Cortana is missing

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I wish I had a HTC 8X also to see what the problem with Cortana is, although some people i think have mentioned Cortana works great on their HTC 8X....sorry I can't help other than following my Cortana installation guide

I have updated the instructions to get Cortana working hope it works for you

To get Cortana working you need to (non US)...

1. go to settings then select language ..if you have English (United States) make sure it is listed at the top of the list, you need to long press it and choose move up if it is at the bottom, if you only have one language then you don't need to bother moving it, if you don;t have English (United States) then select add languages and choose English (United States).. if it doesn't work you may need to delete the English (United States) and add it again selecting add languages you will be asked if you want to install the language just click install or ok, also it should look something like this (RESTART PHONE)

English (United States)
Phone Language: enabled
Regional format: enabled
Speech: enabled
Keyboard: english

2. go to settings and then select region and change country/region to United States and you must also set regional format to United States (RESTART PHONE)

3. go to settings and then select speech and then select speech language and change to English United States (RESTART IF NEEDED)

then restart the phone and Cortana should be working great with the search button

also you should look on your app list cortana should be there then pin it to your start screen, then click it and follow the Cortana Setup

There is now a WPCENTRAL news article by Rich Edmonds with clearer instructions than mine here is a link
http://www.windowscentral.com/want-cortana-outside-us-heres-how

Last edited:

mcarnali

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Lumia 928, with Language as English (United States), Region set to United States, Enlgish (United States), and no luck getting Coratana, she isn't an application and when I hold the search button I get a newer search screen but isnt Cortana.

Not sure what I am missing.

mcarnali

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
THanks for the above post I made sure step 1 was correct. Once that was I restarted and it still didnt appear when hitting search but once I went to settings -> Applications, I had to turn cortana on after that.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
When you hold the windows button Cortana should launch correct?

no you have to press the search button to access cortana or hold the search button for cortana to listen immediatly not the windows button.. they changed it...

Last edited:

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have cortana but it is not on my app list or application's and no live tile thinking of doing a hafd reboot then upgrade again would that help

i think the hard reset should be a last resort i did not hard reset my 2 phones, or my friends 2 phones or my mum's and all work well...you should be able to get it working using my notes on page 1 of this thread (on a pc)..good luck

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't have Cortana on my phone what to do now... I changed my region and language to US but still can't have it...help me please

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett