What U will Do to get CORTANA (non - us)

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 62361

I don't know why...please help me!:) I have waited for Cortana too loong:(

you don't need to remove the other languages as my one works with the English US and the English UK listed, try removing the us one and add it again, i am just trying my other phone to see if i missed anything to get it working i don't think i have but will update in a moment, it may be just the restarts, after each section it asks to restart the phone you must do each restart..YES i have just finished updating my other phone and you must do a restart after each point in my post below I updated it now scroll down to see.. Good Luck

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
On my Lumia 920 I set my region settings to US before installing 8.1 and Cortana loaded as it should. After installing the UK language pack afterwards, Cortana vanished. Deleting the US language then installing it again caused Cortana to appear again, though I removed the UK language afterwards just to be safe.

To be honest though, as a Brit using Cortana, you aren't missing much. Non-US Bing services are as poor as ever, and the voice recognition still chokes one too many times WAY too many times for me to regularly choose Cortana as opposed to finding the information myself.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have updated the instructions to get Cortana working hope it works for you

To get Cortana working you need to (non US)...

1. go to settings then select language ..if you have English (United States) make sure it is listed at the top of the list, you need to long press it and choose move up if it is at the bottom, if you only have one language then you don't need to bother moving it, if you don;t have English (United States) then select add languages and choose English (United States).. if it doesn't work you may need to delete the English (United States) and add it again selecting add languages you will be asked if you want to install the language just say install or ok, also it should look something like this (RESTART PHONE)

English (United States)
Phone Language: enabled
Regional format: enabled
Speech: enabled
Keyboard: english

2. go to settings and then select region and change country/region to United States and you must also set regional format to United States (RESTART PHONE)

3. go to settings and then select speech and then select speech language and change to English United States (RESTART IF NEEDED)

then restart the phone and Cortana should be working great with the search button

also you should look on your app list cortana should be there then pin it to your start screen, then click it and follow the Cortana Setup

There is now a WPCENTRAL news article by Rich Edmonds with clearer instructions than mine here is a link
http://www.windowscentral.com/want-cortana-outside-us-heres-how

Last edited:

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I had Cortana right after the installation of wp8.1.
For those who haven't installed it yet, just set everything to English US (language, region, speech). Then restart your phone. Then install wp8.1. And it will be fine ;)

SharkLaserz

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
HTC 8X, unable to set phone language to US English. I'm a tech-nerd myself, but I am unable to figure out what to do. Have done multiple hard resets; on the setup after the reset, there is no option for English US either. Help?

wp_ss_20140414_0003.jpg wp_ss_20140414_0004.jpg

waltzik

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
i guess cortana is having problems understanding my accent as it's no where near American accent but it still catch parts and bit of what i say. Between for a beta app i would say the integration and functionality is Awesome. A satisfied customer from Ukraine. thanks Microsoft and guys here for sharing method to getting cortana rocking :)

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
HTC 8X, unable to set phone language to US English. I'm a tech-nerd myself, but I am unable to figure out what to do. Have done multiple hard resets; on the setup after the reset, there is no option for English US either. Help?

Remove US English and install it again. That'll set US to default again.

Chris Yarrow

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Not working on HTC 8X - Having the same issue as SharkLaserz - no way to set "phone language" to English (US) even though speech, region and keyboard all set to English (US).

jefftovar98

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I live in the U.S. and I am of Spanish heritage so I have my language settings to Spanish but for some reason I can't find Cortana even though my tone zone I'd set to be in the U.S.???

bologni

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 62380 View attachment 62381

lumia 720 user here, and happen the same.
All day been trying to figure how, but can't delete the us language and re download.

i give up, full reset is the option now i think.

BeatSync

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I noticed my Microsoft Account Country was set to United Kingdom. The same as my phone language in WP 8.1 which I cannot change on the device. I've changed to the United States but it has not updated on the device.

I am wondering if doing a hard reset and then reconnecting my Microsoft Account after changing my Country on it will have any affect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon