The Cortana Setup Guide

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
That'd be awesome. Would really love to see this, along with reminders that repeat every few hours for a given duration, and reminders that only activate under certain preset conditions (such as a change in weather).

Weather is tough. Most weather apps and sites don't even work real-time unless the weather is severe.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Weather is tough. Most weather apps and sites don't even work real-time unless the weather is severe.

Even if it just updated in the background in every half hour, and noticed that "current forecast" contained rain: that'd be wonderful. No other platform does this, it'd be nice for Microsoft to be a trailblazer for once. After all, if they perfect it, it'd be invaluable, and something that could be very useful and put Cortana far ahead of other platforms.

MillionMonks

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I wish there is a setting to enable use of earphones. Kinda like, long pressing volume button to activate cortana. I don't really fancy myself talking in front of my phone in public.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I wish there is a setting to enable use of earphones. Kinda like, long pressing volume button to activate cortana. I don't really fancy myself talking in front of my phone in public.

TellMe worked with earphones that had buttons. Long press the play/pause button and TellMe would activate, so I'd assume Cortana works the same. Of course, you have to have earphones whose buttons actually function and play nicely with Windows Phone. I know that Apple's earpods (not using them by choice, hate those little buggers) don't play nicely with Windows Phone, and as such: none of the buttons do anything. They're all duds when plugged into a WP device.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Even if it just updated in the background in every half hour, and noticed that "current forecast" contained rain: that'd be wonderful. No other platform does this, it'd be nice for Microsoft to be a trailblazer for once. After all, if they perfect it, it'd be invaluable, and something that could be very useful and put Cortana far ahead of other platforms.

That would be cool. It kinda does that with the "Lets get your day started", but to make them actionable would be nice. It would be great if the forecasts were pushed when they change so as not to drain battery. I live in an area where the weather is pretty consistent, so the forecast doesn't change that much.

Most weather forecasts do do weather by the hour, could tie into that too.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
TellMe worked with earphones that had buttons. Long press the play/pause button and TellMe would activate, so I'd assume Cortana works the same. Of course, you have to have earphones whose buttons actually function and play nicely with Windows Phone. I know that Apple's earpods (not using them by choice, hate those little buggers) don't play nicely with Windows Phone, and as such: none of the buttons do anything. They're all duds when plugged into a WP device.

I have a bluetooth headset, and it works as above. Hold the button for a second (the second is specific to the headset), and Cortana wakes up.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Hello all, Thanks for the replys, I can't get Cortana to Play a Playlist. For those how can please expand on how you are getting Play Playlists to work.

Thank you,
MTWIZARD

Works for me, even for a playlist I have with a single letter for its name. I just say play "playlist name" and it works. Also works when you type the same command.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Works for me, even for a playlist I have with a single letter for its name. I just say play "playlist name" and it works. Also works when you type the same command.

Still doesn't work for me, and WPC just posted how this feature is coming (Search | Windows Phone Central)
[NOTE]•Numerous stability fixes, including many of the reported black screens
•Cortana integration is complete and now supports playing playlists by name
•UI polish to improve animations and transitions between UI views
•Improved messaging for encountered errors, such as unplayable content in collections
•Background initial sync of local and cloud content
[/NOTE]

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed the same, seems weird. :/

I believe the new back (suspend) functionality only works for WP8.1 developed Store Apps, don't believe 8.0 and Silverlight apps support it (yet). There's an article out there that breaks down the changes from a developer's perspective, it's a bit heady, but is interesting if you're into that stuff. There's a bunch of stuff that changed under the hood around the different APIs that Devs are becoming familiar with, part of that is how to handle the back button, so you should start to see changes as the updates roll out.

Koko GIno

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, Thanks for the replys, I can't get Cortana to Play a Playlist. For those how can please expand on how you are getting Play Playlists to work.

Thank you,
MTWIZARD

I have a playlist named Speedy so all I say is "Play Speedy." It's worked everytime I've tried it.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I believe the new back (suspend) functionality only works for WP8.1 developed Store Apps, don't believe 8.0 and Silverlight apps support it (yet). There's an article out there that breaks down the changes from a developer's perspective, it's a bit heady, but is interesting if you're into that stuff. There's a bunch of stuff that changed under the hood around the different APIs that Devs are becoming familiar with, part of that is how to handle the back button, so you should start to see changes as the updates roll out.

Yes, I've noticed the same. Because apps that take advantage of new 8.1 features (Mostly built in apps, like Battery Saver) resume right where you left if you press the back button, yet restart completely if you swipe to close or press the X. So yeah, it's only available in apps updated for 8.1.

Also, care to share the aforementioned article? I'd like to give it a good read.

Koko GIno

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Still doesn't work for me, and WPC just posted how this feature is coming (Search | Windows Phone Central)
[NOTE]•Numerous stability fixes, including many of the reported black screens
•Cortana integration is complete and now supports playing playlists by name
•UI polish to improve animations and transitions between UI views
•Improved messaging for encountered errors, such as unplayable content in collections
•Background initial sync of local and cloud content
[/NOTE]

I saw that info too and thought it was weird because I haven't had any problem playing mine with Cortana.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Then perhaps the update is to make it work consistently? Because Cortana has no issue playing specific songs, all music by artist or album, yet she refuses to acknowledge playlists.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've noticed the same. Because apps that take advantage of new 8.1 features (Mostly built in apps, like Battery Saver) resume right where you left if you press the back button, yet restart completely if you swipe to close or press the X. So yeah, it's only available in apps updated for 8.1.

Also, care to share the aforementioned article? I'd like to give it a good read.

Yup, here you go: Windows Phone 8.1: a lap around the new development features| qmatteoq.com

Wonder if he's a member here...

WesleyBPeres

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
No way to get the initial setup... Already did a hard reset WITH backup and already did a hard reset WITHOUT backup. I just want to do this after Cortana get out of Beta.

I would like to have a way to use her inside an app. It could be like when you long press back she could be there and you could just drag her to the app that you want to use... In the app, she would ask: "What can I do here?".

EX: drag her to the Translator and ask her to copy the text translated and past in a message.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
No way to get the initial setup... Already did a hard reset WITH backup and already did a hard reset WITHOUT backup. I just want to do this after Cortana get out of Beta.

I would like to have a way to use her inside an app. It could be like when you long press back she could be there and you could just drag her to the app that you want to use... In the app, she would ask: "What can I do here?".

EX: drag her to the Translator and ask her to copy the text translated and past in a message.

Please follow this thread. I will be updating it as often as I get info: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cortana/277645-cortana-news-coming-inside-op-being-updated.html

harsh mathur1

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey.. I'm currently using indian region.. If I change it to US for Cortana .. Will I face any problem in future.. As many apps use my location to work.. Help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)