Cortana is NOT listening to me! I didn't do anything to make her angry.. why?

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Guys, I just set my phone (NON-US) to get Cortana.

But it didn't have the initial setup thing.

Also, whatever I speak, nothing happened, but if I type, it works. Anyone please? I can't even see the text that she is supposed to recognize when I speak, I have also checked that my microphone is working.

rightwingtroll

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue. It was my office bluetooth headset. Once I disabled bluetooth it worked as it tried routing all sound and microphone through there even if not active.

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
hey iAdrian23, what about WhatsApp voice message? can you record your voice?

I find out that after upgrading to win8.1, the microphone is no longer working, unless I pick up a phone call or unless I use a wired headset, can you try please? and which device?

Flaker

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
any idea? I dont want to use the wired headset all the time!

I have the same problem. It started a while ago so I cannot blame the 8.1 preview (maybe the Black update?). I've seen a lot of people with the same problem since a while ago, with the 925 and 1020 models. Hard reset did nothing to help, and I cannot return it like some people did. I believe it is really a hardware design issue.

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem. It started a while ago so I cannot blame the 8.1 preview (maybe the Black update?). I've seen a lot of people with the same problem since a while ago, with the 925 and 1020 models. Hard reset did nothing to help, and I cannot return it like some people did. I believe it is really a hardware design issue.

Why can't you return? it sucks.... microphone is such an important device in the phone! Can you record video with sound?

Antone09

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem too. When I first installed 8.1 to my Lumia 920 yesterday, everything works fine as intended. Cortana works while I speak to her. Today,I have the same problem. When I press the speak button, it kept saying "listening" even though I'm speaking to her. It seems like it is stuck or something. I hope it is a software issue that Microsoft can fix in the near future. Other than that, the typing does work on her but I don't hear her responding back to me with her text. I hope somewhere here knows a way to solve it too or has the same problem.

Anand K

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi.. Even i had this problem on my L820.. On the first day it worked absolutely fine.. Dunno what happened suddenly, it is not listening to me any more... On the 1st day, when i speak below the screen i used to see a predictive text kind of stuff... but now nothing like that happening... It always tell me "Sorry, i didn't get that" everytime i speak :(

Antone09

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Solved mine!!! It was weird but here goes...

I search for an app called "Indigo" which is another assistant like Cortana. I spoke to Indigo and she worked fine. So I went back to Cortana and somehow some way it worked. Weird but finally got it too understand my text. Hopefully this problem is similar to what you guys went through.

ArcticArrow

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Solved mine!!! It was weird but here goes...

I search for an app called "Indigo" which is another assistant like Cortana. I spoke to Indigo and she worked fine. So I went back to Cortana and somehow some way it worked. Weird but finally got it too understand my text. Hopefully this problem is similar to what you guys went through.

That's interesting. Lets see if this is a general solution. Can someone try because I don't have that 925, I got another 925 already.

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem too. When I first installed 8.1 to my Lumia 920 yesterday, everything works fine as intended. Cortana works while I speak to her. Today,I have the same problem. When I press the speak button, it kept saying "listening" even though I'm speaking to her. It seems like it is stuck or something. I hope it is a software issue that Microsoft can fix in the near future. Other than that, the typing does work on her but I don't hear her responding back to me with her text. I hope somewhere here knows a way to solve it too or has the same problem.

To use Cortana, you need to enable location. She won't talk to you if you disable location service :)

Flaker

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
No luck with using other program (Indigo was suggested). I believe this is closer to a hardware issue with the 925 design. There's a lot of people complaining about the external mic dying for no apparent reason.

If it is not hardware, then, there is a serious software glitch and it's been there since before black.

Soham Garud

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is still in beta so there will be some issues with it.
Here's what you can do:
Go to Bing.com from your PC or desktop mode on IE on your Windows Phone and go to account general settings.
Bing - General

Clear all Cortana data. Go to Personalization tab and clear interests and other Cortana data.

Save the settings and launch Cortana again and it will work :)

Vicious Enzyme

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Try the mic at the top of the phone, the one meant for noise reduction, cortana uses the wrong mic on my Samsung ativ s. Took me a few days to work out why it wasn't listening to me anymore.

hmzshaw

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Cortana is still in beta so there will be some issues with it.
Here's what you can do:
Go to Bing.com from your PC or desktop mode on IE on your Windows Phone and go to account general settings.
Bing - General

Clear all Cortana data. Go to Personalization tab and clear interests and other Cortana data.

Save the settings and launch Cortana again and it will work :)

That too didnt work for me. I also uninstalled the Indigo app, even that didnt help. What could be this problem? It worked for me all well and fine, then I had an issue with my microphone - while on calls, it used to emit a lot of graining sound - and i did a hard rest. After that microphone worked fine, but cortana stopped listening to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte