Cortana & Genfencing (Remind me at location) + Auto Quiet Hours

Amrykid

Banned
Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. I am a long time reader, who has finally decided to post what I've discovered about Cortana's geofencing capabilities and how to set up Quiet Hours automatically. After seeing several threads where users would ask the same thing over and over again (and more annoyingly, read over the answer and continue to ask the question), I decided to create this thread with pictures.

Geofences / Remind me at *location*

First off, many of you have ran into issues with getting location-based reminders to work. I am specifically talking about if you have location services enabled and are in the US (although this may not be required). A few days ago, I told Cortana to remind me to "charge my phone" when I got home. Instead of waiting for Cortana to detect where I lived, I entered it manually via her "places" notebook section. I have also set a reminder to tell me to cram for a test when I got to school. I got to school and nothing happened. I got home and nothing happened as well. A couple of days passed. I realized that the global geofence monitoring service stopped running for some reason.

At this point, you probably do not know what I am talking about so I will post a screenshot (from my Lumia 521).
lrX3aKu.jpg

Do you see that on the bottom? "Not tracking geofences" was the cause of my issue.

The only thing I've tried that worked was restarting my phone (outside of my known geofences).

s9sV5Du.jpg

With the geofence monitoring service running, Cortana alerted me to study for class (hours after that class, but I was standing in that geofence again) and to charge my phone a few minutes after I got home.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't call it a fix. It just force-restarts the geofencing service. I really wish I knew why it stops tracking in the first place.

No problem. Actually worked this time when I got home from work, got a reminder to turn on WiFi as I had set it, though it was delayed for about 10 minutes.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
As soon as I turned off Locations, my Time based reminders came up, no sound to them though.
My Location reminders did not show.
Turned back on and tested again,,,

I asked to remind me of a test in 3 min
I then locked my phone and set it down..
there was no reminder.
Turned off Location and the reminder showed up

There is a problem with reminders, time and location based. I am in the US.

If you turn Location off,, she can not set a reminder.

However,, seeing that this is still Beta, there are going to be some glitches.
They will get ironed out I am sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb