How do I get Cortana to read text messages aloud via Bluetooth?

nexialbinding

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone gotten Cortana to read texts aloud? There is an option for it under her speech settings but it hasn't yet worked for me. I'm assuming that this feature isn't ready yet?

WP_20140416 1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
re:

It works just the same way as in 8. You get an incoming text message, and then hear a prompt "Message from xxxxxxx. Would you like me to read it, or ignore it?"

fallback

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
re:

It worked perfectly while I was using my earphones she even offered if I should reply and all that : ]

**It also even works without earphones, etc.."

Last edited:

jcinoz

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
re:

Actually, it does work but you have to be out of the Messaging app. If you are in the app Cortana will not read it aloud. So if you are testing by sending yourself a message you need to hit the Start button immediately you send the text.

Phatapteryx

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

well, this may not be the right place but I'm not using Cortana (not in US & don't need regionalisation gone), but my reading aloud if incoming text has gone since 8.1 - used to work perfectly in car and with various bluetooth units... but not anymore... Does anyone else encounter this?

Alienhead95

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
re:

You have to install the mobile accessibility pack for that.
well, this may not be the right place but I'm not using Cortana (not in US & don't need regionalisation gone), but my reading aloud if incoming text has gone since 8.1 - used to work perfectly in car and with various bluetooth units... but not anymore... Does anyone else encounter this?

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
she works for me fine in my nissan altima and armada

Edit: I have an extremely difficult time initiating a voice text while in the car. I constantly get "Sorry, couldn't hear anything". Or it just quits listening.

Now, responding to an incoming text works much better in 8.1 as far as getting my reply correct, than it did in 8.0.

Last edited:

dermotw

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
re:

Works for me, she asks me if I want it read and if I respond... she does. In car via bluetooth or just the phone by itself on speaker...

-D

tafb

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
re:

Same here. Worked perfectly prior to 8.1. Have not been able to make it work again.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
re:

It's not gone. If you're in a different region other than united states, you still get TellMe like I do. It reads my messages like before.

Sent from my Windows Phone 8S by HTC using Tapatalk

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
re:

working for me fine, i drive for a living so its really handy to have all my texts come though the speaker i just wish she would do it for emails to

Phatapteryx

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
re:

hmmm, experimented again .... did force to USA to use Cortana... still no go. So a hard reset today, restore, reload language, re-pair... working again... dont think i'll be fiddling again with Cortana...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb