Cortana only doing bing searches

weisscracker

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I can also confirm. Nokia Lumia 925. Did a hard reset and now Cortana replies with the witty responses. Now onto getting all my apps back on my phone.

theroyboy44

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I really don't want to do a hard reset!!! If anyone can confirm if she starts doing her witty comments after waiting without hard reseting that'll be awesome! If it starts working for me ill let you guys know

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So I wonder if this is because we opened Cortana (I say we because I assume it's how everyone did it the first time) by the search button first and not the app. Cortana is currently only doing bing searches, but when I tried opening the app she actually "absorbed the internet" and everything. I am at work now so I can't really test it though I tried the text version and it only did a bing search but im not sure if she only does that on text anyway. I wonder if we turn her off and get to the bing search and back on if she would work. will have to test when I get home.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I can also confirm. Nokia Lumia 925. Did a hard reset and now Cortana replies with the witty responses. Now onto getting all my apps back on my phone.
Did you have to re-download all the updates? It seems like doing a hard reset (factory reset?) would restore everything to "factory settings" as in way back before GDR3 and everything... Am I wrong?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I really don't want to do a hard reset!!! If anyone can confirm if she starts doing her witty comments after waiting without hard reseting that'll be awesome! If it starts working for me ill let you guys know
Likewise! I'll wait a few to see what happens first.. Before I try a hard reset.

weisscracker

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The only app data I have is stored in the cloud, emails and office docs. I only have a few games so I don't really care to much about losing status in them. I just bought the phone 1 week ago from HSN for just $199.99 off contract. Upgraded from a HTC HD7 with WP7 I have used for the last 3 years.
Nokia Lumia 925 4.5" Smartphone with T-Mobile Service, GPS and 8.7MP Camera at HSN.com

But I can understand how if you had app status you cared about you wouldn't want to lose it. I've been tweeting all the Microsoft Reps I know trying to see if they are aware of this issue. So far no responses.

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
So I wonder if this is because we opened Cortana (I say we because I assume it's how everyone did it the first time) by the search button first and not the app. Cortana is currently only doing bing searches, but when I tried opening the app she actually "absorbed the internet" and everything. I am at work now so I can't really test it though I tried the text version and it only did a bing search but im not sure if she only does that on text anyway. I wonder if we turn her off and get to the bing search and back on if she would work. will have to test when I get home.

I actually used the app first. Feels more like it's luck of the draw at this point.

weisscracker

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
My experience was I opened Cortana from the app list first. And she tried to absorbed the internet and failed the first time. I told her to retry and that is when it gave me the survey of my interests. After that was complete Cortana could set reminders for me just fine. But she wouldn't respond to the witty questions and instead would do the BING searches.
After doing a hard reset I launched Cortana in the same manner from the app list. This time she didn't give me the failure message and went straight to the survey. And now she responds to the witty questions.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok so without doing a hard reset, Cortana is answering SOME of my questions with vocal answers, while other questions are still answered with web search results. I imagine this will improve over time and with continued usage. I still might however, do a hard reset, as it seems the only way to clear that pesky "other" storage which on my 1020 is at a hefty 6.9GB

Blakey.

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok so without doing a hard reset, Cortana is answering SOME of my questions with vocal answers, while other questions are still answered with web search results. I imagine this will improve over time and with continued usage. I still might however, do a hard reset, as it seems the only way to clear that pesky "other" storage which on my 1020 is at a hefty 6.9GB

She replied to some of my questions in voice initially as well, but it was limited to things like restaurants and weather.

Bgladden

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Just tried doing a hard reset on my Lumia 920 since I was having the same problem. Hard reset did not fix it for me, and Cortana is still only searching Bing instead of giving verbal responses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb