Cortana only doing bing searches

SailRacerX

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
But, but, but... I don't WANNA! I know this is a Beta and all, and I'm going to wait it out, but man do I want it to work. Right. Freaking. Now. So little patience, so much time...

cnjvh

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset BROKE it for me. Cortana was doing everything as expected but I had to hard reset for other issues. After that, only Bing searches (US region).

noiprocs

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
But then how would you explain why my phone suddenly started having this issue? It was working fine yesterday, after the 8.1 update. I did not install any new apps or games, nor did I make any changes.

Well that doesn't undermine my theory, as it seems to be just another issue. Your Cortana seems to be really out of order though, because mine just won't answer questions like "Who's your daddy?" or "Do you like me?". No sassy answers. Just Bing searches. She gives me weather, location and nutrition though and works fine with reminders and stuff. Anyways, I'm sure the client (Cortana) gets kind of confused because of the buggy connection to the servers.

BioticCharger

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, she was doing A-ok yesterday! When I woke up today and inquired about the weather, that's when I first encountered this thing. I don't understand how it could get bugged all by itself, seeing as I definitely did not change anything (no updates, app installations, nothing).
The questions I don't get an answer to include those relating to my position like "Where am I" or "Find nearby bars", and the weather. However, I do get the expected answers to nutrition questions, exchange rates, and the funny ones like those that you described.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just tried doing a hard reset on my Lumia 920 since I was having the same problem. Hard reset did not fix it for me, and Cortana is still only searching Bing instead of giving verbal responses.

Im having the same problem. I was going to start a new post "Cortana, I must be doing it wrong." and found this thread. I did a hard reset Monday night hoping it would clean out my phone fresh. Cortana is doing the same. Only getting bing web searches.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Btw did anyone get across Cortana saying your name. Cortana even double checks the pronunciation so I'm assuming it will be used sooner or later.

Is this a "get to know you better first" kinda thingy.

noiprocs

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, she was doing A-ok yesterday! When I woke up today and inquired about the weather, that's when I first encountered this thing. I don't understand how it could get bugged all by itself, seeing as I definitely did not change anything (no updates, app installations, nothing).
The questions I don't get an answer to include those relating to my position like "Where am I" or "Find nearby bars", and the weather. However, I do get the expected answers to nutrition questions, exchange rates, and the funny ones like those that you described.

Cortana needs a stable connection to well-functioning servers at ANY time. The most crucial time though seems to be the initial setup, because you have no option to retry it if something fails (except for reset of your device). So when you've completed your initial setup, her abilities and disabilities depend on the connection she had at that time. However, if some variables within the running code become inconsistent or faulty due to the connection to malfunctioning servers, at some point (like in your case) she may perform even worse and suffer an even greater loss of functionality. That's my explanation.

Now lean back and let Microsoft do the work.

UzEE

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
It was working for me (also answered some witty questions) but something broke it today. I'm not in the US but have always had my phone, and Microsoft account set to US ever since I signed up for Xbox Live nearly a decade ago.

I doesn't even show weather updates now when I enquire about them. It tries to show something for a split second and then just quickly jumps into Bing Search.

Prakhar Mohan1

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
i have a question.. when u ask cortana to remind of of something like "go to gym" , so does she speak up at that time of event or just shows the notification on the screen with an alert tone ?

pls reply

SailRacerX

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Just saw something that made me curious... Cortana is in Bing search mode for me. When I launch Cortana, and then hold the back button to see all the apps that are running, the name under the Cortana window is "Search". Those whose phones it is working properly on, is it the same for you, or does it say "Cortana"? Just curious...

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
She will speak when to set the remainder.but if u ask general knowledge questions she will take you to Bing search.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Joe Brockhaus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
...The most crucial time though seems to be the initial setup, because you have no option to retry it if something fails (except for reset of your device).

This is exactly what happened to me. As I was checking out all the settings, I got down to Quiet Times and it launched me into the Cortana setup absorbing the internet dealio, but I didn't have data and had to cancel. I was unable to get back to that setup afterwards.

I was only launching her via the search button, and accessing the settings to change my name. I was getting some wittiness then, but certain things just didn't seem right and sent me to search. I could create appointments, flick up to see the headlines, etc, but it still felt like she was falling short.

I then pinned the app to the Start screen, and when I opened it from there, I was then taken through the setup to choose interests, etc. Still, however, I'm getting the same bland responses and what seems to me far too many Bing-directed searches.

Is she supposed to be able to read your last incoming text message? Or should I be able to refer to the previous question I asked or answer she gave?
I tried the clippy 'easter egg', but all I ever get is a response about teaching the value of listening, and perhaps importantly, do NOT get the clippy icon instead of hers.
I've gotten her to tell me a joke (and boy are they bad lol), but I've also been directed to a bing search of tell me a joke at times too. If she tells me a joke or story, and I say 'tell me another' or 'tell me more' I get search results.

I want to do a reset, but at the same time I don't. It's a lot of work, and I don't want to lose all the app-specific data (particularly lens apps like Blink, CamScanner, etc). Can anyone confirm if lens-Specific data is backed up now? I saw the features of supposedly backing up app data/settings, but without being able to actually see that data backed up, I'm hesitant. I wish I had my broken 8X handy to try (even though i've heard people have problems with it & 8.1).

BioticCharger

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I then pinned the app to the Start screen, and when I opened it from there, I was then taken through the setup to choose interests, etc. Still, however, I'm getting the same bland responses and what seems to me far too many Bing-directed searches.

Is she supposed to be able to read your last incoming text message? Or should I be able to refer to the previous question I asked or answer she gave?
I tried the clippy 'easter egg', but all I ever get is a response about teaching the value of listening, and perhaps importantly, do NOT get the clippy icon instead of hers.
I've gotten her to tell me a joke (and boy are they bad lol), but I've also been directed to a bing search of tell me a joke at times too. If she tells me a joke or story, and I say 'tell me another' or 'tell me more' I get search results.

Did you try turning her off, deleting her notebook and restarting the phone and maybe change your region (if you're non-US)? Then try doing everything again. Now, I have no idea if this will work but it might trigger the "internet absorbing" thing. Also does she reply to some of the other questions like "How are you?" or "What is the current share value of Microsoft?"

And I think you need to change an option somewhere inside Speech settings in Cortana to allow text messages to be read aloud.

Clinton_O

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
No need for hard resets guys. Save yourself some extra headache, and just wait it out. After all, that's why Cortana is still in Beta.

See tweet here: https://twitter.com/doubleyewdee/status/456129714839515137

This is after Mary Jo Foley advised someone to do a reset. the guy is apparently an ms engineer, and confirmed that Cortana pulling up web searches instead of expected responses is a server side issue.

That was my tweet to him lol but all we can do is play the waiting game for now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6