HTC 8x with Cortana ?

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Too bad I was so excited to try Corona but i'll have to wait. Other features work fine except reader mode when I use it the screen is white I may try it on other sites to check. Also I can't open the IE11 advanced settings. Anyone have the same problem? How can I fix it?

Yes, happens on my phone too. Seems it's something happening to others also. WP 8.1 HTC 8S - Internet Explorer Advanced Settings Not Working

According to the link hard reset and such hasn't helped them. I'll investigate further and see if I can get it working.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Just installed 8.1 on my AT&T HTC 8X (English-US). Cortana only works with text input. She cannot speak or hear anything I say. Double-checked all my settings. My speaker and volume works fine but Cortana cannot hear me or speak when I ask her pronounce my name. Any ideas?

That what came across my mind when I was reading your comment .
" say my name" .. " Isenberg"

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
This is where i have got to before giving up, doesn't seem like its gonna happen for a few months

View attachment 62777

View attachment 62778

View attachment 62779

View attachment 62780

View attachment 62781

Even changed my clock to Eastern Time (US & Canada)

Meh

TThat'sexactly my case, now I'm pretty sure after hard resting my phone 📞 that it's related to not having US English built into the system. Our only hope is that MS releases Cortana to UK soon, so we can finally ask her about the weather in Moscow 😊

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Guys Guys ... some of you are so wrong .. why blaming HTC for the language not installed ... The real problem is that half of the phone language is the chosen one (moved up in the list of languages) and the other half is in on install time language .. Guys we are having both English .. US and UK and you cannot see the difference .. but believe me if you install the phone in some other language and you switch to English US .. the half phone will be in English and another half will be in Turkish for example (your on install time one) .. so its a serious bug in the OS and anyone who blames HTC here is not right!

Grimmush

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
It's related to the phone language so if you can't manage to change that then it doesn't matter what you change (region/keyboard/speech/time/etc). HTC has it's blame here (about 80% of it I'd say) for this and the US exclusive features like wireless charging, but giving that the 8X was a flagship phone for wp8 it's crappy on MS's account for locking this beta to US only.

Bearach

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes, happens on my phone too. Seems it's something happening to others also. WP 8.1 HTC 8S - Internet Explorer Advanced Settings Not Working

According to the link hard reset and such hasn't helped them. I'll investigate further and see if I can get it working.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...-not-working-on-htc-8x?forum=winphoneosissues

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...or-in-ie11-with-htc-8x?forum=winphoneosissues

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...orer-advanced-settings?forum=winphoneosissues

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...ternet-explorer-issues?forum=winphoneosissues

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...ading-mode-not-working?forum=winphoneosissues

(more people having same issue)

Just an update on this. 3 different 8X's exhibit the same problem regardless of hard reset (using both methods). This used to occur in WP7 when the language files in the update (for that particular page) were incorrect. That's my current opinion on what is causing this issue.

Last edited:

Eral Ocal

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Guys Guys ... some of you are so wrong .. why blaming HTC for the language not installed ... The real problem is that half of the phone language is the chosen one (moved up in the list of languages) and the other half is in on install time language .. Guys we are having both English .. US and UK and you cannot see the difference .. but believe me if you install the phone in some other language and you switch to English US .. the half phone will be in English and another half will be in Turkish for example (your on install time one) .. so its a serious bug in the OS and anyone who blames HTC here is not right!
IMG86B5.jpg
I've posted same picture in this thread too
http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8-1-preview-developers/274574-36.htm#post2474544

CellularMan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone noted this issue with HTC or Microsoft?

Both the HTC 8x on Bell and HTC 8x on Rogers in Canada cannot be made to work with cortana. I know what I'm doing, I have made it work on my lumia 920.

agsalinas

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I just wanted you to know that i have solved the problems with my HTC 8X both lagg, locking and overall performance after updating to 8.1 and the Cortana release as well by just doing a hard reset. It was not easy as the phone was not even starting up, was getting in blacks blacout after the HTC white splash screen and the hard reset combination of Volume UP, Down, Power and Down combination did not work, it just booted. So i had to deplete the battery, after that somehow the lack of energy did an actual reset and it let into the OS again, still with flaws but at least I could manage to do hard reset via OS (settings). After that everything was easy as butter. Please note that after doing the hard reset it comes alive again with Windows Phone 8.1 if you already did the update but it gives you the option to do a recovery of your apps and settings if you had that option enabled before. This is my best recommendation. It now works as a charm and now I even have Cortana enabled as the hard reset allowed me to select English US as my native primary language and all the the rest of the region and keyboard settings. If you need any help please let me know.

agsalinas

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Do a hard reset and select the same language options for US in keyboard, region and lanaguage at the boot setup. That should help. I had an european HTC 8X and that let me to enable Cortana. Good Luck!

Alamo 360

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Do a hard reset and select the same language options for US in keyboard, region and lanaguage at the boot setup. That should help. I had an european HTC 8X and that let me to enable Cortana. Good Luck!

I have no problem with trying this, but first one question must be answered. Where did you get your phone, so, which model is it?
I have a C620e, unlocked, bought in the Netherlands. Selecting everything US/English after hard-reset didn't help me last time. So I'm curious how you got it to work now.

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with trying this, but first one question must be answered. Where did you get your phone, so, which model is it?
I have a C620e, unlocked, bought in the Netherlands. Selecting everything US/English after hard-reset didn't help me last time. So I'm curious how you got it to work now.

I did everything i can to get Cortana, but i was out of luck sadly. Check your Language in the settings menu .. PHONE LANGUAGE should be English US. if it was Stuck with UK, you're out of luck 🍀

Gaston Senac

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Well I have a 620 (presumably locked to Claro Argentina). I reflashed it with a US-AIO firmware and it is working ok and with Cortana. English US language. That's because the original firmware for Claro ARG doesn't have the US language.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs