What U will Do to get CORTANA (non - us)

bologni

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I noticed my Microsoft Account Country was set to United Kingdom. The same as my phone language in WP 8.1 which I cannot change on the device. I've changed to the United States but it has not updated on the device.

I am wondering if doing a hard reset and then reconnecting my Microsoft Account after changing my Country on it will have any affect.

i even create a new account with us location, and nothing. Lumia 720.

BeatSync

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
i even create a new account with us location, and nothing. Lumia 720.

Try downloading an additional language. Before I could only set to UK until I downloaded another...

But now it lets me change to either, if I move the language to the top. When I put US at the top though it won't change the phone language. It is a Canadian phone from Virgin Mobile and SIM unlocked. My friend on Rogers with a 1080 has Cortana working no problem however.

10268257_10152377649251354_501254002_n.jpg

Ivaylo Badinov

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
\ You do not have US in the initial languages and it is before you enter your account data. I tried with a US account to download US-English but still no Phone language support. All that with the language missing is really odd. Seems it is not removed from the ROM, but it is disabled. WP 8.1 should have additional UI texts which are not present in the original ROM when you bought the phone. Where these will come from? Most of the new stuff is translated in all the other languages, which means that these texts came with the 8.1 update. So obviously US English is disabled by HTC for some unknown reason and block all further updates. Probably some legal reason is behind that, to prevent selling unbranded phones to US market and to disable certain US services outside USA.

bologni

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Tried that not working. You do not have US in the initial languages and it is before you enter your account data. Also I tried with a US account to download US-English but still no Phone language support. All this language missing is really odd, seems it is not removed from the ROM it is disabled. WP 8.1 should have additional UI texts which are not present to the original ROM when you bought the phone. Where these will come from? Most of them are available in the other languages, which means that these texts came with the 8.1 update. So obviously it is disabled by HTC for some unknown reason and block all further updates. Probably some legal reason is behind that, to prevent selling unbranded phones to US market, and to disable certain US services outside USA.

but i have a lumia 720 and have the same problem, i already downloaded other languages packs, even made a full reset, but the us english pack didn't appear at the first screen of welcome.

Lumia 720 Argentina Movistar.

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You do not need to change your Microsoft account region/country you only need to change the settings on your phone.... also to access quiet hours when you click the search button Cortana shows up then in the top right there are three lines stacked click this and you will have access to quiet hours and more

FrodoBaggins

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to the data pool...I have Cortana on my HTC 8X, and had it since I installed 8.1. I do not live in the US, but had my region and all settings set to US before I updated, and when I first started 8.1 Cortana was ready and good to go.

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Just to add to the data pool...I have Cortana on my HTC 8X, and had it since I installed 8.1. I do not live in the US, but had my region and all settings set to US before I updated, and when I first started 8.1 Cortana was ready and good to go.

SO where does Mr Baggins Reside?

I've done all I can to my 8X & no Cortana.....

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
SO where does Mr Baggins Reside?

I've done all I can to my 8X & no Cortana.....

Last solution : set everything to US. That means region, language and speech.
If you can't set your language to english-US, add 1/2 new languages. It will download them then restart your phone. check again and download english-US. Delete all the other languages and/or set english-us to the top.
Then restart your phone. If you have Cortana perfect. If not, make a full reset (factory reset) from that state.
Then you should have Cortana.

henry.gray

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hermantj I have tried to no prevail, although the language has downloaded for US there is no way to delete any other language that's on as well.

Igo Soares

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Well... I'm from Brazil and to get Cortana i needed to change all config to en-us... Tip: CORTANA is in BETA test, so maybe she don't understand what you say...

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Well... I'm from Brazil and to get Cortana i needed to change all config to en-us... Tip: CORTANA is in BETA test, so maybe she don't understand what you say...

Yeah she's generally fine if I aren't covered with a thick Yorkshire accent. So long as I talk properly she generally has no issue understanding me.

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
CORTANA is in BETA test, so maybe she don't understand what you say...

Yeah, pretty much. Sadly for me a beta isn't really reliable enough for me to use regularly, though if it was reliable enough and was near perfect, it wouldn't be much of a beta. :p

I'll give it time, let them at the very least officially release it in the UK. Hopefully the back-end improvements alone will make it worthwhile. If nothing else there's always the personalised live tile! I do love the live tile.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I got it working in Sweden without even reading a guide.

First updated without changing anything (Region Swedish, Language Swedish)
After update:
Settings - Keyboard: English (United States)
Settings - Region - Country/Region: United States
Settings - Regional format - match phone language
Settings - Speech - English (United States)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99