09-26-2016 05:29 PM
264 ... 891011
tools
    Many HTC 8X/S units are either carrier locked to the countries language and/or HTC did not add US English in the ROM so there is no way to set US English as the phone language. My phone is unlocked from Rogers Canada and it is set in the ROM to Canadian English and it cannot be changed.
    SwimSwim likes this.
    05-03-2014 11:01 AM
    Hello guys,

If you could perhaps help me with this issue. I cannot enable Cortana on my device, since i can't select English (US) as phone language.
    Any tips? I am running Windows 8.1 developer edition on HTC 8X. Even after i change region and everything else, i still can't select phone language as US.

wp_ss_20140517_0001.jpg
    05-17-2014 07:53 AM
    Hello guys,

If you could perhaps help me with this issue. I cannot enable Cortana on my device, since i can't select English (US) as phone language.
    Any tips? I am running Windows 8.1 developer edition on HTC 8X. Even after i change region and everything else, i still can't select phone language as US.
    Seriously? Read the post above yours...
    05-17-2014 08:11 AM
    can Cortana record voice mail in the device during quite hours instead of sending busy tone to the caller?
    07-20-2014 07:55 AM
    Cortana not working on either US or UK settings (Region, Region format, Language, Keyboard and Speech). Tried removing all but US, still no Cortana anywhere (Settings, applist or when pressing search button). Tried EVERYTHING (even setting the time to US settings), and double checked that everything is set correctly (including Location). Also applied settings via the restart button that pops up after setting region to make sure that it's applied.
    08-05-2014 06:46 PM
    Hi,

I am using L1020 in Belgium. I installed Dev Preview for windows phone 8.1 update 1. Trying to setup cortana, it just ddoes not show up. Can someone please guide me what am i doing wrong? Please see the screen shots below for my settings. I also tried soft reset without any luck.

Awaiting your help

Thanks

wp_ss_20140809_0001.jpgwp_ss_20140809_0002.jpgwp_ss_20140809_0003.jpgwp_ss_20140809_0004.jpgwp_ss_20140809_0005.jpg
    08-10-2014 07:48 AM
    Hard Reset did the trick
    08-12-2014 02:43 AM
    can Cortana record voice mail in the device during quite hours instead of sending busy tone to the caller?

What do you mean? Having Quite Hours on still treats all notifications the same, your phone simply doesn't buzz, beep, light up or anything, so you aren't bothered.

You can set up Cortana to let people know you're busy, but unless you set that up: Everything is treated normally, you just don't notice anything.
    08-20-2014 11:09 PM
    Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread. Is there a way to set Cortana to NOT censor texts when dictating the message? When I'm driving I can read and send texts using Cortana through my cars entertainment system. If I get a text and it has swearing in it, Cortana will happily read the words, but when I send a text, any swearing is censored and the text is hidden with *'s. I've seen others have come across this when doing a google search, but I haven't seen anything about a setting to sort this. Is there one, or do we just have to put up with the silly one sided censorship?
    09-14-2014 07:22 PM
    Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread. Is there a way to set Cortana to NOT censor texts when dictating the message? When I'm driving I can read and send texts using Cortana through my cars entertainment system. If I get a text and it has swearing in it, Cortana will happily read the words, but when I send a text, any swearing is censored and the text is hidden with *'s. I've seen others have come across this when doing a google search, but I haven't seen anything about a setting to sort this. Is there one, or do we just have to put up with the silly one sided censorship?
    I think the problem is that Microsoft doesn't want its digital assistant to be speaking naughty words, due to public image.
    09-14-2014 07:55 PM
    I think the problem is that Microsoft doesn't want its digital assistant to be speaking naughty words, due to public image.
    But when I receive a text message it will read it out including the obscene words. It's only censoring when I'm sending a text, so a bit pointless when it's only doing it one way.
    09-14-2014 08:25 PM
    When I open Cortana in my Lumia 620, its prompting "I'm afraid I'm not available to help in your region with the language you've chosen" with a close button. I'm from India. I have set my Region to India and Regional format to English (India). Pls help me to make use of cortana.
    09-15-2014 01:40 PM
    go to settings and select language as English (united kingdom).

Reboot would be required and your cortana will be ready to hellp you. :)
    12-03-2014 02:26 AM
    wp_ss_20150218_0010.jpg
    I just received the Lumia Denim update last night, Cortana being the main feature.
    the problem is; whenever I open the Cortana bar, i get the following error message(I've taken the screenshot of it).
    to enable cortana, I even changed the language settings from *English(India)* to *English(United States)*, but in vain.
    will you please suggest me what to do next?
    a Lumia 525 user in India. :)
    02-17-2015 09:37 PM
    Check this link, thread number 2
    02-17-2015 09:49 PM
    thanks @Lumiaphone525 but my cortana is in Beta stage.
    how do I workout on it?
    02-17-2015 10:28 PM
    Cortana in US and UK setting still in Beta while India, Canada, Australia in Alpha. Just play around with your Cortana until she learn about you. See in this thread what you can do with Cortana.
    02-17-2015 10:36 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wp_ss_20150218_0010.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	97519
    I just received the Lumia Denim update last night, Cortana being the main feature.
    the problem is; whenever I open the Cortana bar, i get the following error message(I've taken the screenshot of it).
    to enable cortana, I even changed the language settings from *English(India)* to *English(United States)*, but in vain.
    will you please suggest me what to do next?
    a Lumia 525 user in India. :)
    Did you go through phone update to update ur phone?? I mean it says up to date foe me
    02-17-2015 10:55 PM
    Thank you @Lumiaphone525. I've updated with the Cortana. But obe BIG issue has cropped up. Until late evening, all went on fine, but then my keyboard suddemly stopped giving me suggestions of words. Moreover, even the swipe gesture for typing has stopped working. I'm not sure if this issue is due to the changelog of my settings enabled for cortana. Typing without swipe gesture and without the use of autocorrect is taking me centuries to type one 10 letter sentence. Would you please help me out!?
    02-18-2015 11:51 AM
    Try soft reset. Also check your keyboard setting. Just make sure all the suggestions are tick.
    02-18-2015 12:07 PM
    Is there anyway to reset Cortana to "default" settings?
    02-18-2015 12:15 PM
    Ive done everything what you said well before i posted my issue. Soft reset 2 times, keyboard checking 3 times, but nothing happened. And one more thing is, my phone's battery is draining too quickly tonight, rather than what it drains usually every night. Ive very handful off apps running in background(includes cortana).
    02-18-2015 12:20 PM
    Ive done everything what you said well before i posted my issue. Soft reset 2 times, keyboard checking 3 times, but nothing happened. And one more thing is, my phone's battery is draining too quickly tonight, rather than what it drains usually every night. Ive very handful off apps running in background(includes cortana).
    Next step is a hard reset...it should definitely help the battery drain. It's a not a rare problem after an update.

Be aware that a hard reset will wipe your phone, but will keep the OS and firmware. Back up your apps and start screen settings before resetting.
    Lumiaphone525 likes this.
    02-18-2015 12:35 PM
    Is there anyway to reset Cortana to "default" settings?
    See this thread
    Lost 2 Shirts likes this.
    02-18-2015 12:40 PM
    Both the features i.e. Autocorrect and Swipe Keyboard are working pretty well alike before last night. I just rolled back the 'speech origin' in the settings as India and did just a single soft reset now. And my phone's everything is back to normalcy. But yes, the Cortana again shows the same error code stating She cannot be made available to me in my region. I know I've done something not very useful by taking Cortana out of shape in my phone, but the thing is I do not have much to work with Her.
    Anyway, Thank you for taking me through. 😊
    02-18-2015 09:13 PM
264 ... 891011