Cortana News (Coming from the inside) (OP being updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Talderon. Would it be possible to clarify the situation with Cortana here in the UK?

From what I see from @CortanaLive, Cortana will be rolled out to DP UK users in the next few days or so. How does this affect those of us who are currently running the consumer version of WP8.1/Cyan? Will we get Cortana as well, or do we need to enrol in DP to get her? And those people who have 625/925/1520 phones who have never had DP?

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Talderon. Would it be possible to clarify the situation with Cortana here in the UK?

From what I see from @CortanaLive, Cortana will be rolled out to DP UK users in the next few days or so. How does this affect those of us who are currently running the consumer version of WP8.1/Cyan? Will we get Cortana as well, or do we need to enrol in DP to get her? And those people who have 625/925/1520 phones who have never had DP?

One way or another, the ONLY way to get Cortana is to be running Windows Phone 8.1+. There is no way to get her on anything less. It does not matter if you are running released or DP, as long as the OS level is 8.1 or higher you will have Cortana. Cyan is firmware which has no bearing on the OS as those running the DP can attest too since almost all of us are on Black and 8.1 is running fine. Cortana has no dependency on the firmware version other than what is required by the OS level.

Ok, that was a long winded way of saying: Don't worry, Cortana will work. :D

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so UK Cortana will be for all 8.1 users regardless of whether they're running DP or the consumer build.

That's just plain awesome, thanks!

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so UK Cortana will be for all 8.1 users regardless of whether they're running DP or the consumer build.

That's just plain awesome, thanks!

Ok, there is a misconception about Developer Preview and Retail Release.

People consider (and I did this myself) the Developer Preview to be BETA version of the OS. This is not the case. When we get a Developer Preview, we are getting the FULL RTM BITS for the CORE OS. Apps for the new OPS version? That is another story, but for all practical purposes, the OS is finished at this point. The Developer Preview program was conceived to allow developers early access to the OS so they can start updating their apps or write new ones for the new OS version. Microsoft just didn't make it hard for non-developers to get access to the bits. I mean, who would turn down thousands/millions of willing testers out there that are willing to do it for free?

So, what you see is what you get. The only real difference with the Retail vs. Developer Preview release is the firmware update from Nokia that is going out side-by-side with the retail update. Even though the Lumia has a vast majority of the handsets out there for Windows Phone, we're not the only ones out there.

I hope this clears things up a little and help people understand what's going on. :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, yes. I've had no misconception, but the update servers are aware of what build of OS is in place (point being that Lumia DP users aren't currently getting an update, but consumer 8.0 users are). The misconception here has been further been promoted somewhat by @WindowsPhoneUK who mentioned that Cortana is coming to the UK:-

"@WindowsPhoneUK Barring an unforeseen issue, down to less than 2 weeks for the developer preview"

But that message may have been sent before general release of 8.1 to UK customer started....

That point aside, I'm delighted that Cortana doesn't care what colour shirt people are wearing as long as it's the right number...

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
You're lucky, I've told Cortana multiple times where I live and work and she still doesn't tell me when to leave or any traffic alerts.

LSDigital

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Harry Shum (Microsoft executive vice president of Technology and Research) announced a breakthrough in speech-recognition technology, achieved through use of Bing, that enables Cortana to recognize more than a billion words in multiple languages that often are mixed in a single utterance.

TaffyTuck

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I expect so. Many locations in Wales use sounds that don't exist in the English alphabet. Without producing an entirely Welsh Cortana (never going to happen), I have no idea how Microsoft will deal with this. But I'm an insatiable consumer, with zero knowledge of how this all works, so I'll just stamp my foot until it's sore and expect some Microsoft magic.
The same way we got to spell our place names to all the tech support and sales people. we will prob have to type. I mean Pontyclun is easy ... isn't it?

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
The same way we got to spell our place names to all the tech support and sales people. we will prob have to type. I mean Pontyclun is easy ... isn't it?

Imagine having to spell Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch for an overseas call centre, and you're paying silly amounts per minute for the privilege.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok, there is a misconception about Developer Preview and Retail Release.

People consider (and I did this myself) the Developer Preview to be BETA version of the OS. This is not the case. When we get a Developer Preview, we are getting the FULL RTM BITS for the CORE OS. Apps for the new OPS version? That is another story, but for all practical purposes, the OS is finished at this point. The Developer Preview program was conceived to allow developers early access to the OS so they can start updating their apps or write new ones for the new OS version. Microsoft just didn't make it hard for non-developers to get access to the bits. I mean, who would turn down thousands/millions of willing testers out there that are willing to do it for free?

So, what you see is what you get. The only real difference with the Retail vs. Developer Preview release is the firmware update from Nokia that is going out side-by-side with the retail update. Even though the Lumia has a vast majority of the handsets out there for Windows Phone, we're not the only ones out there.

I hope this clears things up a little and help people understand what's going on. :)
Thank you so much for validating what I've been saying all along. There's always the guy who wants to argue that, "No, it's a beta!"

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Talderon, how's cortana being enabled on UK?

On a UK set phone, she'd just pop in the app list? Show up as an app update? Notification? Cortana takes over control and introduces herself?
We all know how it goes when you change your region to US and she is available on reboot. But what happens in this case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786