Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Here are two things I'd like to see from Cortana:
1. better live tile. Currently, it is either a Cortana icon or one information from my interest. More info could be displayed next to the Cortana icon, time and weather for example. The other side of the live tile also could have more information instead of just one news headline.
2. list function. For example, a shopping list I could add items to over time. On Monday, I could ask Cortana to remind me to buy some milk from Costco. On Thursday, I could ask it to remind me to buy some pasta. Then when I go to the store on Saturday, It would pop up the shopping list for me. The same could apply to to-do list, people reminder...

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
For the GeoFencing, will we be able to specify an intersection, instead of a specific address? For example I would like to be able to set a reminder to stop at the grocery store for when I get off the freeway at a certain exit, or at least at an intersection a mile or two from the store.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
For the GeoFencing, will we be able to specify an intersection, instead of a specific address? For example I would like to be able to set a reminder to stop at the grocery store for when I get off the freeway at a certain exit, or at least at an intersection a mile or two from the store.

You can do this now actually. Try this tip:

I was in the same boat, I couldn't manually add the location I'm at, but I figured out a way without manually typing in GPS coordinates.

1. Search in Cortana "where am I" if you're near the location or for something else that'll produce a map for the area you want to mark. Note this is not a search in the "Places" part of the notebook, but in Cortana's general search.
2. Click on the map in the search results, opening a full map view.
3. Move the map to wherever you want a new place and hold your finger over that location. A black pin with the general description should show up.
4. Click on the new pin.
5. At the bottom of this page, click the Star+ symbol to add this location to Cortana's places.

Be sure to give it a nickname you will remember and just tell Cortana "Remind me to stop at the store when I get too ,nickname of the pin>" and when you get there, poof, reminder. :D

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I now have the location and reminder set. Will see how well this works tonight. I must have been too impatient, and was not holding my finger on the map location. I have gotten too used to HERE Maps where a single tap on a location brings up an information box.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I now have the location and reminder set. Will see how well this works tonight. I must have been too impatient, and was not holding my finger on the map location. I have gotten too used to HERE Maps where a single tap on a location brings up an information box.

Should work fine. Mine do. :D

acrodex

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another question, could I ask Cortana to temporary remember my location? For example, If I parked my car on street, I could tell Cortana that I parked my car here, and please remember this location. Then later I could ask it "Where did I park my car?", and it would show me the location and direction.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Another question, could I ask Cortana to temporary remember my location? For example, If I parked my car on street, I could tell Cortana that I parked my car here, and please remember this location. Then later I could ask it "Where did I park my car?", and it would show me the location and direction.

A less convinient but possible way is to ask her "where am I?" and then tap the map and verify if she picked up your location correctly, and add it to your places. That way you can tell her to "Take me to my car" where 'my car' ios the nickname you assigned to the place.

PS: Google Now yesterday allowed support for remembering parking locations. :/

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
You can do this now actually. Try this tip:

Be sure to give it a nickname you will remember and just tell Cortana "Remind me to stop at the store when I get too ,nickname of the pin>" and when you get there, poof, reminder. :D

How does this work if I have a location called "Work" I setup via Cortana? That location is not accurate enough and she never reminds me to go to work. Will this method override what Cortana has for my work location? Thanks for EVERYTHING you are doing Talderon!

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Here drive need you to use it first before it could save the parked location, right?

No, When you open HERE drive, under the map area, you slide up and you have the "Find my car" option. Press on it and you will get a message, click Ok. Then it will show you on the map and if you slide up again, you have more options like "add & see details" "share car location" "pin to start".

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
No, When you open HERE drive, under the map area, you slide up and you have the "Find my car" option. Press on it and you will get a message, click Ok. Then it will show you on the map and if you slide up again, you have more options like "add & see details" "share car location" "pin to start".

First I heard of this so I tried it out. How does it know where your car is if you didn't mark its location? I did what you said and it showed my car 2.1 mi away. (It's actually about 100yds away.). Glad I knew better.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Unfortunately when you first enable this, it literally states "Keep the HERE Drive app running as you park your car so the location is accurately saved". This is different than on Android: there the core location service takes care of this, meaning you don't have to have an app open for this to work. Much better. So my suggestion still is: please have Cortana do the same thing as Android: keep track of where I stop driving, and make that info available for retrieval via voice command.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
How does this work if I have a location called "Work" I setup via Cortana? That location is not accurate enough and she never reminds me to go to work. Will this method override what Cortana has for my work location? Thanks for EVERYTHING you are doing Talderon!

You could just use the "other" option to add a new work address (work B) lol, but if you tap on the "work" option itself then yes Cortana will replace the original address you had specified prior to this

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately when you first enable this, it literally states "Keep the HERE Drive app running as you park your car so the location is accurately saved". This is different than on Android: there the core location service takes care of this, meaning you don't have to have an app open for this to work. Much better. So my suggestion still is: please have Cortana do the same thing as Android: keep track of where I stop driving, and make that info available for retrieval via voice command.

Yeah that popup means that once your in a parking keep the app running until you parked your car and then to select the option Find my car...that's why. But if somebody knows where they are going but at that point, parks in a big parking lot for example, you can open the app, wait for it to find you precisely and then mark your car in the app. I know it's not the best scenario for now but at least Nokia enabled that in their app.

That's true that would be the perfect scenario with Cortana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett