07-26-2014 03:58 PM
1,060 12345 ...
tools
    I plan to update this post with news and information from the inside (Microsoft) that I am allowed to share that is not really being publicized.

[NOTE]Please note the following:

The team is currently working on a GDR1 update for Cortana and may have some updates for WP8.1 core as well. There is currently no timeline as to when the update will roll out, but the suggestion is As Soon As Possible.[/NOTE]

[NOTE]Cortana Chit-Chat

There was an issue with Chit-Chat a few days ago, the issue on our end has been resolved, so please report any new Chit-Chat issues.[/NOTE]

[INFO]04/17/2014

Cortana's "Getting to know you" reset.

This is a known issue and is being worked on. The ability to either manually kick off the questions or have it set to detect if you have not answered them and kicked them off will be implemented in a near future update.[/INFO]

[INFO]04/19/2014

Cortana's ability to turn on Wi-Fi at nearby places is being looked into and tested. There is hope that a fix will be rolled out soon.

Cortana not saying your name: Right now, this is by design while we work on some back-end stuff to get this working reliably.

Right now, the location based reminder system is best used with locations in your "Places" tab in Cortana's Notebook. Right now, generalized locations like "any supermarket" is more miss than hit, but that is being worked on. GeoFencing is still a WIP, but being worked on daily with regular updates on the back end.[/INFO]
    Hi! Thank you for this post! Do you have any information about the progress of cortana in Spanish, do you knows if we'll have to wait a lot?
    04-24-2014 05:14 AM
    So nice that you're doing this!

Can you shed any light on when Cortana is coming to, for instance, the UK?
    Cortana is supposed to be in the UK mid to late 2014. Probably in time for the official release of 8.1
    04-24-2014 05:15 AM
    Do you have any information about germany?
    04-24-2014 05:19 AM
    A few different questions/remarks that hopefully you can address:

1. Geofencing - my experience has been that geofencing works when (and only when) the "address" matches the GPS location exactly. When I put in my home and work addresses manually, I didn't get any notifications. When I asked "where am I" and used that location as each (even though the unit numbers were way off, e.g. my apartment is 300X and it says 500X) it works. The problem seems to be a great margin of error in Windows Phone maps. So far, I have never been able to trigger a notification at an unsaved location. If I say "remind me at Wegmans" it finds the correct Wegmans, but when I am actually there, maps show me in Kohl's, which is in the same plaza. Is this a problem that Microsoft is aware of? Is there a plan in place to fix it? It seems like the core mechanics are working perfectly (e.g. it finds the place you are looking for every time) but the mapping is the problem. For what it's worth, I live in NJ, about 45 minutes outside of NYC/Philly.

2. Commuting/Traffic information - this for me has been the most frustrating element, mainly due to the lack of transparency here. From what I have read on here, Cortana will only start to show you traffic information if you adhere to the same pattern of driving between work and home for awhile. So for anyone with an inconsistent schedule, it won't work. What I don't understand is this - if it uses location (which it always does - if you watch the phone for awhile you will see it ping the GPS every now and then) why doesn't it always show the time to work or to home in the Cortland screen with news and flash it on the Live tile like a news story? This would be a much more useful functionality that almost all users would enjoy. If she knows I am work, she can show the distance home. If she knows I am home, she can show the distance to work. If I am at neither, perhaps it could show the time home. With regard to this same issue, there doesn't seem to be any consistent methodology for calendar appointments. I've made some with full address information, but it never shows traffic or any sort of information. Is there a surefire way of creating an appointment with a location and receiving "time to leave" notifications?

3. Movies - this is a weirdly jarring omission, as it worked with Bing search before. All attempts to get local movie times from Cortana result in a web search. With Bing, I could say or type movie times and it would show local times. Is this just a bug? It seems a very simple process and the mechanism is there from Bing, Cortana would just need to parse requests for show times as such.
    04-24-2014 06:20 AM
    I like this idea. Only a commuter would appreciate this.
    Right exactly. Support for those of us who don't drive, or don't drive the whole way would be awesome. I normally walk to work or take transit everyday. It'd be great to have those travel times for transit. And being able to "pin" any searches like you can for weather locations, would be super powerful.
    04-24-2014 09:21 AM
    Same here i normally walk or drive to the train station. The time to leave to reach the train is the important to me.
    04-24-2014 09:46 AM
    Some new updates to the OP. I'll try to get more news. :D Keep checking the OP!
    ven07 and boxa72 like this.
    04-24-2014 05:03 PM
    Any word on if Cortana will support setting your preferred method of transportation (walking, cycling, transit, driving)? The "Time to Leave" alerts for calendar events only work for driving times, but asking Cortana how long it will take to get somewhere by transit gives accurate results.
    I'd love to see a smarter, more flexible implementation of this stuff:
    Me: Cortana, when's the next train from Station A to Station B?
    Cortana: There's an express train scheduled to depart at 7:05am (5 minutes from now). There is another train departing at 7:45am.
    Me: I'll take the 7:45am train
    Cortana: Okay [Cortana then alerts me a few minutes later that I need to leave if I want to make the 7:45am train]
    04-24-2014 05:06 PM
    I'd love to see a smarter, more flexible implementation of this stuff:
    Me: Cortana, when's the next train from Station A to Station B?
    Cortana: There's an express train scheduled to depart at 7:05am (5 minutes from now). There is another train departing at 7:45am.
    Me: I'll take the 7:45am train
    Cortana: Okay [Cortana then alerts me a few minutes later that I need to leave if I want to make the 7:45am train]
    This stuff is coming. It really is. We just have SO MUCH going on, there is no timeline, but, it's coming. :)
    04-24-2014 05:14 PM
    Some new updates to the OP. I'll try to get more news. :D Keep checking the OP!
    Composing emails from Cortana would be a valuable addition. Hope this is coming soon.
    Talderon, vormison and edoug like this.
    04-24-2014 06:46 PM
    This stuff is coming. It really is. We just have SO MUCH going on, there is no timeline, but, it's coming. :)
    I can't imagine the craziness that's happening behind the Windows right now. It must be crazy. Its like a rebirth.
    04-24-2014 06:48 PM
    Composing emails from Cortana would be a valuable addition. Hope this is coming soon.
    Yeah, this is in the works, but nothing of noteworthiness to post yet. :)

I can't imagine the craziness that's happening behind the Windows right now. It must be crazy. Its like a rebirth.
    heh, 16-18 hour days gets old, let me tell you. BUT, we are all passionate about making Cortana everything we all hoped for. We want her to be smart, intelligent and relevant when she comes to Xbox One and PC's/Tablets.
    04-24-2014 06:52 PM

heh, 16-18 hour days gets old, let me tell you. BUT, we are all passionate about making Cortana everything we all hoped for. We want her to be smart, intelligent and relevant when she comes to Xbox One and PC's/Tablets.
    How about other languages?

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk
    04-24-2014 06:53 PM
    How about other languages?

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/cor...ml#post2479435

Read OP please. :)
    ven07 likes this.
    04-24-2014 06:58 PM

I'll be here, waiting, and ready.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-24-2014 07:15 PM
    Question does Cortana have the ability to read emails with UPS tracking information and display that like in Google Now?
    ven07 likes this.
    04-25-2014 01:07 AM
    Question does Cortana have the ability to read emails with UPS tracking information and display that like in Google Now?
    Dude! Read the OP!! ... Just kidding, you beat me to the punch, I just updated the OP with that information a couple minutes ago.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-25-2014 09:09 AM
    Talderon,
    Sigh... I wish I could work on the Cortana's team... There is so much I want it to do, that it's easier I implement it myself. :-)

On the side note, even though you say the geofencing is hit/miss, I must say that it works reliably well in the LA area. I actually discovered a Target while I was driving in the neighborhood and Cortana poped a reminder I had set to buy something at Target as I was passing by.
    Talderon and ajj3085 like this.
    04-25-2014 05:09 PM
    Talderon,
    Is showing local movie times when asking for them something in the works?
    It seems like the back end is already there (it shows movie times in Bing on Windows Phone) Cortana would just need to understand questions like "show me movie times" "what movies are playing" "when is *movie* playing near me?"

Right now they just go to web searches.
    04-25-2014 05:29 PM
    Talderon,
    Is showing local movie times when asking for them something in the works?
    It seems like the back end is already there (it shows movie times in Bing on Windows Phone) Cortana would just need to understand questions like "show me movie times" "what movies are playing" "when is *movie* playing near me?"

Right now they just go to web searches.
    Yes, but I have nothing noteworthy to post at this time, so I have not added anything to the OP. I will add it as soon as I have something worth reporting.
    04-25-2014 06:37 PM
    This thread is so kick a$$ that I am actually going to go through the trouble to figure out how to pin it to my start screen...
    Talderon likes this.
    04-25-2014 06:54 PM
    Hey everyone i'm very exiting with cortana, she eis great. I find the next bug, don't know if is just my 925 or al wp 8.1:
    with my 925 locked with password, I press the search button to ask cortana to do something then she make me unlock the phone and do what I request but if I press the back button the cellphone is automatic unlocked (so is like a back door to my phone).
    then is just me, or the 'keep me update about flights' isn't working?

regards from Argentina
    04-25-2014 06:57 PM
    I haven't done anything complicated with Cortana but I can honestly say I use her daily. My favorite thing is the location based reminders. Crazy about this and it works so well. It has cut my use of post-it notes in half. Now I no longer worry about forgetting to do something when I leave/ arrive at home ,work,grocery store,etc.
    04-25-2014 07:26 PM
    Dude! Read the OP!! ... Just kidding, you beat me to the punch, I just updated the OP with that information a couple minutes ago.
    Awesome! Cortana team is moving with rapid velocity, Google look over your shoulder!
    04-25-2014 08:11 PM
    Hi Talderon
    Following is my suggestion about quiet hours.

I have attached a photo of current quiet hours on my phone. Its set from 11pm to 6am everyday.

My suggestion is to have different time frames for each day.
    Example:
    I might want to have quiet hours from 11pm to 6am on weekdays and 11pm to 9am on weekends.

So must have option to set for individual day of the week or by day range.

Posted from Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    DavidinCT, b23h and Donny James like this.
    04-25-2014 08:25 PM
1,060 12345 ...