Cortana isnt as smart as its advertised

Brian Holmgren

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Same here man. I'm a bit disappointed with her lack of 'witty answer' and personality

What about "Tell me a joke" -> "I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me." or the answer "What do you do when you see a spaceman? Park in it, man!" or do you prefer this Cortana joke? "The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar. It was tense". A last one: "Two antennas got married. The ceremony dragged on, but the reception was excellent."

Or her answers to:
"Who made you" -> "If I knew that, I'd have self awareness. And that might be dangerous."
"Who's your daddy" -> "Technically speaking, that'd be Bill Gates. No big deal."
"Are you better than Google Now" -> "My name is a lot less bossy." or "Not to brag, but apparently I'm going to help save the universe in about 500 years."

Arya Satya

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
What about "Tell me a joke" -> "I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me." or the answer "What do you do when you see a spaceman? Park in it, man!" or do you prefer this Cortana joke? "The past, the present, and the future walked into a bar. It was tense". A last one: "Two antennas got married. The ceremony dragged on, but the reception was excellent."

Or her answers to:
"Who made you" -> "If I knew that, I'd have self awareness. And that might be dangerous."
"Who's your daddy" -> "Technically speaking, that'd be Bill Gates. No big deal."
"Are you better than Google Now" -> "My name is a lot less bossy." or "Not to brag, but apparently I'm going to help save the universe in about 500 years."

I guess it has to do on server side? Example, I tried to ask something like 'what do you think of Bing'. She does web search.

Ekon

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Cortana works great for me. I haven't had not one error. She replies to everything I ask and only Bing searches when I intend her to.. Or.. It.. It's alot of fun. All her witty responses are great. I say beam me up Scotty every five minutes. I've been showing it off ever since I updated and about to show off some more right now.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I finally have a phone that will turn on Bluetooth or wifi by talking to it. Been waiting forever for GNow to add that feature.

Her opinion of Xbox One versus PS4 is not surprising.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I get Bing searches some of the times... Not sure if maybe she should be addressed when wanting a verbal response??? Cortana, ...

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for functionality rather than wit. Cortana is more impressive at this stage than her rivals were. I really like the remind me feature. She gets shy and muted whenever there's a bluetooth about. I can't really get to work with my damn, ever-lousy Ford Sync. It is very frustrating and I don't like to raise my voice to Cortana. It's silly enough as it is without me shouting at her and I'm worried she'll do a Silver Linings Playbook on me and start shouting back, "He's harassing me! He's HARASSING me! Ford Sync, I spit on the ground and stomp on the spit. Feh! But I would like to use Cortana in the car and I would like to play tunes or audible books in the car and use the car's speakers. Otherwise, the speakers on-board my Lumia 1520 are good enough that it'll do. And the 1520 microphone is far superior to the awful Sync mike. Sync being putrid being a theme in this post.

I hope Cortana learns that not every question is directed to the web. If I want a web search, I have plenty of ways to get to it. One potentially very useful feature is the "on device" searching. I had to do a hard reset before it would work at all but now it does register results found on my phone. But it is the fifth scrolling selection. BB long has had universal searching and it displays the results in truncated but more organized forms and seems to intuit that when I search on my phone I am often looking for some app or email or doc or file residing on my phone. Cortana instead always leads with the web and leads with a lot of web results, so I find myself scrolling more than would be optimal.

Duh, edit: It occurred to me after I'd posted that instead of scrolling 5 times to the right to get to the "phone" results, I should try scrolling left. Which I did, and it works, so that "phone" results, like apps and emails, are only a single swipe away.

Last edited:

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Well now you have Bing search that talks back. Where is the Cortana we saw on all the videos? Why can she turn on Bluetooth but not my ringer? Why can she remind me something when I get to work but cant tell me where I work ? How come my location is no lie "some street Gainesville 32607" your connected to my GPS and location reporting 24-7 google can tell me where I'm at, so can hear maps. Bata no bata idc give me a assistant not another search option or witty replies.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
Well now you have Bing search that talks back. Where is the Cortana we saw on all the videos? Why can she turn on Bluetooth but not my ringer? Why can she remind me something when I get to work but cant tell me where I work ? How come my location is no lie "some street Gainesville 32607" your connected to my GPS and location reporting 24-7 google can tell me where I'm at, so can hear maps. Bata no bata idc give me a assistant not another search option or witty replies.

What is "Beta"?

Azurus

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for functionality rather than wit. Cortana is more impressive at this stage than her rivals were. I really like the remind me feature. She gets shy and muted whenever there's a bluetooth about. I can't really get to work with my damn, ever-lousy Ford Sync. It is very frustrating and I don't like to raise my voice to Cortana. It's silly enough as it is without me shouting at her and I'm worried she'll do a Silver Linings Playbook on me and start shouting back, "He's harassing me! He's HARASSING me! Ford Sync, I spit on the ground and stomp on the spit. Feh! But I would like to use Cortana in the car and I would like to play tunes or audible books in the car and use the car's speakers. Otherwise, the speakers on-board my Lumia 1520 are good enough that it'll do. And the 1520 microphone is far superior to the awful Sync mike. Sync being putrid being a theme in this post.

I hope Cortana learns that not every question is directed to the web. If I want a web search, I have plenty of ways to get to it. One potentially very useful feature is the "on device" searching. I had to do a hard reset before it would work at all but now it does register results found on my phone. But it is the fifth scrolling selection. BB long has had universal searching and it displays the results in truncated but more organized forms and seems to intuit that when I search on my phone I am often looking for some app or email or doc or file residing on my phone. Cortana instead always leads with the web and leads with a lot of web results, so I find myself scrolling more than would be optimal.

Duh, edit: It occurred to me after I'd posted that instead of scrolling 5 times to the right to get to the "phone" results, I should try scrolling left. Which I did, and it works, so that "phone" results, like apps and emails, are only a single swipe away.

Alot of hate towards Ford I see

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Well, Cortana is not as good as Google Now when it comes to search result.
It's just an avg voice assistant and design fo US only.

Funny though some users think it's better than Google Now.

rculver9056

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I am curious since you said you just updated... if you ask her what the weather is, does she tell you or do a bing search? There was an error yesterday that may still be out there that caused cortana to bing search EVERYTHING except for stuff like "call someone".. ask her to tell you a joke, if she doesn't and she bing searches it you may have that bug... otherwise you may be expecting too much :p... but yes.. beta.. though that will get old soon, haha.

She does tell jokes lol 😁

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786