Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Is this an oddity to Cortana or is this an 8.1 dp occurrence

Pin Cortana to start screen, move it to top of start page
Change settings back to Uk, Cortana is removed or more accurately disabled and unavailable
Change settings back to US Cortana becomes available, pin to start again, the action triggers the phone to go to where Cortana should be, bottom of start screen but in fact its not there, it is back at the top ??
Is that a bug or design ?

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Is this an oddity to Cortana or is this an 8.1 dp occurrence

Pin Cortana to start screen, move it to top of start page
Change settings back to Uk, Cortana is removed or more accurately disabled and unavailable
Change settings back to US Cortana becomes available, pin to start again, the action triggers the phone to go to where Cortana should be, bottom of start screen but in fact its not there, it is back at the top ??
Is that a bug or design ?

Yes, I've noticed that Cortana somehow "remembers" where it's tile was pinned to the start screen also.

Still interested in this "quiz" I keep hearing about... Haven't been able to invoke it though. Any ideas?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Talderon, Cortana isn't working very well for me with voice commands, seems to have a problem with my British accent and I live in the U.S., does it only recognize accents from the region the phone is set to, or has a harder time doing so? Will it be better once the service goes live in the UK and has those accents in the database? Thanks.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Is this where we supposed to leave feedback? If so, I'd like to have smaller font on Cortana Medium Tile. It seems that only 1/3 (or half if lucky) of the story title or traffic info is shown on a medium tile so I don't really get the point of glance-able information on this because the font is gigantic! Even bigger than what Data Sense live tile is showing. With Bing News live tile, even though the font is small it's still readable. Other than that, I've seen the tile bring up weather updates recently, so good work!

DeepyDarkness

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm still new here, so I'm not sure if this was asked before but in my 720 I don't seem to get a landscape notification or action center. Is this a limitation or is it something that's still not released?

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is a very interesting development, and can only be good for Windows Phone, but the only time I want to be speaking to my phone, is when there is another person on the end of the line.......

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Cortana is a very interesting development, and can only be good for Windows Phone, but the only time I want to be speaking to my phone, is when there is another person on the end of the line.......

You can type requests into the box at the bottom if you don't want to speak to your phone :wink:

Anudeep Reddy

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Is this where we supposed to leave feedback? If so, I'd like to have smaller font on Cortana Medium Tile. It seems that only 1/3 (or half if lucky) of the story title or traffic info is shown on a medium tile so I don't really get the point of glance-able information on this because the font is gigantic! Even bigger than what Data Sense live tile is showing. With Bing News live tile, even though the font is small it's still readable. Other than that, I've seen the tile bring up weather updates recently, so good work!

You can go to cortana.uservoice.com to sound off, give feedback and suggest new features too!!

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1) I'd like the ability to activate Cortana by just performing a long-press of the search button instead of tap search and tap mic icons.
2) I'd like interactive notifications
​3) Cortana on all MS platforms NOW.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought: it could open a treasure trove of cool responses if users could ask Cortana how she's doing. It could be like a verbal analog of the Google doodle, if the Cortana team keeps a running list of relevant status responses.

She could say things like
- Exhausted, I've been fielding tons of questions on football this week, or
- I feel like I'm getting smarter (after system updates), or
- I'm feeling kind of sluggish today (in case of outages, slowdowns?), or
- Today, I learned to speak French (as regions are added), or
- Festive, today is my 1st birthday! (on anniversaries), or
- Cheerful. Today is the day Bill Gates was born!

The possibilities are endless, and it would make the experience even more personal, and it could be a nice way to introduce new capabilities or events to users.

Edit: added a UserVoice post in the chit-chat section.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Minor chit chat thing.... So I was driving someone else's car (long story) and I asked Cortana a simple question....and I got a bing search from it....I didn't want to pull my eyes from the road...

"What time is it ?" or even "what is today's date ?"

Both of these BASIC questions came back with a bing search.... Anyone agree this should be addressed ?

Yea, I know it's everywhere on the phone but, in cases like driving where I don't want to look at my phone, it should be able to answer this question.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't driven a car without a clock on the dash, but that is a different point.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I haven't driven a car without a clock on the dash, but that is a different point.

Sent from my Surface with Windows RT using Tapatalk

Yea, my car has a few clocks and I agree but, again, it was not my car...

But, I do think Cortana should be able to do basic things like that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs