Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah ur absolutely right n the fact that I can't use it in Australia even though I speak the same language is really sad, when they could've used that time for Cortana to learn so much more! You need a massive installed base for machine learning to be useful at all n I think it's a major mistake on their part by not including EVERY native English speaking country.
Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The truth is, yes, Bing is VERY US centric in the fact that Microsoft is a US company. Bing in the US is TOTALLY different than Bing everywhere else. The ENTIRE Bing platform is preparing to fully release globally and this is one of the driving factors that Cortana needs in order to succeed in Non-US markets.

I have been stating this for a while now, this is more than an app localization and release, this is a HUGE undertaking for Microsoft and they have committed to it and are working non-stop to make this happen.

It's coming, but as I stated earlier, I would rather see delays and have it done right, than release a crippled product and try to patch the public outlook on the product.

Again, my 2 cents.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I hear ya but wouldn't the machine learning benefit from more English speaking people using it as opposed to only a relative few???
Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The truth is, yes, Bing is VERY US centric in the fact that Microsoft is a US company. Bing in the US is TOTALLY different than Bing everywhere else. The ENTIRE Bing platform is preparing to fully release globally and this is one of the driving factors that Cortana needs in order to succeed in Non-US markets.

I have been stating this for a while now, this is more than an app localization and release, this is a HUGE undertaking for Microsoft and they have committed to it and are working non-stop to make this happen.

It's coming, but as I stated earlier, I would rather see delays and have it done right, than release a crippled product and try to patch the public outlook on the product.

Again, my 2 cents.

You are absolutely correct. The problem is that Microsoft's direct competitors have done this already. Why wasn't Microsoft doing it right along side them? It's not like they're trying to do something groundbreaking here. In this market a year or two is a virtual lifetime.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You are absolutely correct. The problem is that Microsoft's direct competitors have done this already. Why wasn't Microsoft doing it right along side them? It's not like they're trying to do something groundbreaking here. In this market a year or two is a virtual lifetime.

Really, does the why matter? Even IF (big IF, there) someone here COULD answer it. It's in the past, over and done with, and Microsoft missed that boat. What's important is that they've hopped into a different boat, they've put a bigger engine into it, and they're sailing like crazy to get there. But the "there" that they're headed to isn't where the other guys are. The "there" that they're headed to is AHEAD of the other guys.

We can't change the past, and neither can Microsoft. I'm sure that they've got as many things that they'd change if they could as I do. But we're beating a dead horse here to keep asking "why didn't Microsoft.....?" I'm sure that's not what Talderon created this thread for. It seems to me that he created it to keep us as up to date as he is allowed to keep us, and to beat the dead horse is nothing but a time-waster for him as well as the rest of us.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Really, does the why matter? Even IF (big IF, there) someone here COULD answer it. It's in the past, over and done with, and Microsoft missed that boat. What's important is that they've hopped into a different boat, they've put a bigger engine into it, and they're sailing like crazy to get there. But the "there" that they're headed to isn't where the other guys are. The "there" that they're headed to is AHEAD of the other guys.

I know what you're saying, but I don't totally agree. Microsoft might be getting into a different (faster) boat, but at the same time Apple's and Google's boats are not in the harbor. They are forging ahead as well. Microsoft's goal might be ahead of where the others are now, but by the time Microsoft gets there, Apple and Google will be there and probably gone again already.

Talderon's post gives the impression that Microsoft is working hard at something new and innovative, going where nobody has gone before by making their PA/AI available outside the US. That's where I have an issue. If what they're trying to do is to make Cortana available to more than the United States, then they've already miserable failed in not doing that a long time ago. You're about the only person here that will admit that. Most don't.

lcw731

May 29, 2012
Visit site

I have been stating this for a while now, this is more than an app localization and release, this is a HUGE undertaking for Microsoft and they have committed to it and are working non-stop to make this .

Really? On July 4, I did a search on Bing for images of independence day. I was presented with an overwhelming assortment of images related to I dependence day, in INDIA, and very few for the USA. The search was done on a lap top, Lumia 920 and Lumia 2520 all with regional settings in the US, and done from Fort Worth, Texas. I usually don' t get offended, but this was one if the few times I was highly offended.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay all. I REALLY think we are starting to go sideways on this purpose of this post topic.

Let's try and get things back in line please.

Thanks!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I thought the purpose of this thread was to discuss all things Cortana......so far all of these points have been exactly about that.....cortana uses bing, bing only serves the US market, Cortana has been delayed primarily because bing cant wrap its head around a world further east than new York......all very Cortana specific.

This isn't a go at you talderon, it really isn't. You've been more than helpful in keeping us up to date and we're all extremely grateful to you for that. But there are a lot of really upset folk out there who had high hopes based on the things that MS were telling us....after nearly half a decade of waiting for a great moment from windows phone, we're just.........disappointed I guess

SPIFF Costa

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Talderon is right. This thread is sidetracking a bit. I like how Microsoft employees are communicating with their customers and I wanna keep that. Ranting is not a solution and it doenst explain anything. This Topic is for news about Cortana and Talderon even graces us with some explanation with what is going on inside Microsoft and their strategy. I really enjoy that and ranting will not help, it will only make them think that it's not worth to share their strategy with the WP community. Let's get back on track, please. I'm not saying you can't discuss these matters (obviously you can), but please do that on another post. I'm also not saying you can't give a negative review, just please try to do it in a helpful way, not just "OMG Microsoft sucks, only US, nobody likes me!!!!!" kind of way. Talderon already explained the best he can and I trust Microsoft to go in the right direction. I like this thread so please don't ruin it. Thank you

bbobeckyj

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
I thought the purpose of this thread was to discuss all things Cortana......so far all of these points have been exactly about that.....cortana uses bing, bing only serves the US market, Cortana has been delayed primarily because bing cant wrap its head around a world further east than new York......all very Cortana specific.

This isn't a go at you talderon, it really isn't. You've been more than helpful in keeping us up to date and we're all extremely grateful to you for that. But there are a lot of really upset folk out there who had high hopes based on the things that MS were telling us....after nearly half a decade of waiting for a great moment from windows phone, we're just.........disappointed I guess
Thread title, "Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)". And the first words from the OP, "I plan to update this post with news and information from the inside (Microsoft) that I am allowed to share that is not really being publicized." I've no idea how you or anyone could confuse this.
Feel free to rant in another thread for that purpose, as you already are, so why the need to do so in here also? I for one would appreciate the posts and subsequent email notifications (which are effectively spam at this time) to at least be on topic if not Talderon's own news.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess it's just me then folks. I am digging through and getting information as best I can and putting it out there so people will be more in the know about how things are working (which is something Microsoft has been lacking and I hope to fix it in my little corner of the world). I see more complaints about how we are always doing things wrong because we can't fit into the expectations of everyone when people are just not clued in on how much of an undertaking this really is. Regardless of trying to help people understand, it's just like drinking from the fire hose.

Cortana was released. We could not foresee how HUGE of a deal it was going to make, we dreamed, but you can never tell. People took a huge interest and the bank vault opened and plans were accelerated to turbo speeds and it's still not good enough.

I have written and deleted this post more times than I can count. I am passionate about what we are doing and know first hand that we are truly doing the best we can to not only make things work, but meet the expectations people are wanting from us. We're taking direct feedback from the consumers and acting on them with priority! The ENTIRE design path for Cortana has changed SIGNIFICANTLY due to user feedback and listening to what people wanted.

Please keep in mind that these are just my personal feelings here and that I am doing this not because it is part of my job, I do this because I love the community and I get just as excited and heartbroken about things as you do! NOTHING I post here is to be taken as OFFICIAL in ANY form from Microsoft!

tavernlong

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Talderon

Thank you for what you are doing. You are taking time out of your busy day to give us help, tips, and small glimpse of what is going on in your part of Microsoft. I have enjoyed reading all the information you have brought forward. I have also enjoyed using Cortana and look forward to seeing Cortana mature over time.

As the internet continues to grow more negative, impatient and those who have a warped sense of reality. I hope there are still quite a few more of me out there that enjoy your work.

Talderon, to you and your team, keep up the great work, I can not wait to see what you have in store.

To the rest of you negative Nancy and other arm chair project managers:
I would like to see you do better, go on I will wait? ...... You done yet?
?You can't produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.?

sarmadak

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Talderon

Thank you for what you are doing. You are taking time out of your busy day to give us help, tips, and small glimpse of what is going on in your part of Microsoft. I have enjoyed reading all the information you have brought forward. I have also enjoyed using Cortana and look forward to seeing Cortana mature over time.

As the internet continues to grow more negative, impatient and those who have a warped sense of reality. I hope there are still quite a few more of me out there that enjoy your work.

Talderon, to you and your team, keep up the great work, I can not wait to see what you have in store.

To the rest of you negative Nancy and other arm chair project managers:
I would like to see you do better, go on I will wait? ...... You done yet?
?You can't produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.?

Hahahaha!! The last part was pretty neat!! Job well done Talderon and ultimately Microsoft.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think Cortana is cool and all, but it's highly delusional to think that it's a "big deal" for the masses who use Siri and Google Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99