The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-26-2014 03:58 PM
1,060 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Pin Cortana, select the tile. In the upper right, hit the three bars. Select "Places" then add as many favorite places as you like.
    gernerttl likes this.
    05-10-2014 08:02 PM
    You have to actually mark them in Maps as favorites. I wish you could add them as favorites directly from the Cortana places menu but meh, its a little thing.
    Edit: I should clarify, you can do that inside the Cortana menu but with the inconsistency in addresses on Maps, it's difficult for use with Wi-Fi.

If you're just trying to mark a place.. Very easy to do. Especially with restaurants and other mainstays.
    b23h and James8561 like this.
    05-10-2014 10:41 PM
    Will Microsoft bring the ability to swipe away individual Action Center items like you can do in Google Now? Also it might help to put some kind of a border around them...
    ven07 likes this.
    05-11-2014 12:22 AM
    Talderon,
    I would just like to say that after reading from the beggining, Thank you for all your time and effort to keep us informed. Very Much Appreciated!
    ven07 likes this.
    05-11-2014 01:50 AM
    @Talderon please tell me you'll have some free time to post some news (any news at all) here for us
    I think 8.1 is becoming an obsession
    05-11-2014 08:43 AM
    Will Microsoft bring the ability to swipe away individual Action Center items like you can do in Google Now? Also it might help to put some kind of a border around them...
    Yes MS did confirm that we will receive borders Actually I think Belfiore confirmed this during his reddit interview
    05-11-2014 08:45 AM
    How did you add your favorite places that are not labeled as work or home? I just did a hard reset since my last experiment. Maybe I should try again with favorites labeled as other.
    There are a few ways to achieve this.. My method is going to the place you would like to add as a favorite.. Ask her "where am I?" when she replies with the miniature view of the map, tap on it to enlarge, if the pointer is exactly where you want it to be then simply tap and hold The rest is pretty simple
    philharmonik and b23h like this.
    05-11-2014 08:47 AM
    Pin Cortana, select the tile. In the upper right, hit the three bars. Select "Places" then add as many favorite places as you like.
    Thanks. I've been using Microsoft Maps. Maybe that was the problem. I'll give it a try.
    05-11-2014 12:36 PM
    You have to actually mark them in Maps as favorites. I wish you could add them as favorites directly from the Cortana places menu but meh, its a little thing.
    Edit: I should clarify, you can do that inside the Cortana menu but with the inconsistency in addresses on Maps, it's difficult for use with Wi-Fi.

If you're just trying to mark a place.. Very easy to do. Especially with restaurants and other mainstays.
    That is how I was doing it before and that was when I found out that it worked if labeled as work or home. I stood inside my favorite Starbucks, opened Maps and made my current location a favorite. I also connected to the Wi-Fi in that restaurant to make sure my phone recognized it. The favorite was marked as other and when I went back later that day, my Wi-Fi didn't turn on. It wasn't until I set that Starbucks as work, did I get it to work. Which brings me to my next point.

Those of you who are having success with Geofencing (at least as far as Wi-Fi turning on automatically), what kind of phone are you using. I am using a Lumia Icon on VZW in Hawaii (Oahu). Now that I've seen others who've had success with it, I am wondering why I am not. Is it WP8.1, is it my phone, is it my carrier, is it my location, or is it any combination of these factors? Right now, I've only had success with favorites marked as work and home.

I will try again today. I added a restaurant to my favorites using Cortana and when we leave, I will turn my Wi-Fi off, with it set to turn on near my favorites.

And right now, I could care less if there is Wi-Fi in those places. I just want it to turn Wi-Fi on automatically when I get near a favorite marked as other; just to see it work.

Edit - When I got to the restaurant, Wi-Fi didn't turn on. Since the location was in Waikiki, the map location according to Microsoft Maps was accurate. So I still think that (at least for me) it only works if it set to home or work.
    Last edited by Timothy Gernert; 05-11-2014 at 07:54 PM.
    05-11-2014 01:04 PM
    Nice to see MS finally listening to consumers. It's like Ballmer's exit has liberated things.
    05-11-2014 02:36 PM
    You can do that already. Just swipe right
    Dave Bhullar likes this.
    05-12-2014 01:33 AM
    You can't: It will delete all the notifications from the corresponding app. At least on my 8X ...
    ven07, b23h and Kacey Green like this.
    05-12-2014 03:10 AM
    You can't: It will delete all the notifications from the corresponding app. At least on my 8X ...
    You're right. It sucks. I want some of my notifs to remain there to check at a later time and strike out all the unnecessary ones.
    05-12-2014 04:41 AM
    Hey Talderon, I'm amazed with how much you guys have done and continue to do with Cortana.
    I was wondering if you have any tips or directions to point me in to get a job as a Windows Phone developer on MSFT?
    I ofc know, C#, XAML, C++/C, JS, xHTML/HTML, CSS, etc.

I would love if you can get me into contact with someone so I get a chance to show my CV(Resume), Thanks.
    Kind Regards Filiph Sandstrm.
    ven07 and Clint Finch like this.
    05-12-2014 06:18 AM
    I disagree....having it "tracked" in Cortana is enough. Do you have a Cortana tile pinned to the home screen? It will show the info when relevant and a simple tap gives you the info usually at the top of the feed.

I also don't want Cortana adding stuff to my default calendar as that is not my personal one....now, if there was an option when you select it to track to add to a particular calendar if you wanted? Maybe.
    Sorry it took a while to get back to this. With Cortana you can choose the calendar that she uses easily. What isn't that easy is to change the calendar once the event/reminder has been saved into one of them. That is a problem, I agree.

For my use, I would want to see Cortana reminders and tracking information (flights etc.) as events on one of the calendar (I use three of calendars right now). This way I can avoid booking conflicting events etc., for example in cases like this where the flights are not my personal flights and I wouldn't necessarily remember exact times of the day.
    05-12-2014 06:43 AM
    You're right. It sucks. I want some of my notifs to remain there to check at a later time and strike out all the unnecessary ones.
    Me too, in some cases. Let's hope this will be addressed in the final WP8.1 release!
    ven07 likes this.
    05-12-2014 07:39 AM
    So with the new Kinect-less Xbox One, is Cortana still coming?
    Moiz Mian likes this.
    05-13-2014 02:40 PM
    Let me tell you, it has been an INTENSE few weeks.

I updated the OP, but I wanted to put this here as well:

[NOTE]05/14/2014

Build 8.10.12382 has just been released to the Developer Preview audience!!!!

No feature releases but contains bug fixes, performance enhancements as well as work on the Battery Life issues.

I am waiting confirmation, but the Device Hangs on Wi-Fi should be fixed as well.[/NOTE]
    05-14-2014 05:10 PM
    No feature releases but contains bug fixes, performance enhancements as well as work on the Battery Life issues.
    Welcome back! Does this mean 'Cortana bug fixes', 'Cortana performance enhancements', and 'Cortana related battery life issues'? Or WP8.1 in general?
    05-14-2014 05:36 PM
    I am waiting confirmation, but the Device Hangs on Wi-Fi should be fixed as well.
    The Lumia Icon still takes a while to wake after pressing the power button when WiFi is on.
    05-14-2014 05:38 PM
    Yes MS did confirm that we will receive borders Actually I think Belfiore confirmed this during his reddit interview
    He didn't. The only place that mentioned adding borders was in that fake list some "insider" tweeted out. That was funny to read.

You really don't need borders since the notifications are spaced out enough. The empty space is the border.
    05-14-2014 10:55 PM
    He didn't. The only place that mentioned adding borders was in that fake list some "insider" tweeted out. That was funny to read.

You really don't need borders since the notifications are spaced out enough. The empty space is the border.
    You mean this??

wp_ss_20140515_0001.png
    ven07 and Kram Sacul like this.
    05-15-2014 08:27 AM
    Is that from a future release? That line is subtle but it's still so unnecessary because of the gap that's already there. Maybe it would serve a purpose if everything was crammed together but it's not.
    05-15-2014 10:30 AM
    Is that from a future release? That line is subtle but it's still so unnecessary because of the gap that's already there. Maybe it would serve a purpose if everything was crammed together but it's not.
    Yeah, that is running on my phone right now (internal beta). It will be released soon. It's a server side function, so no update needed on the phone side which will keep it from being held up by the update schedule.

I would say that a good 80%+ of the future updates coming for Cortana will be server side since that is where almost everything Cortana related lives. So you will start seeing things enabled without fanfare and things happening in the background that just appear (notice how Cortana speaks better?). That is one of the great things about Cortana vs. Siri/Google Now. With it being so offloaded from the device, things can just happen without the need to make you go through an install. :D

Technology is great!!! :D
    05-15-2014 10:42 AM
    Is everything that Cortana says server side or is her old Tell Me voice from the OS? I think a lot of people are looking forward to hearing Cortana say everything with Jen Taylor's voice (if that's the plan). Right now it's pretty jarring to hear two different voices read things.
    TruPlaya187 likes this.
    05-15-2014 10:56 AM
1,060 ... 56789 ...