doesn't care if Bing is cool or not. As long as people use it and people are using it without even knowing it. You do realize that iCloud is on Azure and Siri is powered by Bing right? As is Yahoo search. Bing is a backbone for a whole lotta ****. Bing goes beyond the website bing.com.

draconianchaos

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
It could be a good move. I'm not too sure bing ever caught on real well. If I recall correctly it had a terrible image in it's infancy as well. When you add the fact search is Google's original business model. I think the similarity in your proposed phrase versus the incumbent might have lead to condescending remarks when viewed through the lens of bing's infancy. Ask Cortana is a different approach though it may come under fire from Apple people. Personally I don't think Google's voice search in Google now is very good. It definitely pales in comparison to Siri.
Tl;dr
I think Microsoft is changing fronts with this proposed rebranding of search. Pitting Cortana against Siri rather than Bing against Google. Fighting Apple rather than Google. I think this is a good move as Google is just too entrenched in search.
I now realize perhaps I shouldn't have typed this on the sole Android device that registers a signature...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Just Bing it!! Just Bing it...

Michael-Jackson---Beat-It-.jpg

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft could really learn something from Apple about selling a brand. Microsoft is pretty clueless. Bing should be the brand for all content (search, music, video, photos, cloud storage, online news). But Microsoft screwed it up by using their gaming brand for their content services. Now they're dropping the Bing brand from their online content apps (news, sports, weather, travel, health, food). But for some reason they're still using the MSN brand. They're like a genius with ADD. They keep starting good products and services and then abandoning them. They don't even figure out what they already have before they start something new.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Ya guys Bing has improved a lot.only problem is it is not being used.I only use Bing in my wp8. It's quite good even in India.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that's already happening. It's going to be on WP first then their other products. Here's the thing. MS doesn't care if Bing is cool or not. As long as people use it and people are using it without even knowing it. You do realize that iCloud is on Azure and Siri is powered by Bing right? As is Yahoo search. Bing is a backbone for a whole lotta ****. Bing goes beyond the website bing.com.

Cortana, Siri, Yahoo and several other products are powered by Bing. People have this misconception (albeit purposefully) that Bing is just a Search Engine. It's not. Bing is an entire PLATFORM, just so happens that a search engine is the front end that most people use/see.

I support the Bing Platform. It's my job. There is SO MUCH that goes into giving what you get and helping you search and return more relevant data, the infrastructure behind it is ASTOUNDING. The work it takes to keep it up and running and continuing to improve on what we already deliver is never ending. There will be a LOT coming from Bing in the future. People even may know that it's powered by Bing, either way Bing is so much more than a search engine.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you could clarify what you mean by an 'entire platform' for those less technically-inclined. 'Cause it really is pretty cool.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Every since the birth of BING it has been called But. ITs. Not. Google.

So yeah im all for asking cortana but then there is ask jeeves

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you could clarify what you mean by an 'entire platform' for those less technically-inclined. 'Cause it really is pretty cool.

At it's heart, Bing knows things. Meaning you ask it something and it will go get it. The thing is, as people use it, Bing needs to be smarter, but it can't just keep growing inside itself, it needs helpers.

So, came the Bing Platform.

Teams of developers are dedicated to developing features and helper apps on the platform that help Bing do things smarter and easier for you.

For example: Start typing a search query and you get a dropdown of suggestions as you type.

That suggestion dropdown is a separate app that runs on the Bing Platform that helps Bing help you! Same with things like Spelling, showing Maps and the entire Advertising platform is built on Bing (why it's called Bing Ads)!

So, instead of making Bing itself bloated at the core, the platform design allows us to add features and functions without slowing down the core search capabilities.

Yeah, it's freaking cool!!! :D

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
At it's heart, Bing knows things. Meaning you ask it something and it will go get it. The thing is, as people use it, Bing needs to be smarter, but it can't just keep growing inside itself, it needs helpers.

So, came the Bing Platform.

Teams of developers are dedicated to developing features and helper apps on the platform that help Bing do things smarter and easier for you.

For example: Start typing a search query and you get a dropdown of suggestions as you type.

That suggestion dropdown is a separate app that runs on the Bing Platform that helps Bing help you! Same with things like Spelling, showing Maps and the entire Advertising platform is built on Bing (why it's called Bing Ads)!

So, instead of making Bing itself bloated at the core, the platform design allows us to add features and functions without slowing down the core search capabilities.

Yeah, it's freaking cool!!! :D

Google has a drop down when you search, heck even pulls results real time and modifies them... does spell check, Google Maps, Google ads - how is all that still different to or inferior to Bing "platform"?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Google has a drop down when you search, heck even pulls results real time and modifies them... does spell check, Google Maps, Google ads - how is all that still different to or inferior to Bing "platform"?

I wish I could tell you, but I don't have an insight into their infrastructure so I can't give a definitive response to that.

I just know that Bing being run more as a platform than an application service is one of the things that stand us apart. If someone could shed some light on the Google side of the house, that would be awesome for comparisons!

One of the biggest advantages for the platform approach is that each part of the search experience can be updated/enhanced and deployed on their own, rather than waiting for a major deployment cycle. It allows us to be more proactive and also reactive when needed.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Same as Android will never catch iOS and Symbian. Check how it is right now.

Everything can change, everyone says that android is here to stay but i don't think so. It has way too much flaws to stay. Some other new OS will push it away if WP won't manage to do so
Let's face if we all were trying to be "Cool" we wouldn't be using WP. We use it because we enjoy it. It's our preference and that kicks ***.
This, if i wanted to impress my friends i would have bought Samesung, all i wanted is safe/reliable/future proof phone, which WP OS delivers, aswell i ******* love metro design, althought medium tile sucks and is completely useless with most of apps, i really hope they will improve medium tile

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
All I gotta say is we can debate the merits of Bing till we are blue in the face. A lot of stuff we use runs on Bing. Even the Xbox runs on Bing. Cortana is Microsoft's answer to Siri and Google Now (google nows code name was majil). At least Microsoft owns the cortana name or we would be calling her Bing voice clippy. I think Bing will stay itself but as everyone says a search backbone. Bing.com will always be around. Google is first and foremost a search engine company, and everything they own run's on that Google search algorithm, even the self driving cars. Microsoft is first and foremost a software company and everything even Xbox and Bing runs on Microsoft software. So to criticize Microsoft for dropping the Bing name from things is dumb.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
All I gotta say is we can debate the merits of Bing till we are blue in the face. A lot of stuff we use runs on Bing. Even the Xbox runs on Bing. Cortana is Microsoft's answer to Siri and Google Now (google nows code name was majil). At least Microsoft owns the cortana name or we would be calling her Bing voice clippy. I think Bing will stay itself but as everyone says a search backbone. Bing.com will always be around. Google is first and foremost a search engine company, and everything they own run's on that Google search algorithm, even the self driving cars. Microsoft is first and foremost a software company and everything even Xbox and Bing runs on Microsoft software. So to criticize Microsoft for dropping the Bing name from things is dumb.

I agree and appreciate the comment... but one small correction. The Cortana name is owned by Bungie, we had to work with them to be able to use it. :D

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the name Bing has an instant association with the Bada Bing strip club in The Sopranos TV show. That's not a good association for Microsoft.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb