Fox News in Cortana news results? (How to remove?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quek9

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Lol, the LA Fitness I used to work out at had TVs with nothing but MSNBC on in front of all the treadmills. Got me back into running outside, so thanks Al Sharpton! ;P

This is too funny, the LA Fitness I go to have a mixture of MSN, Fox, ESPN, NFL network, etc...Plus a nice assortment of scantly dressed women. :)

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure how to remove Fox News but I have a way to personalise news according to our interests. Attached below are the screen shots of my phone with Windows News and Singapore News (Instead of US).
wp_ss_20140514_0003.jpg
wp_ss_20140514_0003.jpg

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Found a fox news article in my Science feed. Funny I thought fox news didn't believe in Science. How the tides work is a mystery to them.

koreatownexile

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
"This. Liberal logic 101 - If the set of beliefs aligns with theirs then go ahead and indoctrinate us all. As soon as the beliefs do not agree 100% with them everything is seen as indoctrinating and should be banned from every aspect of life."

(Edited: Sorry; made no sense without the quote:))

(Hmm. Sounds pretty much like Tea Party Logic to me.))
But anyway, all news-source biases/viewpoints/beliefs aside, choice would be good.
That way everyone could be happier, regardless of their position on the ideological spectrum.
I consider myself open-minded, but I do fall in that category of those who have a painful flash of the faces of Sean Hannity and Rupert Murdoch whenever a Fox News-sourced story shows up on Cortana.
(If you happen to actually like those faces and their respective viewpoints... well, you're certainly entitled to.)

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So you didn't notice?

I guess that explains this.

STUDY: Watching Fox News Makes You Less Informed Than Watching No News At All - Business Insider
Survey: NPR?s listeners best-informed, Fox viewers worst-informed | Poynter.
Poll: Fox News Viewers Less Informed Than Those Who Read No News
Fox News Viewers Uninformed, NPR Listeners Not, Poll Suggests - Forbes
Jon Stewart says those who watch Fox News are the "most consistently misinformed media viewers" | PolitiFact

Fox news watchers are consistently uninformed and willfully ignorant to a lot. I guess if you are ok with ignoring their transgressions you can keep them as your source. Those of us who want truth in their news and pundits that make logical arguments based in facts will switch at the first opportunity.

Woohoo!

Not last place!

Not last place!

That poll shows that pretty much all of the major news networks make everyone pretty uninformed. I'm not sure that its a proper thing to brag about. I'm also not sure that quoting someone quoting a comedian is a great source to post either...

Did it ever occur to you that Fox's viewership is a lot older than other news sources? Lol they're uninformed because they're old, not because of the facts they hear. I don't think that someone who's misplaced their dentures can be an accurate representation of a network. Oh, but that's just spin right? If it points out a flaw in your argument, its making excuses. IF someone wants to post a reliable article that shows that Fox spreads more false news (and not including pundits, which are not included because that would be ridiculous to include them) compared to other national news networks, be my guest.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What case? That you can find pundits that you claim to be news?

The truth is that I don't have enough desire or energy to search for instances at other news agencies because I'm not the one that's so worked up about it.

If you want to live in a bubble where the is one evil news agency and the rest are golden go on right ahead.

They are either rare or they don't exist. It was what I expected you to say and I got it. But again, I have no problem with you living in the bubble you live in. My line in the sand is having the option to choose my news source. If I can't choose, Cortana is history on my phone. Which makes WP less interesting. ergo I'm off to another platform. It'll sting for a minute, but I'll adjust.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
They are either rare or they don't exist. It was what I expected you to say and I got it. But again, I have no problem with you living in the bubble you live in. My line in the sand is having the option to choose my news source. If I can't choose, Cortana is history on my phone. Which makes WP less interesting. ergo I'm off to another platform. It'll sting for a minute, but I'll adjust.

If having Fox as a news source is so unbearable, why turn Cortana all the way off and not just turn off the headline news feature in the interests settings for Cortana?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

So I'm in a bubble because I look at news from multiple sources and multiple viewpoints? But you, who exclude sources from one particular viewpoint, are not in a bubble?

Meh... go on right ahead. I just wanted to give my 2 cents in the thread. I don't really want to put any effort into changing anyone's mind. Too much effort for something that will pretty much not have any result.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This thread has gone way off topic.

For the time being, you can't change news sources in Cortana. If you hate Fox that much, then you shouldn't be with Microsoft because they team up a lot (they've corroborated with them a bunch of times). This topic has seriously spun out of control, so I'm thinking a mod should close it since the initial question has already been answered.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Did it ever occur to you that Fox's viewership is a lot older than other news sources? Lol they're uninformed because they're old, not because of the facts they hear. I don't think that someone who's misplaced their dentures can be an accurate representation of a network. Oh, but that's just spin right?

No. That statement is not "just spin." It's age discrimination. What's the matter? Fox got tired of racism and decided to branch out?

If it points out a flaw in your argument, its making excuses. IF someone wants to post a reliable article that shows that Fox spreads more false news (and not including pundits, which are not included because that would be ridiculous to include them) compared to other national news networks, be my guest.

The flaw in your argument is the Fox Noise is on 24/7 and during a chunk of the day they are broadcasting lies and bigotry. We aren't just going to conveniently disregard the pundits just to shore up your argument. I don't want racism on my phone. Saying it's racism from a "pundit" doesn't make it any better. Cortana needs choice.

I don't see Fox as these big liars. I see them as biased to the right. I also see that their reporters are more inclined to believe stories that support their world view.

But I see the exact same things on CBS, MSNBC, and CNN. I've seen reporters that spread falsehoods.

That is 100% false. MSNBC has had numerous prominent Republicans that were given their own OPINION shows, not just some random reporter reading press copy. I have never seen that at Fox. Actually the show on MSNBC that I watch the most and that fills up the largest amount of time slots on MSNBC is a Republican... actually a Republican former Congressman to be exact. List for us all the prominent Democrats with their own multihour opinion show 5 days a week on Fox.

FYI Glenn Beck got his first really big TV break on... CNN. Which left winger got their own hour long 5 day a week opinion show on Fox and used it as a spring board to MSNBC or CNN? I don't know of anyone that is as left wing as Glenn Beck is right with their own show on Fox.

Let's all stop with the false equivalency. We are all adults. In the real world things are almost never equal. And things as complex and news organizations that report a mix of news, politics, opinion, and entertainment are never going to be equal. To say otherwise is childish.

The thing is, if you are only willing to get news from one perspective, then you're world view is going to be skewed because news is reported from the reporter's perspective.

I like how if you eliminate one news source, Fox Noise, then that means you only get your news from "one perspective." Actually no. I watch MSNBC. So I actually hear news and opinion from multiple points of view like the Republican former congressman that's on for THREE HOURS a day FIVE DAYS a week. And the nice part is the guy isn't a racist. That's the kind of thing I need from Cortana.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Cortana is still a beta app at this point. We have no idea what changes will be planned regarding news sources.

This political debate is not beneficial to the WPCentral community, so this thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99