Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

filfat

Banned
Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey Talderon, I'm amazed with how much you guys have done and continue to do with Cortana.
I was wondering if you have any tips or directions to point me in to get a job as a Windows Phone developer on MSFT?
I ofc know, C#, XAML, C++/C, JS, xHTML/HTML, CSS, etc.

I would love if you can get me into contact with someone so I get a chance to show my CV(Resume), Thanks.
Kind Regards Filiph Sandstr?m.

teemulehtinen

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I disagree....having it "tracked" in Cortana is enough. Do you have a Cortana tile pinned to the home screen? It will show the info when relevant and a simple tap gives you the info usually at the top of the feed.

I also don't want Cortana adding stuff to my default calendar as that is not my personal one....now, if there was an option when you select it to track to add to a particular calendar if you wanted? Maybe.

Sorry it took a while to get back to this. With Cortana you can choose the calendar that she uses easily. What isn't that easy is to change the calendar once the event/reminder has been saved into one of them. That is a problem, I agree.

For my use, I would want to see Cortana reminders and tracking information (flights etc.) as events on one of the calendar (I use three of calendars right now). This way I can avoid booking conflicting events etc., for example in cases like this where the flights are not my personal flights and I wouldn't necessarily remember exact times of the day.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Let me tell you, it has been an INTENSE few weeks.

I updated the OP, but I wanted to put this here as well:

[NOTE]05/14/2014

Build 8.10.12382 has just been released to the Developer Preview audience!!!!

No feature releases but contains bug fixes, performance enhancements as well as work on the Battery Life issues.

I am waiting confirmation, but the Device Hangs on Wi-Fi should be fixed as well.[/NOTE]

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
No feature releases but contains bug fixes, performance enhancements as well as work on the Battery Life issues.

Welcome back! Does this mean 'Cortana bug fixes', 'Cortana performance enhancements', and 'Cortana related battery life issues'? Or WP8.1 in general?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes MS did confirm that we will receive borders :smile: Actually I think Belfiore confirmed this during his reddit interview

He didn't. The only place that mentioned adding borders was in that fake list some "insider" tweeted out. That was funny to read.

You really don't need borders since the notifications are spaced out enough. The empty space is the border.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Is that from a future release? That line is subtle but it's still so unnecessary because of the gap that's already there. Maybe it would serve a purpose if everything was crammed together but it's not.

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is that from a future release? That line is subtle but it's still so unnecessary because of the gap that's already there. Maybe it would serve a purpose if everything was crammed together but it's not.

Yeah, that is running on my phone right now (internal beta). It will be released soon. It's a server side function, so no update needed on the phone side which will keep it from being held up by the update schedule.

I would say that a good 80%+ of the future updates coming for Cortana will be server side since that is where almost everything Cortana related lives. So you will start seeing things enabled without fanfare and things happening in the background that just appear (notice how Cortana speaks better?). That is one of the great things about Cortana vs. Siri/Google Now. With it being so offloaded from the device, things can just happen without the need to make you go through an install. :D

Technology is great!!! :D

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Is everything that Cortana says server side or is her old Tell Me voice from the OS? I think a lot of people are looking forward to hearing Cortana say everything with Jen Taylor's voice (if that's the plan). Right now it's pretty jarring to hear two different voices read things.

Thomas Jordan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I like that updates are server side. So they can be pushed out more often. But what if my internet connection is down won't that make Cortana useless until I get back online.

WP 8.1 I LUV U

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is everything that Cortana says server side or is her old Tell Me voice from the OS? I think a lot of people are looking forward to hearing Cortana say everything with Jen Taylor's voice (if that's the plan). Right now it's pretty jarring to hear two different voices read things.

Yes, Jen Taylor is more than willing to work with us on making Cortana better and is a trooper when it comes to doing things right. As a special side note, we are working with her on expanding Cortana's Chit-Chat functionality as well!

I like that updates are server side. So they can be pushed out more often. But what if my internet connection is down won't that make Cortana useless until I get back online.

WP 8.1 I LUV U

Yeah, Cortana is pretty much useless without internet. You can try and go into Airplane Mode and see what you can do with her, but you will find that most of her brain is missing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos