Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

Talderon this vide has some cool features also. The Ability to reply to a notification/ incoming txt on the Home screen and the Windows 8 style organizing of apps in the App list screen. I was really hoping for these features in 8.1.

MarkBr20

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Talderon, are there any plans to record cortana's voice in Portuguese from Portugal? I know that Portuguese from brazil already exists but, unfortunately, they aren't the same thing!

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Do you really need those things? If you use an app often enough pin it to the Start screen. Opening messaging isn't that hard either.

We have Action Center+Notifications which can be accessed at any time. That alone is more useful than anything in that video.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you really need those things? If you use an app often enough pin it to the Start screen. Opening messaging isn't that hard either.

We have Action Center+Notifications which can be accessed at any time. That alone is more useful than anything in that video.
What a ******

Actionable notifications is the best idea i ever heard, opening the app every time to reply is ******* annoying

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Really? I guess we're not all mature here.

If you think it's the greatest thing ever create a feature suggestion on uservoice or vote for it if it's already there. I'm sure you'll get a lot of support. Good luck.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Really? I guess we're not all mature here.

If you think it's the greatest thing ever create a feature suggestion on uservoice or vote for it if it's already there. I'm sure you'll get a lot of support. Good luck.

There's already one created with a video similar to the one I posted and it got a lot of votes in fact that video was posted several time over in uservoice. So just because you don't like it doesn't mean every body has to cater to you. My thinking is, if you like it, ask for it. If I don't like it, I wont use it, and I wont stop you from trying to get it. WP is not an OS just for you but for the masses so stop being selfish.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I have alot of apps pinned to start screen because I like a lot apps out there. And I wouldn't ask for something that wouldn't be useful to me or something I know wouldn't be useful for someone. And opening messaging takes 2-3 clicks. It might not seem like much till its reduced to one.

Yes we have action center+ Notifications now but MS will make changes and improvements to them without me even asking. It's not like they're perfect. Nothing is ever perfect. Minor improvements could be the difference between success and failure for WP. Making life easier for the user is always a good thing.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
There's already one created with a video similar to the one I posted and it got a lot of votes in fact that video was posted several time over in uservoice. So just because you don't like it doesn't mean every body has to cater to you. My thinking is, if you like it, ask for it. If I don't like it, I wont use it, and I wont stop you from trying to get it. WP is not an OS just for you but for the masses so stop being selfish.

You do know this is a message board, right? I have an opinion, you have an opinion, he has an opinion. It's great to discus this stuff. Never said anything about MS has to cater to me or whatever nonsense. I just don't care for your video that much. That's all. Have a nice day.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
What a ******

Actionable notifications is the best idea i ever heard, opening the app every time to reply is ******* annoying

What does it do if there are multiple notifications, especially for different apps? Does it just give you the actionable view for the most recent one, one at a time? What if I have a few emails and some texts from a couple different people, how would it handle all of that? I think these concepts are nice and easy if we just look at a single notification and keep interaction to the most basic possible level but we know it's not always that simple. Eventually it becomes complex enough in its quest to handle all possible situations that such actionable notifications basically duplicate the interaction you'd have to do with the program you're trying to avoid. The current notification system is simple and clean and shows you notifications from multiple people/apps at once and it allows you to choose how to address them in the apps that were built to handle them.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
What does it do if there are multiple notifications, especially for different apps? Does it just give you the actionable view for the most recent one, one at a time? What if I have a few emails and some texts from a couple different people, how would it handle all of that? I think these concepts are nice and easy if we just look at a single notification and keep interaction to the most basic possible level but we know it's not always that simple. Eventually it becomes complex enough in its quest to handle all possible situations that such actionable notifications basically duplicate the interaction you'd have to do with the program you're trying to avoid. The current notification system is simple and clean and shows you notifications from multiple people/apps at once and it allows you to choose how to address them in the apps that were built to handle them.

I dont think it's complicated...i mean how did multiple toast notifications show up before 8.1? One at a time... But in any case, I imagine this will work for apps that are currently showing a toast notification. When you see a toast show up, you can then instantly respond to it. If you let the toast sit for a while, then it will act like the current system and dissapear into the notification center. From where you have to go to the app and respond.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Talderon! Come and check out the cool ideas on this page! Both videos were made by fanboys to give Microsoft ideas for 8.1 :) I know you may not have any say, but maybe show these to the responsible party?They're not patented ideas! haha

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I dont think it's complicated...i mean how did multiple toast notifications show up before 8.1? One at a time... But in any case, I imagine this will work for apps that are currently showing a toast notification. When you see a toast show up, you can then instantly respond to it. If you let the toast sit for a while, then it will act like the current system and dissapear into the notification center. From where you have to go to the app and respond.
That makes more sense, it only being actionable if it's a currently "active" toast notification. I wonder though by the time you display the keyboard and an input box for the message if you'd be better off just going full screen and keeping everything consistent. How about this... rather than building in a new active notification system with popup text input areas and the like what if when you open an "active" toast notification for something like SMS or email it takes you to the normal app for that item. Then, since you entered that app from a toast notification when you send your reply it resumes the app you were in when you received the toast notification. That would solve the desire of people not to have to open a new app, then return to their previous app manually and it would do so without having to add a completely new interface for replying to messages? Everything would remain totally consistent with what people are used to right now and the only programming change needed would be for the OS to recognize that you selected an active toast notification and it needs to kick you back into your previous program when you finish sending your message.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
That makes more sense, it only being actionable if it's a currently "active" toast notification. I wonder though by the time you display the keyboard and an input box for the message if you'd be better off just going full screen and keeping everything consistent. How about this... rather than building in a new active notification system with popup text input areas and the like what if when you open an "active" toast notification for something like SMS or email it takes you to the normal app for that item. Then, since you entered that app from a toast notification when you send your reply it resumes the app you were in when you received the toast notification. That would solve the desire of people not to have to open a new app, then return to their previous app manually and it would do so without having to add a completely new interface for replying to messages? Everything would remain totally consistent with what people are used to right now and the only programming change needed would be for the OS to recognize that you selected an active toast notification and it needs to kick you back into your previous program when you finish sending your message.

I think in the end it's easier to just hit the back button to get back where you were. It would probably confuse and irritate a lot of people to have the messaging app suddenly close after sending a message.

Still not sold on actionable notifications. Interactive live tiles though...

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I think in the end it's easier to just hit the back button to get back where you were. It would probably confuse and irritate a lot of people to have the messaging app suddenly close after sending a message.

I agree, but I'd rather see that than some popup that would look more at home on a Samsung Android phone.

Donny James

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site

I figure just ask for a certain feature and let the WP team decide the best way to implement it. To me it seems simple enough to extend the notification with a reply text box and bring up the keyboard, type your reply hit send and everything goes away. I mainly wanted this for text messages, emails usually require a longer reply message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb