Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Talderon! This is good to hear.

I had one question - when you say cortana not reaching everyone" do you mean the periodic updates to cortana, or cortana itself. Thanks again!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
[INFO]Cortana for EN-GB (Great Brittan) and ZH-CN (Chinese (PRC)) will be released in the coming weeks (shooting for mid-July at the latest). Keep on the lookout![/INFO]

As for the Cortana release not reaching everyone. This will NOT be the norm for releases. This one is taking a while to roll out due to the sizable infrastructure changes that were made and some issues that were encountered in some area's for various reasons. We have had to pause the rollout a few times to make sure it's all good. Future regular rollouts (the twice a month schedule) will not be an involved.

Please have some patience while things are being worked out to ensure that everyone is getting a great experience.

p.s. Infrastructure changes/updates are for coming features which I will post on as soon as I am able. :D I promise!!!

Talderon - I assume MS is hiring voice actresses in different countries for localization?

gahbmwm5

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Open Cortana, and search for "News about cars"

When Cortana runs the Bing search, scroll down until you see "Update me on this news topic". Tap that, and it's added to your interests :)
Hmmm, interesting as I have the latest update, but do not have this feature "Update me on this new topic, or the Quiz" yet...

EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This worked.......apologies...I just did not look close enough........:)

Last edited:

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Interesting but does not seem to work for every topic. I tried it successfully for the "News on cars" example. But its not working on "News on Austrian Army" for example.

Mattman86

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
The only thing bothering me about Cortana right now is that she can't tell me what time it is. Seems like a simple feature.

Does that bother anybody else at all?

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
[INFO]Cortana for EN-GB (Great Brittan) and ZH-CN (Chinese (PRC)) will be released in the coming weeks (shooting for mid-July at the latest). Keep on the lookout![/INFO]

As for the Cortana release not reaching everyone. This will NOT be the norm for releases. This one is taking a while to roll out due to the sizable infrastructure changes that were made and some issues that were encountered in some area's for various reasons. We have had to pause the rollout a few times to make sure it's all good. Future regular rollouts (the twice a month schedule) will not be an involved.

Please have some patience while things are being worked out to ensure that everyone is getting a great experience.

p.s. Infrastructure changes/updates are for coming features which I will post on as soon as I am able. :D I promise!!!

Don't be angry to me 😶😶 any approximate time for India release ? ..feels very much excited of wp8.1,& cortana...

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
bothers me too!

I don't get that. I could understand it, if you were asking for the time of a location in a different time zone than yours. But why would you unlock your phone, launch Cortana and then ask her about the time when you could've already seen it on the glance screen (if available), or at least the lockscreen and even on the top bar of your phone? Doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't get that. I could understand it, if you were asking for the time of a location in a different time zone than yours. But why would you unlock your phone, launch Cortana and then ask her about the time when you could've already seen it on the glance screen (if available), or at least the lockscreen and even on the top bar of your phone? Doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Suppose Cortana is implemented in the cars, and is voice activated (e.g. 'Ok, Google'), and the driver is asking the time.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Suppose Cortana is implemented in the cars, and is voice activated (e.g. 'Ok, Google'), and the driver is asking the time.

I haven't seen a single car without a clock in decades. oO But that aside, woudn't you still have to unlock your device first? Which means it is already showing the time anyways? The only time my device is turned in permantently when driving, is when I'm using voice navigation. And in this case the time is perfectly visible anyways. And even if I couldn't read it properly because of its rather small size, I'd quickly hit the power button, to see a larger variant. Definitely less effort than launching Cortana and asking her.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

The argument to that would be that i don't think i have ever seen a car that doesn't have a clock on either the dash or as part of the display for the radio. So again why would you need to do that when you can glance briefly at either instead of spending several misheard attempts with Cortana in your car

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
I haven't seen a single car without a clock in decades. oO But that aside, woudn't you still have to unlock your device first? Which means it is already showing the time anyways? The only time my device is turned in permantently when driving, is when I'm using voice navigation. And in this case the time is perfectly visible anyways. And even if I couldn't read it properly because of its rather small size, I'd quickly hit the power button, to see a larger variant. Definitely less effort than launching Cortana and asking her.

The argument to that would be that i don't think i have ever seen a car that doesn't have a clock on either the dash or as part of the display for the radio. So again why would you need to do that when you can glance briefly at either instead of spending several misheard attempts with Cortana in your car

How about watches then? There are a lot of people who wear watches (and have phones, of course), so I guess there is no big reason to have either a watch or a clock on the phone screen, since it's fine to use only one of them.
I don't think the time implementation in Cortana should be difficult, and I do think it might be helpful in certain cases, and I'm pretty sure it's not necessary to look for an absolute reason for everything.
P.S. I'm not driving.

Edit. I'm imagining how Android/iOS fans are screaming 'Cortana is such a crap, she cannot even tell the time lol, WP sux'

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
How about watches then? There are a lot of people who wear watches (and have phones, of course), so I guess there is no big reason to have either a watch or a clock on the phone screen, since it's fine to use only one of them.
I don't think the time implementation in Cortana should be difficult, and I do think it might be helpful in certain cases, and I'm pretty sure it's not necessary to look for an absolute reason for everything.
P.S. I'm not driving.

Edit. I'm imagining how Android/iOS fans are screaming 'Cortana is such a crap, she cannot even tell the time lol, WP sux'

Fanboys will always find something to mock about. Regardless if they're using WP, iOS or Android.
Anyways, Cortana is still in its early stages and even labeled beta for a reason. My take is that Microsoft is currently focussing on "important" features, to set her apart from her competitors rather than implementing features that don't have a high priority, e.g. telling the time.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Fanboys will always find something to mock about. Regardless if they're using WP, iOS or Android.
Anyways, Cortana is still in its early stages and even labeled beta for a reason. My take is that Microsoft is currently focussing on "important" features, to set her apart from her competitors rather than implementing features that don't have a high priority, e.g. telling the time.

True.
And still waiting for the latest Cortana update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon