03-10-2015 11:47 AM
28 12
tools
    So I went to Build a couple of weeks ago, and when Joe Belfiore demo'd Cortana, he showed this cool feature where she added flight info and automatically tracked the flight.

I can't remember how he did it, and I have a flight next week...

Any ideas?

PS: 920 upgrade went without a hitch new keyboard works great...
    04-14-2014 02:52 PM
    I also couldn't get my flights tracked. Even though I have my e-tickets in my inbox.
    04-14-2014 02:54 PM
    I see the setting in the Cortana settings (Detect tracking info, such as flights...) but as to how to get it to set reminders and stuff? Not sure. I wonder if you book another flight it will add that automatically? Or you could try forwarding the email to yourself and see if that does the trick.
    04-14-2014 03:39 PM
    Yup already forwarded the email to myself, didn't really seem to do anything. I'd book another flight but don't need to go anywhere else for a few weeks yet... โœˆ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    04-14-2014 03:44 PM
    Yup already forwarded the email to myself, didn't really seem to do anything. I'd book another flight but don't need to go anywhere else for a few weeks yet... โœˆ๏˜ƒ
    Tried forwarding an itinerary to myself and no dice, either. I'll be curious to know how this works.
    04-14-2014 03:55 PM
    So I just went to ask Cortana something unrelated and she asked if I wanted to track my flights. I guess I was just being impatient before...

She mentioned she found my flight itinerary in my email.
    04-14-2014 09:20 PM
    I have flights from Delta in my email that she couldn't find, but she could find the ones from United. Cortana playing favorites...
    04-14-2014 11:30 PM
    I have Turkish Airlines and American Airlines flights but she is not seeing either of them ๐Ÿ˜ž
    04-15-2014 02:27 PM
    give it a little bit. Also they have to say flight itineraries in the subject. Cortana recognized mine but didn't do the return flight.
    04-15-2014 02:46 PM
    So, being a developer, I figured I had to try to figure some of this out. Found some details here, describing how they parse emails for schema.org Microdata - looks like a proposed standard for serializing flight details into an HTML5 document.

So I pulled up my flight confirmation email and took a look through the message source, and sure enough the airline (Air Canada) included the appropriate markup. I'm not sure if Cortana has some sort of fallback parsing mechanism if she doesn't find the markup she's looking for. If not, I guess it's up to the airlines for what they implement.

g.
    04-15-2014 03:15 PM
    give it a little bit. Also they have to say flight itineraries in the subject. Cortana recognized mine but didn't do the return flight.
    PS: My confirmation email did NOT say "flight itineraries" in the subject...
    04-15-2014 03:16 PM
    So I just went to ask Cortana something unrelated and she asked if I wanted to track my flights. I guess I was just being impatient before...

She mentioned she found my flight itinerary in my email.
    Same thing happened to me. It was an itinerary for U.S. Airways and buried in a folder, not in my actual inbox. Impressive.
    04-16-2014 12:02 AM
    Cortana failed to find my flight info, so I went to the airline's website (Air Canada) to re-send new confirmation emails - no progress. A day later, I forwarded the same email to myself but changed the subject line to "Flight itinerary" and she finally found and added all 4 flights.

Of course, it could always be a delay in getting the phone to parse through emails, but I thought I would share in case it helps someone out. It's a shame we can't add flight info manually in case it fails. Asking Cortana to track a flight just gets her to pull the information regarding today's flight - not very helpful.
    04-16-2014 09:07 AM
    I sent forward my itinerary four times, and she didn't get it that day. But today she suddenly realized that I have a flight. Maybe she has a LOOONG refreshing period for checking email and text contents.
    04-17-2014 07:56 AM
    She answers at least to the question @When is my flight@, but she couldnt track any of the flights I have in my mailbox. I changed the subject to Flight itinerary but still she doesnt track anything.
    04-17-2014 08:43 AM
    Hey all... About this issue.

This is a known issue. The trouble is, every airline or partner that sells airline tickets formats their emails differently. Some put the information in text, others put it in tables, some use images for airlines and some don't.

I, personally, have run into issues where I had a multi-leg flight email come in and Cortana only saw the second leg.

If you tell Cortana "Track United Airlines flight 593", she will bring up the flight details and you can add it to your notebook. The holdup here is that it will only track it for today. We are working hard to get this implemented better and allow tracking for future dates. This is all back-end stuff so we hope to keep improving it.

Thanks for this thread and I'll try and check back in when I have more news. :D
    04-17-2014 08:44 AM
    Is it possible than to show a basic flight ticket confirmation email, that Cortana recognizes FOR SURE? You can add up ur data and see if she would recognize the flight. I know it is maybe pointless for some, but it is nice to see how it works ;)
    04-17-2014 08:49 AM
    Is it possible than to show a basic flight ticket confirmation email, that Cortana recognizes FOR SURE? You can add up ur data and see if she would recognize the flight. I know it is maybe pointless for some, but it is nice to see how it works ;)
    I'll run a few tests today and see what I can get Cortana to do. :)
    04-17-2014 08:52 AM
    For the record, I booked a flight with Southwest Airlines yesterday, and Cortana asked within a couple hours if I wanted her to track the flights (both there and back).
    Talderon likes this.
    04-17-2014 09:00 AM
    Assuming the flight confirm email is correct for Cortana, does only US flights get tracked or the country is not importnat?
    04-17-2014 09:19 AM
    Assuming the flight confirm email is correct for Cortana, does only US flights get tracked or the country is not importnat?
    Right now, I think we only have US Domestic flights enabled. International flights were put on hold until release, but now they are being worked on and we hope to have them implemented soon-ish. :P
    04-17-2014 09:21 AM
    So this worked for me.... Do a search with Cortana, something like what is the status of united airlines flight ### when it pops up you should se some text near the bottom that says something like show ua ## updates. This will add it as a tracked flight to Cortana for you. :)
    05-17-2014 08:39 AM
    I think that only works for same-day flights, as of now anyway.
    05-17-2014 08:48 AM
    Just to keep this going... Flight info detection and tracking seem to be improving for me and I'm not in the US. I travel several times a month. At the beginning none of my flights were detected from scanning emails. Three weeks ago I got the first case of detection and tracking and I had a few since then. Yesterday I booked a return trip that includes two flights on the way out and two on the way back and after half an hour of receiving the email confirmation, one email including all flights, Cortana asked whether I wanted to track the flight. However she found and tracked only the fourth and last leg and nothing else after a day.
    05-28-2014 08:52 AM
    I wish Cortana would look at the calendar as well, and not just emails. I get emails from my travel agency, Carlson Wagonlit Travel, and Cortana cannot "detect" flight info anymore. They did change the format of the emails, but it does contain the right verbiage you would think Cortana could pick up on. I have an Exchange rule that moves the email from CWT to a sub folder that does sync on my WP8.1 U1 L920 (running dev preview.)
    08-31-2014 02:43 PM
28 12