MS should integrate Cortana with HERE Maps, not the built in one

Romer Reyes

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Or maybe they should give us an option what maps to use.

I want HERE Maps because it has more stuffs and it knows local places unlike the built in one :(

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
HERE maps is the built in one. Unless you aren't using a Nokia phone, in which case, you will have to wait as they probably will do this in the future. I have no idea why someone would not have chosen Nokia as their Windows Phone.

Dave Bhullar

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
The built in maps that cortana uses have more places and the locations are accurate. Here maps isn't great for finding places in my area. I'd prefer it the way it is right now. It probably varies from region to region, here maps rarely finds accurate locations for points of interests for me

thekeeblerelf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a Lumia 928 on Verizon, and the 8.1 update included Microsoft's Maps application. Cortana defaults to use this application, rather than the HERE maps. I'm only really bothered by the redundancy, but the option to choose would be nice.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
HERE maps is the built in one. Unless you aren't using a Nokia phone, in which case, you will have to wait as they probably will do this in the future. I have no idea why someone would not have chosen Nokia as their Windows Phone.

Not true. In 8.1, Here Maps is not the built-in app. Who knows if that'll change with the Nokia firmware update or not.

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Isn't Microsoft Maps built off of the HERE tech? Either way, once the merger is complete & they stop acting as separate companies I expect it all to be the same

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
They can't do that since they're buying Nokia. They can't show any favoritism to Nokia at all during the acquisition otherwise they could get in legal trouble. Allowing any maps app to work would be a pretty good idea though.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Isn't Microsoft Maps built off of the HERE tech? Either way, once the merger is complete & they stop acting as separate companies I expect it all to be the same

The map data is licensed from Here. The apps themselves both render differently. I actually prefer the 8.1 built-in maps now myself.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft is only buying Nokia's hardware division. The HERE division will still operate independently (Though Microsoft is licensing HERE stuff for at least 4 years) along with the infrastructure division. That means the native Maps and HERE Maps will continue to be individual apps, but they'll use the same data.

Part of the reason this preview is out in the wild is for developers (Like Nokia's HERE division) to work on integrating their apps with new features. I suspect there are probably API hooks that can be used in apps to tie into Cortana, we just haven't seen anything other than the native apps use them.

kk77

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
With 8.1 there is a way to select the default Map application. Have you tried that?

Go to Settings --> Applications --> Maps and there if you scroll all the way down, you will find option to change the "Default voice navigation app"

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
With 8.1 there is a way to select the default Map application. Have you tried that?

Go to Settings --> Applications --> Maps and there if you scroll all the way down, you will find option to change the "Default voice navigation app"

Voice navigation app is different from mapping app though. The former works for queries like "Drive to" or "Navigate to". The latter is for things like "Where am I" or (potentially - though it hasn't done this for me) "where is".

leops1984

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Outside of the US there is a huge gap in the data available to the default Maps app and HERE. In the Philippines, HERE is reasonably filled out; the built-in app has roads... and that's about it. No points of interest at all, so many of Cortana's best features are non-existent.

Romer Reyes

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Outside of the US there is a huge gap in the data available to the default Maps app and HERE. In the Philippines, HERE is reasonably filled out; the built-in app has roads... and that's about it. No points of interest at all, so many of Cortana's best features are non-existent.

This is what I'm saying! Haha. I'm from the PH too

cdesportnut

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
How do I set current location to favorites. I work on a campus with many buildings and have multiple locations I frequently go to that don't have an exact address. Example: The gym on my campus is in a specific location, and I want to remind me of something when I get to gym (location)

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
The question should be she needs to be tied to the maps app better. What I mean by this is here maps knows my exact location IE address I'm at, Cortana when I ask my location no matter if I'm home work or at a Starbucks she always comes back with "some street Gainesville 32607"

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos