Can someone please explain how third party apps work with Cortana?

Bacalaohombre

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
are there only certain apps that are supported? e.g. when I hit "see more ideas" I just see dictionary.com, newegg, twitter, and wpcentral. does that mean that those are the only third-party apps I have that cortana supports? I don't see any way to add or register apps with cortana.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So far, I think the only apps that support Cortana are native apps. The ones you see under "More Ideas" are apps that implemented the old voice commands which have been replaced by Cortana. I don't know for certain, but I imagine Cortana has some APIs that developers can tap into to enable their apps to interact with her. Of course, apps will have to be updated to take advantage of those things.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So far, I think the only apps that support Cortana are native apps. The ones you see under "More Ideas" are apps that implemented the old voice commands which have been replaced by Cortana. I don't know for certain, but I imagine Cortana has some APIs that developers can tap into to enable their apps to interact with her. Of course, apps will have to be updated to take advantage of those things.

This is correct. It is now up to 3rd party developers to work with the Cortana API's to allow Cortana to be aware of those apps and their functions that Cortana is allowed to control.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't see Skype on the Cortana app list. I can't make Skype work. But they did demo the Skype call in the BUILD 2014. I wonder why? My Skype is logged in, but no help.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Where is "More ideas." I can't even find that.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
More ideas is right under her greeting and suggestions. Its a bit small, but its there. Set up like a link.

Cortana can open applications and games. That's about it. Like it was mentioned above, she does work with native apps.

I don't think we will be seeing much right now, because its not officially out yet (WP 8.1). I do see some trickling down to the store. Betas for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss