07-26-2014 03:58 PM
1,060 ... 40414243
tools
    Well, yes. I've had no misconception, but the update servers are aware of what build of OS is in place (point being that Lumia DP users aren't currently getting an update, but consumer 8.0 users are). The misconception here has been further been promoted somewhat by @WindowsPhoneUK who mentioned that Cortana is coming to the UK:-

"@WindowsPhoneUK Barring an unforeseen issue, down to less than 2 weeks for the developer preview"

But that message may have been sent before general release of 8.1 to UK customer started....

That point aside, I'm delighted that Cortana doesn't care what colour shirt people are wearing as long as it's the right number...
    07-24-2014 09:58 AM
    Talderon,

Simple question: Surely Cortana found out quite quickly where I live, but...
    Will Cortata ever guess I work FROM HOME? :D
    hopmedic and Kram Sacul like this.
    07-24-2014 10:13 AM
    Talderon,

Simple question: Surely Cortana found out quite quickly where I live, but...
    Will Cortata ever guess I work FROM HOME? :D
    That's ok Cortana thinks my girlfriend's house is where I work lol
    James8561 and Joe920 like this.
    07-24-2014 10:19 AM
    You're lucky, I've told Cortana multiple times where I live and work and she still doesn't tell me when to leave or any traffic alerts.
    07-24-2014 10:28 AM
    That's ok Cortana thinks my girlfriend's house is where I work lol
    I guess Cortana does remind you once a month to not go to work.
    07-24-2014 10:37 AM
    First week almost over.. Lets see. 2 weeks really means 2 weeks I guess :P
    07-24-2014 01:25 PM
    First week almost over.. Lets see. 2 weeks really means 2 weeks I guess :P
    I think the China and UK announcements will be at the same time.
    07-24-2014 01:33 PM
    Harry Shum (Microsoft executive vice president of Technology and Research) announced a breakthrough in speech-recognition technology, achieved through use of Bing, that enables Cortana to recognize more than a billion words in multiple languages that often are mixed in a single utterance.
    07-24-2014 03:13 PM
    Link?
    07-24-2014 03:41 PM
    07-24-2014 03:45 PM
    He's a bit busy at the moment... http://forums.windowscentral.com/cor...98463-end.html
    07-24-2014 04:09 PM
    Yup, I expect so. Many locations in Wales use sounds that don't exist in the English alphabet. Without producing an entirely Welsh Cortana (never going to happen), I have no idea how Microsoft will deal with this. But I'm an insatiable consumer, with zero knowledge of how this all works, so I'll just stamp my foot until it's sore and expect some Microsoft magic.
    The same way we got to spell our place names to all the tech support and sales people. we will prob have to type. I mean Pontyclun is easy ... isn't it?
    07-24-2014 05:15 PM
    The same way we got to spell our place names to all the tech support and sales people. we will prob have to type. I mean Pontyclun is easy ... isn't it?
    Imagine having to spell Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch for an overseas call centre, and you're paying silly amounts per minute for the privilege.
    07-24-2014 05:33 PM
    Ok, there is a misconception about Developer Preview and Retail Release.

People consider (and I did this myself) the Developer Preview to be BETA version of the OS. This is not the case. When we get a Developer Preview, we are getting the FULL RTM BITS for the CORE OS. Apps for the new OPS version? That is another story, but for all practical purposes, the OS is finished at this point. The Developer Preview program was conceived to allow developers early access to the OS so they can start updating their apps or write new ones for the new OS version. Microsoft just didn't make it hard for non-developers to get access to the bits. I mean, who would turn down thousands/millions of willing testers out there that are willing to do it for free?

So, what you see is what you get. The only real difference with the Retail vs. Developer Preview release is the firmware update from Nokia that is going out side-by-side with the retail update. Even though the Lumia has a vast majority of the handsets out there for Windows Phone, we're not the only ones out there.

I hope this clears things up a little and help people understand what's going on. :)
    Thank you so much for validating what I've been saying all along. There's always the guy who wants to argue that, "No, it's a beta!"
    mikeycl likes this.
    07-24-2014 07:50 PM
    Talderon, how's cortana being enabled on UK?

On a UK set phone, she'd just pop in the app list? Show up as an app update? Notification? Cortana takes over control and introduces herself?
    We all know how it goes when you change your region to US and she is available on reboot. But what happens in this case?
    bozza72 likes this.
    07-24-2014 09:41 PM
    07-24-2014 11:16 PM
    Turns out us in the UK won't get Jen Taylor. :sad:

See here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cor...taylor-uk.html

I've double checked and it's genuine. Here's hoping we can set it all to UK but use US English for speech....
    Andrew Elliott likes this.
    07-25-2014 08:09 AM
    Talderon, how's cortana being enabled on UK?

On a UK set phone, she'd just pop in the app list? Show up as an app update? Notification? Cortana takes over control and introduces herself?
    We all know how it goes when you change your region to US and she is available on reboot. But what happens in this case?
    If you run the search tool and type "Cortana Settings", you'll be able to get to the hidden settings screen where you'll be told that Cortana isn't available in this region. I keep checking in the vain hope that the "on" switch will become activated.
    07-25-2014 08:25 AM
    Thank you so much for validating what I've been saying all along. There's always the guy who wants to argue that, "No, it's a beta!"
    I PARTLY disagree here. Sure the code in the versions are the same and your seeing the same code going down on retail models but, When the DP started, it was final code but, more like a public beta/preview. As you seen, many updates for 8.1, namely bug fixes, not really feature extras or anything like that.

Final code sure but, I still see it (like a lot of people at Microsoft does too),as more of a PUBLIC beta more than final They can only do SO much testing in house, after that they cant figure out big bugs till it gets in everyone's hands. As Microsoft said when you downloaded it, This is "as-is" software. And I would bet Microsoft has a team just to watch forums like this and make notes on issues, then try to repo them.

So sure, final software but, a bunch of bug fixes before public release(NOT DP, release on phones)....Hmmmm, sounds like a beta to me, no ?

And know what, I'm good with it..... If Microsoft can make Windows Phone pretty much BUG free with my help in some way, then it's all good :)
    07-25-2014 02:02 PM
    Disagreeing with truth doesn't make it untruth. This isn't something I just made up. It comes from Microsoft people, as quoted, and other sources as well.

Bug fixes come to Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and formerly Windows XP every month. By your definition they are still in beta. No. It doesn't matter what the audience is, bug fixes will come when bugs are found. That doesn't make something beta.
    07-25-2014 02:34 PM
    I just asked Marcus nicely how the progress of binging Cortana to UK is going, and he said that they are still on schedule :). He is a nice guy
    07-25-2014 03:52 PM
    Turns out us in the UK won't get Jen Taylor. :sad:

See here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cor...taylor-uk.html

I've double checked and it's genuine. Here's hoping we can set it all to UK but use US English for speech....
    If that is indeed true that Cortana in the UK will just be the robotoicTellMe voice with an English accent then I'm very disappointed. Part of the fun of interacting with Cortana is hearing her personality come through various responses. Without those personal touches you might as well be talking to Google Now or any other emotionless Siri clone. The least they could do is hire an English voice actor to record lines. Looks like we won't even get that.
    07-26-2014 05:17 AM
    If that is indeed true that Cortana in the UK will just be the robotoicTellMe voice with an English accent then I'm very disappointed. Part of the fun of interacting with Cortana is hearing her personality come through various responses. Without those personal touches you might as well be talking to Google Now or any other emotionless Siri clone. The least they could do is hire an English voice actor to record lines. Looks like we won't even get that.
    Remember that the TellMe voice was used in the US until they replaced it with Jen Taylor, the same thing will happen here in the UK.
    07-26-2014 06:00 AM
    Remember that the TellMe voice was used in the US until they replaced it with Jen Taylor, the same thing will happen here in the UK.
    Let's hope you're right. Would be pointless releasing it here without the correct voice to go with it.
    07-26-2014 06:18 AM
    Nope. Cortana has always used Jen Taylor (when 8.1 DP was released and the demo during Build 2014). All they've done is re-record some line readings to be have more emotion. Unfortunately they still use the old TellMe voice for names, weather, e-mail, etc. It's very jarring.

It really isn't that hard to bring in Jen Taylor to do some UK specific line readings and jokes. The old TellMe voice with a English accent just isn't going to cut it with a lot of people. Cortana isn't Cortana unless Jen Taylor is the one doing the voice.
    07-26-2014 06:58 AM
1,060 ... 40414243