Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSDigital

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd go for the blue version too, but then again... I'd go for any version :)
I know MS Research is also doing it, so it shouldn't be impossible at all.
Well, perhaps there's something about it we can't really know right now...

Monica_and_Eric.jpg

Are you working with them too?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Holy Moly!, I didn't realise this thread existed - bookmarked. To the team at MS keep up the great work guys! and thanks for keeping everyone posted Talderon!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
(Hope the thread visitors don't mind a little out-there dreaming about what could be next)

One thing that might be cool is giving Cortana facial expressions even when users are not actively interacting with her, and using that to prompt natural interaction. I think this is technically feasible:

Example: Cortana is rendered on the screen in low power mode (think 'glance screen') with no or little animation. If a user has indicated an interest in news, Cortana would track news items throughout the day and use related twitter posts to extract whether the news is sad, funny, or exciting. Then when the phone senses that the user picks it up, Cortana could look worried, or flash a smile, depending on the type of news. This would prompt natural conversation along the lines of 'what's so funny' or 'why are you smiling'. She could respond 'I just read that [insert funny news item from preferred sources]'. An extreme case that would surely stir up a lot of hype is if a particularly tragic event would cause the avatar to cry, but run that by the PR team before implementing. :)

What I like about this general idea is a) that it's using readily available tech, b) that as described does not cause a lot of battery drain, and c) that this would make her sort of a humanized version of the internet, providing information of interest to the user in a natural way, but (in this mode) only if the user asks.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
That account is using Facebook Beta. I have to check if that is different than regular FB, once I get a notification on the regular FB app.. >.>

Also keep in mind, I do not clear my notifications all that often (internal build of WP 8.x where I need to keep things there for testing things).

I have the Facebook Beta also but I never get a notification about "likes" but my live tile do update....

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
.. when a flight is detected, it would be cool if Cortana would preemtively download all relevant airport maps in reasonable detail, and show 'airport map' as one of the travel icons. That way during your flight you can already check how to run to the nearest Starbucks, or how to get to the rental cars.

Just noticed today that Cortana now adds a map icon between two flights with 'View Venue Map' as option. Nice! This takes you to the maps app, zoomed in on the airport. I didn't have a chance to check if it was available offline as well.

Ploydd

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping I wasn't being delusional but I think Cortana had a new animation tonight. I try and follow this closely so maybe I just missed it. Everyone else getting this or is it new?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140711_0001.png
    wp_ss_20140711_0001.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 26
  • wp_ss_20140711_0002.png
    wp_ss_20140711_0002.png
    97.7 KB · Views: 25

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I was hoping I wasn't being delusional but I think Cortana had a new animation tonight. I try and follow this closely so maybe I just missed it. Everyone else getting this or is it new?
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

Lucky you! It will never appear on mine due to where I am. Cortana doesn't know restaurants or POIs in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Talderon, do you know of plans to make the latest fetched travel info available offline? Sorely needed for while in the air, or for travelers that don't have a data connection in the country of arrival.

Even when traveling within the US, I would like to be able to look at the next flight or next airport terminal layout when in the air, but in airplane mode Cortana just says 'the internet and I are not talking right now'. Cute, and true, but it would be nice if she had at least short term memory! How about 'This is what the internet told me before we parted ways three hours ago' or something?

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Lucky you! It will never appear on mine due to where I am. Cortana doesn't know restaurants or POIs in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's like a nodding animation. appears everytime Cortana recommends something. I've seen it for weeks now.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Got the airplane symbol this morning since there was an update about my flight this morning. Cortana has always done a good job of giving me flight info, just hadn't seen the actual "plane" until today.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
What about a hands free ability to open Cortana? I know there is a lot of negative feedback about Google Now's "always on" ability, but being able to ask for things without having to open the Cortana app or hold down the search key would be great. Especially driving, When my Android phone is plugged into my car though headphone jack, i can simply say "Ok Google...what is traffic like up ahead?" without having to take my hands off the wheel. I can't wait to get my Icon, but that is something i am going to miss.

Keagan259

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
She needs to be able to do more things when my phone is locked.i ask her to play my music but I need to unlock my phone first. The same when I ask for the weather

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
So, it seems as though everyone wnats full AI for free..... Not gonna happen!!
You have to be realistic about what can be achieved via a phone....

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
@Talderon: Could you please ping someone and ask to fix the Microsoft's 'Suggestion box' app, and to include the Cortana sections in the app? Right now it only shows only WP8 specific requests.

Once it works, maybe advertise it on the uservoice pages as well, I had no idea this existed, only found it when searching for a uservoice app.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Is there a "listening on standby" feature?

When I am driving, I want to be able to access Cortana without having to physically handle my phone.

For example, when I am driving and I want to find a gas station, I don't want to pull over to ask Cortana to find me a gas station.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6