04-17-2014 03:49 PM
72 123
tools
    I finally have a phone that will turn on Bluetooth or wifi by talking to it. Been waiting forever for GNow to add that feature.

Her opinion of Xbox One versus PS4 is not surprising.
    04-15-2014 03:45 PM
    Her opinion of Xbox One versus PS4 is not surprising.
    Was there any specific query you asked? Because when I tried to ask of her opinion about both consoles she did web search
    04-15-2014 03:49 PM
    I get Bing searches some of the times... Not sure if maybe she should be addressed when wanting a verbal response??? Cortana, ...
    04-15-2014 03:53 PM
    I'm looking for functionality rather than wit. Cortana is more impressive at this stage than her rivals were. I really like the remind me feature. She gets shy and muted whenever there's a bluetooth about. I can't really get to work with my damn, ever-lousy Ford Sync. It is very frustrating and I don't like to raise my voice to Cortana. It's silly enough as it is without me shouting at her and I'm worried she'll do a Silver Linings Playbook on me and start shouting back, "He's harassing me! He's HARASSING me! Ford Sync, I spit on the ground and stomp on the spit. Feh! But I would like to use Cortana in the car and I would like to play tunes or audible books in the car and use the car's speakers. Otherwise, the speakers on-board my Lumia 1520 are good enough that it'll do. And the 1520 microphone is far superior to the awful Sync mike. Sync being putrid being a theme in this post.

I hope Cortana learns that not every question is directed to the web. If I want a web search, I have plenty of ways to get to it. One potentially very useful feature is the "on device" searching. I had to do a hard reset before it would work at all but now it does register results found on my phone. But it is the fifth scrolling selection. BB long has had universal searching and it displays the results in truncated but more organized forms and seems to intuit that when I search on my phone I am often looking for some app or email or doc or file residing on my phone. Cortana instead always leads with the web and leads with a lot of web results, so I find myself scrolling more than would be optimal.

Duh, edit: It occurred to me after I'd posted that instead of scrolling 5 times to the right to get to the "phone" results, I should try scrolling left. Which I did, and it works, so that "phone" results, like apps and emails, are only a single swipe away.
    Last edited by mmcpher; 04-15-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Denseness
    04-15-2014 04:10 PM
    Well now you have Bing search that talks back. Where is the Cortana we saw on all the videos? Why can she turn on Bluetooth but not my ringer? Why can she remind me something when I get to work but cant tell me where I work ? How come my location is no lie "some street Gainesville 32607" your connected to my GPS and location reporting 24-7 google can tell me where I'm at, so can hear maps. Bata no bata idc give me a assistant not another search option or witty replies.
    04-15-2014 04:32 PM
    Well now you have Bing search that talks back. Where is the Cortana we saw on all the videos? Why can she turn on Bluetooth but not my ringer? Why can she remind me something when I get to work but cant tell me where I work ? How come my location is no lie "some street Gainesville 32607" your connected to my GPS and location reporting 24-7 google can tell me where I'm at, so can hear maps. Bata no bata idc give me a assistant not another search option or witty replies.
    What is "Beta"?
    04-15-2014 05:44 PM
    What is "Beta"?
    The entire windows phone 8.1 apparently
    04-15-2014 05:53 PM
    I'm looking for functionality rather than wit. Cortana is more impressive at this stage than her rivals were. I really like the remind me feature. She gets shy and muted whenever there's a bluetooth about. I can't really get to work with my damn, ever-lousy Ford Sync. It is very frustrating and I don't like to raise my voice to Cortana. It's silly enough as it is without me shouting at her and I'm worried she'll do a Silver Linings Playbook on me and start shouting back, "He's harassing me! He's HARASSING me! Ford Sync, I spit on the ground and stomp on the spit. Feh! But I would like to use Cortana in the car and I would like to play tunes or audible books in the car and use the car's speakers. Otherwise, the speakers on-board my Lumia 1520 are good enough that it'll do. And the 1520 microphone is far superior to the awful Sync mike. Sync being putrid being a theme in this post.

I hope Cortana learns that not every question is directed to the web. If I want a web search, I have plenty of ways to get to it. One potentially very useful feature is the "on device" searching. I had to do a hard reset before it would work at all but now it does register results found on my phone. But it is the fifth scrolling selection. BB long has had universal searching and it displays the results in truncated but more organized forms and seems to intuit that when I search on my phone I am often looking for some app or email or doc or file residing on my phone. Cortana instead always leads with the web and leads with a lot of web results, so I find myself scrolling more than would be optimal.

Duh, edit: It occurred to me after I'd posted that instead of scrolling 5 times to the right to get to the "phone" results, I should try scrolling left. Which I did, and it works, so that "phone" results, like apps and emails, are only a single swipe away.
    Alot of hate towards Ford I see
    04-15-2014 05:58 PM
    Well, Cortana is not as good as Google Now when it comes to search result.
    It's just an avg voice assistant and design fo US only.

Funny though some users think it's better than Google Now.
    04-15-2014 06:06 PM

ITS BETA lol
    04-15-2014 06:38 PM
    ITS BETA lol
    Exactly!

That's where my last line comes
    04-15-2014 07:26 PM
    What is "Beta"?
    It's a fish that lives for approximately three years...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betta
    SpaceyO likes this.
    04-16-2014 12:02 AM
    No Cortana is fine in that aspect she does bring up the weather but I honestly want to mess around with her but she isn't interacting with me at all :c I feel unloved :c
    What kind of messing were you doing exactly? 0.o tsk tsk tsk hahahaah
    04-16-2014 12:09 AM
    I am curious since you said you just updated... if you ask her what the weather is, does she tell you or do a bing search? There was an error yesterday that may still be out there that caused cortana to bing search EVERYTHING except for stuff like "call someone".. ask her to tell you a joke, if she doesn't and she bing searches it you may have that bug... otherwise you may be expecting too much :p... but yes.. beta.. though that will get old soon, haha.
    She does tell jokes lol 😁
    04-16-2014 12:22 AM
    The entire windows phone 8.1 apparently
    This was well known before it got released.
    04-16-2014 12:23 AM
    This was well known before it got released.
    It was a joke
    04-16-2014 12:54 AM
    Agreed.
    Cortana can't answer simple questions like 'who am I?', 'Who are you?', 'What's your name?'
    It is still in Beta and should get better and better in months time.
    I just did all 3 you said it couldn't. I'm in Hawaii using the ICON. maybe it's your location....
    04-16-2014 07:30 PM
    When it comes to Cortana, she only works when connected to the Internet. Even to send a text message, she says she must use internet. I just don't get it.
    But are you experiencing any issues when receiving SMS? If I receive and SMS between 7pm and 9pm the same text is received multiple times. No matter which contact sent me, I keep receiving them repeatedly.
    04-16-2014 07:43 PM
    I have done all the suggested things including a factory reset and still its pretty much a voice activated web search. She still can't tell me her name, tell me my name, tell me where I am, home, work, favorite places, no voice greeting from search key or live tile. Yes she can set reminders (toast notification really??) no chit chat, a few witty responses well the same response starting to sound like a broken record.

I know she's bata but she doesn't even live up to her bata hype we all have seen. I am in north Florida using a att branded 1520 so that's not the issue. Just strange she works so well for some people and not at all for most.

Any more tricks to get her to work?
    Have location on or it doesn't work from search, and she will tell she will tell you that if you launch her from the program directly.
    04-16-2014 07:50 PM

Are you from the US and di you have a windows phone?
    04-16-2014 07:54 PM
    Have location on or it doesn't work from search, and she will tell she will tell you that if you launch her from the program directly.
    I have location on and my home, work and 10 favorite places set, gps on location services on.
    04-16-2014 08:02 PM
    Hey all, it's me, your somewhat loveable Microsoftie. :)

Ok, to rule out some misconceptions.

1. WP8.1 is no longer Beta. The WP8.1 CORE OS is RTM. There may be updates, but it's DONE. :)
    2. Cortana is what is currently in Beta.

As for Cortana. We worked REALLY REALLY hard to get out there what you have now. We know she has a LOT of work that is needed, however, we are very proud of what we have right now. You know the saying "Can't please everyone all of the time." In order to meet ship dates, a TON of meetings were held on what will go now, and what won't. The Roadmap for Cortana is a VERY LONG one. We have stuff rolling out almost daily to shore up her current functionality and make way for new ones. I have a thread going on here requesting feedback on what people are trying to do and what they expect and what they get. ALL of this information is being rolled up and sent to the powers that be to give them a better idea on what people are trying to do with Cortana and what they WANT to do with her.

I HIGHLY encourage everyone to provide feedback on that thread (please note that it is NOT a discussion thread) so I can really get things in front of the eyes of those that drive the direction for features and functionality.

Thanks all!!!
    04-16-2014 08:02 PM
    When I want to search something I wish she would show the answer not the search, but she rarely shows the answer.
    04-16-2014 08:04 PM
    Well I dont think the problem people are having with what is out now so much is she works so good for some and practically not at all for others witch is the majority and I'm talking about people in the US on US carriers.

Thank you and MS for the hard work on her.
    Talderon likes this.
    04-16-2014 08:11 PM
    Hey all, it's me, your somewhat loveable Microsoftie. :)

Ok, to rule out some misconceptions.

1. WP8.1 is no longer Beta. The WP8.1 CORE OS is RTM. There may be updates, but it's DONE. :)
    2. Cortana is what is currently in Beta.

As for Cortana. We worked REALLY REALLY hard to get out there what you have now. We know she has a LOT of work that is needed, however, we are very proud of what we have right now. You know the saying "Can't please everyone all of the time." In order to meet ship dates, a TON of meetings were held on what will go now, and what won't. The Roadmap for Cortana is a VERY LONG one. We have stuff rolling out almost daily to shore up her current functionality and make way for new ones. I have a thread going on here requesting feedback on what people are trying to do and what they expect and what they get. ALL of this information is being rolled up and sent to the powers that be to give them a better idea on what people are trying to do with Cortana and what they WANT to do with her.

I HIGHLY encourage everyone to provide feedback on that thread (please note that it is NOT a discussion thread) so I can really get things in front of the eyes of those that drive the direction for features and functionality.

Thanks all!!!
    Where is this thread located? I can't find it in the Cortana section
    04-16-2014 08:17 PM
72 123