The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-24-2015 03:20 PM
50 12
tools
    I am having this same problem. I have a Lumia 1520 on AT&T in Cincinnati. If I disconnect from WiFi, Cortana works fine. When I am connected to WiFi, Cortana always says she can't seem to connect right now. My wife has a Lumia 920 and is having the same problem.

I think I traced this problem to a firewall issue. I was able to locate the IP address on my router assigned to my phone and then I put that IP address into the DMZ. This means that all traffic that goes to/from my public IP address assigned by Road Runner will be routed to my phone. Boom, all of the sudden Cortana is working fine on WiFi.

Next step in this research project is to figure out if there are just certain ports that Cortana requires. Surely she doesn't need to be in the DMZ.
    Awesome! Can you break down the steps ?
    Nogitsune Micah likes this.
    04-15-2014 06:09 PM
    So I went digging, trying to figure out what was causing this issue. As it turns out, my DNS server through my ISP was causing it. I set my DNS to point to OpenDNS servers (in my router settings) 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 and it started working.
    Road runner as in time Warner internet? Yeah I have them. I wonder is that what is causing my issues.
    II'm nervous to do what you did though as that seems to be over my head a bit lol
    04-15-2014 06:12 PM
    Yup, as in time warner in my case. Changing DNS isn't all that hard. Go to the website for the manufacturer of your router and look for the support manual. It should tell you in there.
    04-15-2014 08:52 PM
    Yup, as in time warner in my case. Changing DNS isn't all that hard. Go to the website for the manufacturer of your router and look for the support manual. It should tell you in there.
    But what exactly is opendns and what is the benefits of using it.
    04-15-2014 09:00 PM
    DNS means domain name resolution. Basically, it is the server that converts url like Google to 134.45.567.12 type ip addresses. Often times, the DNS servers from ISPs can get bogged down, or other weird things. Open DNS is just another free to use DNS service that is of high quality, and doesn't do any DNS injection. Google also offers a DNS server if you feel so inclined to use theirs.
    04-15-2014 09:06 PM
    Road runner as in time Warner internet? Yeah I have them. I wonder is that what is causing my issues.
    II'm nervous to do what you did though as that seems to be over my head a bit lol
    Staying with the in laws this week and they have TW and I can confirm the issue.
    04-15-2014 10:12 PM
    DNS means domain name resolution. Basically, it is the server that converts url like Google to 134.45.567.12 type ip addresses. Often times, the DNS servers from ISPs can get bogged down, or other weird things. Open DNS is just another free to use DNS service that is of high quality, and doesn't do any DNS injection. Google also offers a DNS server if you feel so inclined to use theirs.
    Ah I see. So when I go to opendns, will it give me the IP to use?
    04-15-2014 10:28 PM
    I have Time Warner Cable and Cortana was broken on WiFi for me as well. Changing my home router to use Google DNS (8.8.8.8) fixed the issue. I didn't have time to dive any further in to it, but obviously TWC DNS is missing some sort of record, or blocking something, that makes Cortana tick.
    04-16-2014 09:13 AM
    I made a short tutorial fixing this issue : Mash + Cortana WiFi fix ! (my blog..lol) or http://forums.windowscentral.com/cor...ml#post2474161 (wpcentral thread)
    Last edited by Mashnoon Ibtesum; 04-16-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: updated link
    Talderon likes this.
    04-16-2014 11:00 AM
    Date and time problem! Go and change it to correct date and time !!!
    04-16-2014 11:02 AM
    Date and time problem! Go and change it to correct date and time !!!
    Well, fixing that didn't work for me
    04-16-2014 11:07 AM
    It seems to be a Time Warner Cable issue as far as I know. My work uses AT&T and it works fine, but my home is TWC and it does not work...
    04-16-2014 05:15 PM
    Guys, there is a solution to this problem. Check out the other forums. You need to change the DNS settings on your router. 😊
    04-16-2014 05:23 PM
    Yes, it's already been addressed in this thread...
    04-16-2014 06:10 PM
    That's awesome, thank you. Does anybody know what the missing DNS entries are so I can raise a stink with Time Warner here in Cincinnati? In the interim I followed the advice of moving over to OpenDNS.

Thanks for the research and sharing your results!
    04-17-2014 09:41 AM
    Okay so changing the DNS server in my router did NOT fix this problem. Apparently Time Warner has gotten very good at hijacking the DNS servers even if you override them in your router. Here is how you can tell if you are having this problem if you have Time Warner. Go to your browser and put in a non-existent web address in the URL bar, such as: http://www.thiswebsitedoesntreallyexist.com/ and see what happens. On my system, Time Warner takes me to a custom web search called "www.dnsrsearch.com". Doing a little more research on this shows that my cable modem is automatically appending ".cinci.rr.com" onto every host name that I request. So even if you override the DNS settings, since the domain is ".cinci.rr.com" the DNS server will defer to Time Warner's DNS to resolve it.

This will only work if you hare having this problem on Time Warner and your browser redirects to "www.dnsrsearch.com" as indicated above. If so, just go to Time Warner Cable and you will see the Time Warner Cable search box. Next to that search box on the right, click "preferences" which is right underneath "why am I here?" and under that screen, disable the "Web Address Error Redirect Service" and save your preferences. Voila, Cortana works!
    kwparker80 and Eric Roberge like this.
    04-17-2014 11:08 AM
    And for those it is working for what make/models do you have? May be corrected in firmware update for certain models.
    No Wi-Fi issues for me. Office, public, tethered. HTC 8S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-17-2014 11:11 AM
    This will only work if you hare having this problem on Time Warner and your browser redirects to "www.dnsrsearch.com" as indicated above. If so, just go to Time Warner Cable and you will see the Time Warner Cable search box. Next to that search box on the right, click "preferences" which is right underneath "why am I here?" and under that screen, disable the "Web Address Error Redirect Service" and save your preferences. Voila, Cortana works!
    This worked for me on TWC. Thanks!!!

Here's a pic for those wondering what it looks like:
    presentation1.jpg
    04-18-2014 10:04 AM
    Nice find Eric!

Even with the DNS hijacking, its pretty surprising that it is causing Cortana to fail for others. I've also noticed that I am now able to send picture messages while connected to wifi, whereas before, they would always fail. I assumed it was a Tmobile issue, but it looks as though it was simply DNS problems. I love it when communities figure stuff like this out :)
    04-18-2014 10:26 AM
    WE HAVE A WINNER!

Thanks Eric, I was pulling out what is left of my hair. This worked like a charm, now I have NO issues on my 928 with the 8.1 preview installed!

North Carolina TWC users, DO THIS!
    04-19-2014 12:01 AM
    haha...I actually did a tutorial like 3 days ago on this....lol...check it out here : http://www.mashnoon33.tumblr.com/pos...rtana-wifi-fix
    04-19-2014 11:30 AM
    not working In Georgia .confused:
    08-11-2015 05:45 PM
    This method also works with Charter. When you get to the Charter search page there is a link at the top of the page that says "why am I here". Click that and disable the Charter option. Cortana works fine now. Thanks for the tip!
    08-11-2015 07:14 PM
    same problem... any update there?
    08-15-2015 10:23 AM
    Thanks, it worked with my Charter Internet service as well. But I had to type in a bogus URL to get to the Charter search page and then find the "Why am I here" link to disable that service. Great job!
    08-24-2015 03:20 PM
50 12