The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-24-2015 10:04 AM
50 12
tools
    I had an issue after hard reset and simply adding ADVANCED on my Bluetooth settings made my Bluetooth read aloud in my car work... Hope that can help a couple of you...
    Last edited by Muessig; 09-26-2014 at 11:55 AM.
    daveb673 likes this.
    07-16-2014 11:02 AM
    Do you mean to use the 'Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech' option? Think I tried that, but worth trying again then restarting I guess
    07-17-2014 03:07 AM
    Do you mean to use the 'Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech' option? Think I tried that, but worth trying again then restarting I guess
    Yeah sorry that's the one :)
    I got silence in music when a text came in until I set the option and now it works perfectly. No need to repair...
    Although maybe it's worth it..
    One thing to try is to ensure your screen doesn't time out during pairing as I only got music initially and no phone numbers etc because the others times out..
    Keep tapping your screen 😊
    07-17-2014 04:53 AM
    I just noticed that when I make a phone call the option to use bluetooth isn't active either! So my car is just for the music (which is the main thing) but I can't use it for calls or texts! Anyone know if there's a way to make my phone think that the bluetooth connection is to headphones instead of just a speaker?? That's what seems to be the issue for me.
    07-18-2014 04:28 AM
    Does anyone know if there is a way to have text messages read aloud without having to respond to Cortana? I ride a motorbike and I got the read only via weird headset working, but don't have a MIC for her to hear me...
    07-20-2014 09:26 AM
    Thank you so very much ... This was JUST the problem. All is working great now. Anyone else having this issue? Definitely give this remedy a try.
    08-16-2014 06:46 PM
    When I am listening to music on my Headset and a text message comes through, it interrupts my music and prompts me to read the text through my headset. The problem is that once it is done, the phone goes automatically back to playing my music, but on my phone's speakers and not through the headset I was using the whole time!?

My coworkers get blasted with my music throughout the day. I hope to find a resolution soon.
    08-19-2014 04:07 PM
    Try turning off your Bluetooth. Seems like on the windows phone Bluetooth interferes with wifi calling on T-Mobile and it also stops speech. Perhaps many other things, but this is a known defect.

I was walking on a trail today and received a text message and my nokia 521 started the speech readout process. When I got home and my Bluetooth connected to a device, speech stopped working when I was testing via Google Voice messages.

Turned off Bluetooth, sent a couple of google voice and speech was back on.

By the way, if you have T-Mobile and need wifi calling because your signal stinks at home, T-Mobile will send you an in home cell booster....for free but you must return if you cancel the contract before 2 years. I'm on a month to month now and they still sent for free.

Good luck.

If anyone has a solution for speech with a connected Bluetooth device, but not a earphone, let me know.
    09-26-2014 11:50 AM
    I have a Lumia 920 and the Nokia Purity Pro Bluetooth headphones and I was getting text messages read out to me prior to 8.1 but since 8.1 (dev preview, no Cyan) I get nothing, the message is just ignored completely as far as audible notifications are concerned. I've tried various combinations of the settings above but as yet have been unable to get it to work. I'll keep trying.
    09-26-2014 06:47 PM
    My wife's Lumia 820 has had the same problem since updating to 8.1. No matter what setting I use in speech settings (always on, Bluetooth, etc.) the phone will not read text messages, either stand-alone or paired with Bluetooth in her car. She's getting pretty annoyed with it, and now that I'm trying to fix it, so am I.
    02-28-2015 05:54 PM
    FWIW any time I get any update to my phone, I have had to delete the phone from the car AND the car from the phone's bluetooth connections and pair them again.
    03-03-2015 09:47 AM
    In the Phone BT settings make sure you check the box : "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech' option"
    Kevin Leefarr likes this.
    03-27-2015 01:57 PM
    In the Phone BT settings make sure you check the box : "Use an alternate Bluetooth audio connection for Speech' option"
    I do believe this could be the answer. I look forward to trying it out tomorrow.
    I'll let you know how it goes. Many thanks.
    05-01-2015 06:46 PM
    Ok, well that did not work.
    Even when getting texts it would not play the notification until I got in the car.
    May be I need to pair the phone again?
    05-02-2015 10:39 AM
    Ok, still no luck, but I have just discovered a 'Driving Mode' menu in settings. Will have a fiddle tomorrow as see if anything changes.
    05-04-2015 05:56 PM
    Thanks Agent Splurge. I couldn't figure out why this HTC One M8 wouldn't do it, when my older Titan II would. The advanced setting thing did the trick, I think. Now if I can only get Uconnect to not ask me the questions in Mute mode...
    05-10-2015 06:59 PM
    I give up. I have turned Cortana off. She doesn't even talk to me and just gives me web results all the time.
    Very disappointed. :(
    05-11-2015 07:29 AM
    Yes!!

Changed settings to DEFAULT in messages and restarted and she now reads them out with all the options.
    Now, replying can be a bit hit and miss some tiimes and my diction is supposed to be pretty good. Something to work with though.

From disappointed to delighted in a couple of hours.

Next on the to-do list is.... Adding Cortana to the phone book so when I select the phone option on steering wheel I can communicate with her. Any ideas?
    05-11-2015 10:33 AM
    Yes!!

Changed settings to DEFAULT in messages and restarted and she now reads them out with all the options.
    Now, replying can be a bit hit and miss some tiimes and my diction is supposed to be pretty good. Something to work with though.

From disappointed to delighted in a couple of hours.

Next on the to-do list is.... Adding Cortana to the phone book so when I select the phone option on steering wheel I can communicate with her. Any ideas?
    What messages settings are you referring to?? My L830 still doesnt work right, I get stuck on the 'send, add more, try again' prompt.
    05-13-2015 10:47 AM
    It reads my message when I'm connected through my Xbox Bluetooth headset and my Nokia MD-12 Bluetooth speaker...
    05-13-2015 11:01 AM
    In notifications - I changed mine to banners and all, except vibrate and tone DEFAULT.
    Then when I restarted the phone she came on.
    She reads every text now, in car on bluetooth and when not on bluetoooth. I have it set to ALWAYS.

Language and Country/Keyboard is all set to UK.
    05-13-2015 04:19 PM
    sorry to bump an old thread but i cant find these settings in windows 10

can anyone help out ??? cheers
    07-16-2015 04:26 PM
    sorry to bump an old thread but i cant find these settings in windows 10

can anyone help out ??? cheers
    I've rolled back, but on the most recent build, I think you get to it by first opening Cortana's notebook. Don't recall the next step but that it was fairly obvious once you opened the notebook.
    07-16-2015 04:31 PM
    I've rolled back, but on the most recent build, I think you get to it by first opening Cortana's notebook. Don't recall the next step but that it was fairly obvious once you opened the notebook.
    thanks mate your a star

Its notebook/settings and then its right there :)
    07-16-2015 04:38 PM
    There was an update recently. This worked for a day or two, but then stopped.
    07-24-2015 10:04 AM
50 12