The Cortana Setup Guide

Lumiaphone525

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Cortana in US and UK setting still in Beta while India, Canada, Australia in Alpha. Just play around with your Cortana until she learn about you. See in this thread what you can do with Cortana.

chandu95

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 97519
I just received the Lumia Denim update last night, Cortana being the main feature.
the problem is; whenever I open the Cortana bar, i get the following error message(I've taken the screenshot of it).
to enable cortana, I even changed the language settings from *English(India)* to *English(United States)*, but in vain.
will you please suggest me what to do next?
a Lumia 525 user in India. :)

Did you go through phone update to update ur phone?? I mean it says up to date foe me

Rohit Kochar Jain

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thank you @Lumiaphone525. I've updated with the Cortana. But obe BIG issue has cropped up. Until late evening, all went on fine, but then my keyboard suddemly stopped giving me suggestions of words. Moreover, even the swipe gesture for typing has stopped working. I'm not sure if this issue is due to the changelog of my settings enabled for cortana. Typing without swipe gesture and without the use of autocorrect is taking me centuries to type one 10 letter sentence. Would you please help me out!?

Rohit Kochar Jain

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Ive done everything what you said well before i posted my issue. Soft reset 2 times, keyboard checking 3 times, but nothing happened. And one more thing is, my phone's battery is draining too quickly tonight, rather than what it drains usually every night. Ive very handful off apps running in background(includes cortana).

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Ive done everything what you said well before i posted my issue. Soft reset 2 times, keyboard checking 3 times, but nothing happened. And one more thing is, my phone's battery is draining too quickly tonight, rather than what it drains usually every night. Ive very handful off apps running in background(includes cortana).

Next step is a hard reset...it should definitely help the battery drain. It's a not a rare problem after an update.

Be aware that a hard reset will wipe your phone, but will keep the OS and firmware. Back up your apps and start screen settings before resetting.

Rohit Kochar Jain

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Both the features i.e. Autocorrect and Swipe Keyboard are working pretty well alike before last night. I just rolled back the 'speech origin' in the settings as India and did just a single soft reset now. And my phone's everything is back to normalcy. But yes, the Cortana again shows the same error code stating She cannot be made available to me in my region. I know I've done something not very useful by taking Cortana out of shape in my phone, but the thing is I do not have much to work with Her.
Anyway, Thank you for taking me through. 😊

Chirag Shah1

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I am not able to use cortana, everytime i try to start it i get a message - you have to be older to start using it, any way i can verify my age?

Eric Adler

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I have Cortana set up great on my phone. but when I click on my Microsoft Band I get "Nothing new...check back in a few". Any suggestions?

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I love how Cortana reads and lets me respond to text messages through my car's audio system. Is there a way to "Activate" Cortana from a Steering Wheel button so I can tell her to send a Text to someone? Now I have to physically activate her and then I can talk to her through the car's audio system. Want to be able to activate her without reaching for the phone....

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I love how Cortana reads and lets me respond to text messages through my car's audio system. Is there a way to "Activate" Cortana from a Steering Wheel button so I can tell her to send a Text to someone? Now I have to physically activate her and then I can talk to her through the car's audio system. Want to be able to activate her without reaching for the phone....

As long as you have 8.1.1, she should be listed as a contact. Tell your hands free dialer, "Call Cortana".

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Does your car's stereo/info system have a Voice Control Key? This is the name of a soft button on my aftermarket Pioneer stereo. I have only ever had my Lumia 920 with this stereo and it has always opened the original WP 8.0 and 8.1 speech recognition service or Cortana when pressing it, the same as pressing and holding the Windows capacitive button and now Search capacitive button respectively. There was no setup of the button required from either the phone or stereo other than the initial Bluetooth pairing of the two devices; it goes to speech recognition/Cortana out of the box.

I would think any newer vehicle with Bluetooth preinstalled or a recent aftermarket device with Bluetooth would have this capability in the form of a soft button on a screen or a fixed button on the vehicle's dashboard somewhere. Steering wheel controls are another story. I have seen aftermarket wired controllers with programmable buttons for steering wheels but they only work with manufacturer specific devices.

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a question for those who aren't based in the US (UK ideally) and I'm sorry if this has been answered before.

Is there a way to optimise Cortana to use the US version of Bing for worldwide searches? As the worldwide version is by far the better search engine for date searches and listings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss