location based reminder not working at all

doben

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
so i've set favorites in the maps app and they show up correctly in the places section of the notebook. i am able to setup reminders like "remind me to close the fridge next time a get home" or whatever - so that works.
my location services are activated, of course and the gps shows i'm at the correct place, but...
those reminders never actually pop up. I tried this with three different locations and none worked, be it leaving or arriving.

any ideas what's wrong? hard reset should be a last resort.

germany/unlocked/920

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I've only tried it once but it worked with reminders popping up.

I read on forums people with Cortana problems turn Cortana off, soft reset, turn her back on and she works fine again.

doben

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
So I did a soft reset and deleted all my favorite locations beforehand. Tested it again and they're still not triggered at all :|

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
so i've set favorites in the maps app and they show up correctly in the places section of the notebook. i am able to setup reminders like "remind me to close the fridge next time a get home" or whatever - so that works.
my location services are activated, of course and the gps shows i'm at the correct place, but...
those reminders never actually pop up. I tried this with three different locations and none worked, be it leaving or arriving.

germany/unlocked/920

So I did a soft reset and deleted all my favorite locations beforehand. Tested it again and they're still not triggered at all :|

Can you provide the exact steps you used to set up your favorites? Also, have you tried to set any of them up through Cortana v.s Map?

Thanks!

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

germany/unlocked/920
Give her the ability to run in background and she will be your slave.... A poetic touch to the answer ....and update after she is your slave or if she rebels then too report back...

StephCG

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
The location based reminders were working pretty well for me, even I don't living in the US... But now whenever I try to save a reminder, Cortana tells me that can't find the place on the map... It was working, why it isn't working anymore? Anyone know how to fix it?

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Yea, not working for me, or am I doing it wrong ? I said "next time I am in the supermarket remind me to get some grapefruits", she came back with a list of "supermarkets" I selected ANY. So today I was running around, actually stopped by 2 supermarkets (large ones, not Mom and Pop ones), never saw one reminder...

Is this a bug at this point or did I do something wrong ? This feature is worthless if it does not work accurately. Yea, I know it's a preview but, people are saying it works...

When I first installed 8.1, I did do a hard reset and I also disabled her and enabled her before doing that...

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, some informational insight on this issue.

[INFO]Right now, the location based reminder system is best used with locations in your "Places" tab in Cortana's Notebook. Right now, generalized locations like "any supermarket" is more miss than hit, but that is being worked on. GeoFencing is still a WIP, but being worke3d on daily with regular updates on the back end.[/INFO]

I am putting this and further updates here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cortana/277645-cortana-news-coming-inside-op-being-updated.html

Thanks all!

doben

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
As for exact steps, I'd say I tried all variations by now.
Asking cortana "where am i", tapping on the map, saving as favorite.
Going to maps, setting up Favorites by either searching for or tapping on a location.
Until now Cortana once suggested my home adress as "is this where you work", so i dismissed it. maybe i could have edited it somehow, but didnt see an option. But since she recognized the location as a significant one and the adress was right, i went ahead and saved it as "home" via the maps app (tapping directly on the current location marker). that was after my soft reset when cortana didnt have any location data saved. but no reminder for either arrive or depart popped up.

i'll keep trying other locations, but it looks bleek.
i guess it's not a problem that i'm in germany, since it's just coordinates and she generally sets up the reminders properly.
thanks for your answers, talderon, i appreciate your ongoing effort.

I'm willing to test with the diagnostics app. but further guidance on what actions to perform would be welcome.

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
As for exact steps, I'd say I tried all variations by now.
Asking cortana "where am i", tapping on the map, saving as favorite.
Going to maps, setting up Favorites by either searching for or tapping on a location.
Until now Cortana once suggested my home adress as "is this where you work", so i dismissed it. maybe i could have edited it somehow, but didnt see an option. But since she recognized the location as a significant one and the adress was right, i went ahead and saved it as "home" via the maps app (tapping directly on the current location marker). that was after my soft reset when cortana didnt have any location data saved. but no reminder for either arrive or depart popped up.

i'll keep trying other locations, but it looks bleek.
i guess it's not a problem that i'm in germany, since it's just coordinates and she generally sets up the reminders properly.
thanks for your answers, talderon, i appreciate your ongoing effort.

I'm willing to test with the diagnostics app. but further guidance on what actions to perform would be welcome.

Have you given her background rights ...in battery saver appp ....she should always run in background yo be able to give reminders.....

doben

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
yes, yes of course. i didnt address that, because I took it for granted. Cortana can do whatever she pleases to :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon