Cortana isnt as smart as its advertised

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Agreed.
Cortana can't answer simple questions like 'who am I?', 'Who are you?', 'What's your name?'
It is still in Beta and should get better and better in months time.

I just did all 3 you said it couldn't. I'm in Hawaii using the ICON. maybe it's your location....

gomes920

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to Cortana, she only works when connected to the Internet. Even to send a text message, she says she must use internet. I just don't get it.
But are you experiencing any issues when receiving SMS? If I receive and SMS between 7pm and 9pm the same text is received multiple times. No matter which contact sent me, I keep receiving them repeatedly.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have done all the suggested things including a factory reset and still its pretty much a voice activated web search. She still can't tell me her name, tell me my name, tell me where I am, home, work, favorite places, no voice greeting from search key or live tile. Yes she can set reminders (toast notification really??) no chit chat, a few witty responses well the same response starting to sound like a broken record.

I know she's bata but she doesn't even live up to her bata hype we all have seen. I am in north Florida using a att branded 1520 so that's not the issue. Just strange she works so well for some people and not at all for most.

Any more tricks to get her to work?

Have location on or it doesn't work from search, and she will tell she will tell you that if you launch her from the program directly.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, it's me, your somewhat loveable Microsoftie. :)

Ok, to rule out some misconceptions.

1. WP8.1 is no longer Beta. The WP8.1 CORE OS is RTM. There may be updates, but it's DONE. :)
2. Cortana is what is currently in Beta.

As for Cortana. We worked REALLY REALLY hard to get out there what you have now. We know she has a LOT of work that is needed, however, we are very proud of what we have right now. You know the saying "Can't please everyone all of the time." In order to meet ship dates, a TON of meetings were held on what will go now, and what won't. The Roadmap for Cortana is a VERY LONG one. We have stuff rolling out almost daily to shore up her current functionality and make way for new ones. I have a thread going on here requesting feedback on what people are trying to do and what they expect and what they get. ALL of this information is being rolled up and sent to the powers that be to give them a better idea on what people are trying to do with Cortana and what they WANT to do with her.

I HIGHLY encourage everyone to provide feedback on that thread (please note that it is NOT a discussion thread) so I can really get things in front of the eyes of those that drive the direction for features and functionality.

Thanks all!!!

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Well I dont think the problem people are having with what is out now so much is she works so good for some and practically not at all for others witch is the majority and I'm talking about people in the US on US carriers.

Thank you and MS for the hard work on her.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, it's me, your somewhat loveable Microsoftie. :)

Ok, to rule out some misconceptions.

1. WP8.1 is no longer Beta. The WP8.1 CORE OS is RTM. There may be updates, but it's DONE. :)
2. Cortana is what is currently in Beta.

As for Cortana. We worked REALLY REALLY hard to get out there what you have now. We know she has a LOT of work that is needed, however, we are very proud of what we have right now. You know the saying "Can't please everyone all of the time." In order to meet ship dates, a TON of meetings were held on what will go now, and what won't. The Roadmap for Cortana is a VERY LONG one. We have stuff rolling out almost daily to shore up her current functionality and make way for new ones. I have a thread going on here requesting feedback on what people are trying to do and what they expect and what they get. ALL of this information is being rolled up and sent to the powers that be to give them a better idea on what people are trying to do with Cortana and what they WANT to do with her.

I HIGHLY encourage everyone to provide feedback on that thread (please note that it is NOT a discussion thread) so I can really get things in front of the eyes of those that drive the direction for features and functionality.

Thanks all!!!

Where is this thread located? I can't find it in the Cortana section

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Well I dont think the problem people are having with what is out now so much is she works so good for some and practically not at all for others witch is the majority and I'm talking about people in the US on US carriers.

Thank you and MS for the hard work on her.

Yeah, I have taken a lot of the information gathered from here and sent it up the chain. The not working part is frustrating. I have been flashing/re-flashing phones all day trying to replicate the issue. I think I am about to run out of phones. LOL!

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I have taken a lot of the information gathered from here and sent it up the chain. The not working part is frustrating. I have been flashing/re-flashing phones all day trying to replicate the issue. I think I am about to run out of phones. LOL!

I dont doubt it!!! Well that is good that you guys see its not what is out now is what users like myself are frustrated at but more it works so well for others and not for some and I'm thankful that is being looked into.

A way to reset just Cortana would be very helpful but idk how hard at this point it would be to add that.

Could most of the bugs be server rrelated like what server the phone is pulling from location wise Orlando,Tampa,Jacksonville?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Agreed.
Cortana can't answer simple questions like 'who am I?', 'Who are you?', 'What's your name?'

When I ask her "Who am I?" verbally, she returns a web page of stuff.
When I ask her "Who are you?" verbally, she says back that she's my personal assistant, etc.
When I ask her "What's your name?" verbally, she says back that her name is Cortana.
When I ask her "What is the weather like?" verbally, she says back the current temp and whether it is cloudy or whatnot.
When I ask her "What will the weather be like on Saturday?" verbally, she says back the weather forecast for Sat.
When I ask her "What is the closest Chinese restaurant?" she says back "I found this Chinese restaurant", shows me a map and suggests that I ask her how to drive there.

She has more answers than my ex-wife ever had. ;-)

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Cortana is as smart as the person using it. For the things I need it to do, it does a good job. Far better than my ipad ever did.. and this thing is beta. My question to the op is, all your posts complain incessantly about almost everything. Why don't you just quit?

fallback

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I dont doubt it!!! Well that is good that you guys see its not what is out now is what users like myself are frustrated at but more it works so well for others and not for some and I'm thankful that is being looked into.

A way to reset just Cortana would be very helpful but idk how hard at this point it would be to add that.

Could most of the bugs be server rrelated like what server the phone is pulling from location wise Orlando,Tampa,Jacksonville?

Try doing this one

http://forums.windowscentral.com/cortana/277212-how-get-witty-replies-cortana-without-doing-hard-reset.html

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I think Cortana does everything that can be reasonably asked. I don't think she's going to pick up on my emotional state and ask me if everything is okay. For the time being it's an amusing novelty that might become more. She'll need constant updates to become what we want her to be one day. The acorn has been planted, let's hope it'll grow into that tree.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Agreed.

Here are the screenshots of the same questions I asked Cortana

Sent from my RM-875_apac_sea_220 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140417_0004.png
    wp_ss_20140417_0004.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 1
  • wp_ss_20140417_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140417_0003.png
    121.4 KB · Views: 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics