Cortana's witty replies

theroyboy44

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Guys do I have to do something, Cortana brings up web results instead of speaking.

Apparently you have to hard reset cuz I'm not seeing any other answer......hoing WP central makes an article addressing this cuz I want to talk to Cortana but I really don't want to do a hard reset unless I absolutely have to!

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Apparently you have to hard reset cuz I'm not seeing any other answer......hoing WP central makes an article addressing this cuz I want to talk to Cortana but I really don't want to do a hard reset unless I absolutely have to!

Under "Speech" in settings, Make sure the language is set to English US. This is something the WPCentral article failed to mention and I have a sneaking suspicion this is the root of everyone's problems. Also verify that you selected English US and not the genetic English setting.

In response to "How do I look":

"Let me put it this way: There is nothing Visual Basic about you."

Oh Cortana you're so punny. :evil:

FourTonMantis

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't help. I have my speech settings on English US, my region on USA, my phone language on English US and nothing - only Bing searches :(

Sent from my Windows Phone

Alroy Swain

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I have Language, Speech and keyboard set to English United States, and region set to Australia. Have you downloaded the US speech data file? also location needs to be on.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Yeah same here. Hard reset will be a very bad thing to do at this time. Have a lot. Can ignore untill I'm ready....afterall it's Beta.

WPUser2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Cortana is awesome, but anyone noticed that Cortana has two voices? There is a new one and the old tell me one. I'll show you how I figured it out. i put something on my calendar for later today and then asked Cortana what I have scheduled, and she said i found so and so appointment '. When she says 'i found' she talks in her new voice, and when she reads out your appointment name, she talks in the old 'tellme' voice. Anyone noticed that?

And another thing, wp8.1 has new animations compared to wp8. The way the screen transitions from one screen to the next, (for example, if you go into settings from the home screen) has changed. Instead of the imaginary screen 'hinge' being at the left side of the screen, it is more often than not in the middle now, and every screen flips from the middle. Anyone noticed that? I really like these new animations and wp8.1 is also generally faster than wp8, and the snappyness is also more

Sorry for going off topic

MagusShadow

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm simply replying to this thread so I can keep track of it, but to at least contribute something: The frustration of trying to have Cortana recognize fox instead of box is high, but I have noticed that she recognizes it better if you sing the phrase. Clearly she is trolling us...

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is awesome, but anyone noticed that Cortana has two voices? There is a new one and the old tell me one.

And another thing, wp8.1 has new animations compared to wp8...I really like these new animations and wp8.1 is also generally faster than wp8, and the snappiness is also more

For Cortana, pre-recorded responses (or portions thereof) use Jen Taylor's voice, while TTS responses use the original TellMe voice. However, some have suggested this will change later on.

And it does feel snappier. It also feels like its used more (the animations) throughout the system.

"What is the best smartphone?"

"Oh come on, chief. Windows Phone!"

She got a bit sassy(?) condescending on this one.

Type "when we're you born". Just do it. The added apostrophe gives a new response

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
For Cortana, pre-recorded responses (or portions thereof) use Jen Taylor's voice, while TTS responses use the original TellMe voice. However, some have suggested this will change later on.

And it does feel snappier. It also feels like its used more (the animations) throughout the system.

"What is the best smartphone?"

"Oh come on, chief. Windows Phone!"

She got a bit sassy(?) condescending on this one.

Type "when we're you born". Just do it. The added apostrophe gives a new response

I heard that while Cortana is in beta, Microsoft is working on better synthesizing Jen's voice. It will get better with time.

theroyboy44

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Best answer, if you don't want to hard reset, be patient. Mine hasn't been working since I updated Monday at 9 am but now it is so maybe for some ppl it just takes some time.... hope this helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss