Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSDigital

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Allright :)
How many European countries are we talking about? Like... 1? 5? 10?? :p
I know, voice recognition is something really hard, but we've come a long way on that!
Once upon a time (like, 15 years ago) it took me about 20mins to turn off my Windows PC by using a voice recognition software! And all I needed was like, 5 mouse clicks :)

murderman

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Nope, I was kidding. :p

Ok, I was kidding about kidding. India and Europe are looking good. I have been watching some of the testing and the real big holdback is the voice recognition.

There are some shifts coming ahead on how Cortana is going to be released to markets which should allow us to shorten the timelines, but there may be some sacrifices needed in order to do that, so things are being weighed and balanced to see what is best for everyone.
Well that's some good news for the other side of the world ..hopefully we in the us get it later on :cool: idk how I'm this patience - all i know is I'm happy for the other side of the world :confused: :smile:

icenote

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
For some reason, I lost some of the stuff that Cortana could do. For instance, when you ask her silly questions, she used to give witty replies.. not anymore.

Also, I'm not getting weather weekly forecasts or traffic updates.

And I'm not getting this events thing that is announced that everyone else is getting.

Anyone else having these issues?

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
For some reason, I lost some of the stuff that Cortana could do. For instance, when you ask her silly questions, she used to give witty replies.. not anymore.

Also, I'm not getting weather weekly forecasts or traffic updates.

And I'm not getting this events thing that is announced that everyone else is getting.

Anyone else having these issues?

Neo: What is it?
Trinity: A lack of witty replies is usually a glitch in Cortana. It happens when they change something.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Is there any news yet on whether Cortana UK will be able to manage Welsh and (more obscure) Scottish place names? I don't expect her to understand the Welsh language, but Cortana in Wales will be useless if she can't understand locations, particularly if she's going to be able to monitor train times and so on. Otherwise she's not a service for the UK, but only for England.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there any news yet on whether Cortana UK will be able to manage Welsh and (more obscure) Scottish place names? I don't expect her to understand the Welsh language, but Cortana in Wales will be useless if she can't understand locations, particularly if she's going to be able to monitor train times and so on. Otherwise she's not a service for the UK, but only for England.

Siri Fails Scottish, Welsh and Irish! | Siri Crazy

​I suspect it's gonna be crazy hard for tech to crack this.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
​I suspect it's gonna be crazy hard for tech to crack this.

Yup, I expect so. Many locations in Wales use sounds that don't exist in the English alphabet. Without producing an entirely Welsh Cortana (never going to happen), I have no idea how Microsoft will deal with this. But I'm an insatiable consumer, with zero knowledge of how this all works, so I'll just stamp my foot until it's sore and expect some Microsoft magic.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
If you do decide to take on the Welsh challenge, Microsoft, start with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. If Cortana can say that, the rest becomes a lot easier.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey Talderon, usually I keep a close eye on things that happen in the next month, what about you? 😇
Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro2_242 using Tapatalk

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
No need to pay, mate... just wait a generation or 2... :)

Tut, how many generations has it taken now? In a generation or two, the percentage of Welsh speakers is going to boom, as the middle aged folk who can't speak it are replaced by the kids and young adults who can.

But this isn't about speaking Welsh to Cortana, it's about speaking English to her in Wales, where we have locations from Llanelli to Llandudno that she can't understand.

Trevor Jones

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Tut, how many generations has it taken now? In a generation or two, the percentage of Welsh speakers is going to boom, as the middle aged folk who can't speak it are replaced by the kids and young adults who can.

But this isn't about speaking Welsh to Cortana, it's about speaking English to her in Wales, where we have locations from Llanelli to Llandudno that she can't understand.

Exactly.
Cortana, plot me a route to Beddgelert
Sorry, I can't find anywhere labelled bed-gel-et

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
@Talderon, do you by any chance know what the amazing thing barnaclues was hinting about, that is coming to Windows Phone? I'm not asking what it is, just if you know what he's hinting about?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If you do decide to take on the Welsh challenge, Microsoft, start with Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch. If Cortana can say that, the rest becomes a lot easier.

If the text to speech in Windows is anything to go by then Cortana is going to be an epic fail for Welsh place names, ironically I tried the same thing using Polish txt-to-speech in Windows and it pronounced Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch pretty much flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire