Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesleyBPeres

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Some chance to the first page get an update? Sorry, I saw this page some months ago and the updates was on the first page, now its the same as the last time I saw =/
TY =)

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What about a hands free ability to open Cortana? I know there is a lot of negative feedback about Google Now's "always on" ability, but being able to ask for things without having to open the Cortana app or hold down the search key would be great. Especially driving, When my Android phone is plugged into my car though headphone jack, i can simply say "Ok Google...what is traffic like up ahead?" without having to take my hands off the wheel. I can't wait to get my Icon, but that is something i am going to miss.
It's the second most requested feature, I'm sure MS have noticed.

Edit: and the third as well..
Edit2: hey, they made more categories on uservoice. Great!
Is there a "listening on standby" feature?

When I am driving, I want to be able to access Cortana without having to physically handle my phone.

For example, when I am driving and I want to find a gas station, I don't want to pull over to ask Cortana to find me a gas station.

Hey all, this feature, I guess, also has a hardware dependency, but I think we may have a workaround. I do know that with my BT headset, I press and hold the call/end button and Cortana voice comes up for me and works flawlessly, but since I only have one BT headset, I can only test this one model.

This is what I have: Amazon.com: LG Electronics Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Some chance to the first page get an update? Sorry, I saw this page some months ago and the updates was on the first page, now its the same as the last time I saw =/
TY =)

Yeah, I know I have been slacking on the first page, things got busy fast and has not stopped. I will see what I can do to get some updates up there. :D

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
@Talderon: Could you please ping someone and ask to fix the Microsoft's 'Suggestion box' app, and to include the Cortana sections in the app? Right now it only shows only WP8 specific requests.

Probably because Cortana his its own dedicated uservoice site Cortana Feedback

My points: a) make the app work (it's broken) and b) make it include that uservoice section. You've got users that went far enough to install a feedback app, and then you leave it broken and complete. That just seems halfhearted.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey all, this feature, I guess, also has a hardware dependency, but I think we may have a workaround. I do know that with my BT headset, I press and hold the call/end button and Cortana voice comes up for me and works flawlessly, but since I only have one BT headset, I can only test this one model.

This is what I have: Amazon.com: LG Electronics Tone+ HBS-730 Bluetooth Headset - Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Yeah, I know I have been slacking on the first page, things got busy fast and has not stopped. I will see what I can do to get some updates up there. :D

Since there is a hardware dependency, this option could be enabled only when the phone is charging. Then if the phone is charging at night, when you wake up even before you open your eyes, you could ask Cortana what's your daily glance today or what's the weather..etc.

Also while driving, I think that a lot of people do charge their phone in the car, Cortana would be listening and we could really have an interaction hands-free.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Since there is a hardware dependency, this option could be enabled only when the phone is charging. Then if the phone is charging at night, when you wake up even before you open your eyes, you could ask Cortana what's your daily glance today or what's the weather..etc.

Also while driving, I think that a lot of people do charge their phone in the car, Cortana would be listening and we could really have an interaction hands-free.

Well, Windows Phone 8.1 has a new Driving Mode feature. Cortana should start listening as soon as soon as Driving Mode is switched on.

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I do know that with my BT headset, I press and hold the call/end button and Cortana voice comes up for me and works flawlessly, but since I only have one BT headset, I can only test this one model.
Is it just me, or does Cortana actually unlock + turn on the screen (even when in your pocket!) when doing this and does not turn off/lock it again?

I first noticed while on the bike skipping music tracks via the headphones mic-button, which also activates cortana, the phone was always magically unlocked and doing weird stuff in my pocket...

Last edited:

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Is it just me, or does Cortana actually unlock + turn on the screen (even when in your pocket!) when doing this and does not turn off/lock it again?

I first noticed while on the bike skipping music tracks via the headphones mic-button, which also activates cortana, the phone was always magically unlocked and doing weird stuff in my pocket...

Same here on my motorcycle. In fact, I'll find her going a bit spastic sometimes (Most likely from thinking the screen is interacted with). Glad that's not just me. Though with both my Plantronics Legend (Normal BT), and my Cardo G9 (Motorcycle BT unit) allow me to access Cortana.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
(Hope the thread visitors don't mind a little out-there dreaming about what could be next)

One thing that might be cool is giving Cortana facial expressions even when users are not actively interacting with her, and using that to prompt natural interaction. I think this is technically feasible:

Example: Cortana is rendered on the screen in low power mode (think 'glance screen') with no or little animation. If a user has indicated an interest in news, Cortana would track news items throughout the day and use related twitter posts to extract whether the news is sad, funny, or exciting. Then when the phone senses that the user picks it up, Cortana could look worried, or flash a smile, depending on the type of news. This would prompt natural conversation along the lines of 'what's so funny' or 'why are you smiling'. She could respond 'I just read that [insert funny news item from preferred sources]'. An extreme case that would surely stir up a lot of hype is if a particularly tragic event would cause the avatar to cry, but run that by the PR team before implementing. :)

What I like about this general idea is a) that it's using readily available tech, b) that as described does not cause a lot of battery drain, and c) that this would make her sort of a humanized version of the internet, providing information of interest to the user in a natural way, but (in this mode) only if the user asks.

I think after reading this post, I really really want to have an option to have slow scrolling Cortana news feed on my glance screen!
With always listening Cortana in future, we could just say "Cortana, let me glance sports" and glance screen updates to sports news.
Say "Cortana, let me glance appointments" and glance screen updates to calendar day view.
Say "Cortana, let me glance Twitter" and glance screen slowly scrolls through recent 50 tweets in the stream.
Say "Cortana, let me glance emails" and glance screen scrolls through first 10 unread emails...

This would be hands-free way to use Cortana with minimal use of battery! Of course, when you haven't talked to her for a few hours, you see a sad, awaiting face of Cortana and may be slow blinking texts saying "Chief...I need you"

Maybe shower some votes if you like this?

Locochat25

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, anyone know if cortana comes in the new cyan upgrade in Australia? I installed the DP 8.1 in my lumia 1320 but cortana is not installed. Thanks

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, anyone know if cortana comes in the new cyan upgrade in Australia? I installed the DP 8.1 in my lumia 1320 but cortana is not installed. Thanks

Cortana is only available to you if you change the region/language of your phone to English US. We don't know at this point when Cortana will be released outside of the US - could be this year, could be next year, maybe even 2016.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The flight info has been spot on.... especially love it when I'm actually in the air and can see the updates.

wp_ss_20140715_0001.png

wp_ss_20140715_0002.png

20 extra minutes on my layover in Minneapolis? Hello Chick-Fil-A for lunch!

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
If you're connected to the plane's WiFi, why would you need to know status info? You're ON the plane...

Because... how would I know when the plane is scheduled to land? I'm not that good at telling how far away I am from 30,000 feet up. The pilot only updates you when they are basically ready to land.

I'm sure the flight info stuff is actually more helpful for those picking people up from the airport or getting them there, but I never do that... just my flights on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12