11-27-2015 03:04 PM
82 1234
tools
    Give an option to do something X min before or after arriving at saved location. I don't like to get my work reminders as I am pulling up in my car. I'd prefer to get them 10-15 min after arrival, or have that be an option to add when setting up the reminder.
    04-28-2014 01:43 PM
    I want a random variety of Cortana alarms. So if I tell her to wake me up at 7am, she'll do it different ways. Maybe after the alarm goes on for a little while without being answered she'll stay talking. Or maybe a good morning song.
    04-28-2014 02:34 PM
    Definitely!
    Just hold down the magnifying glass...
    SpaceyO likes this.
    04-28-2014 02:50 PM
    Repeat reminders, macro functions, delayed actions and the ability to control sound and settings. Such as every time I arrive at work, mute my phone, turn wifi off, and send an SMS.
    Also the ability to recognise less exact or larger locations, such as a town and not a specific building or address.
    04-28-2014 02:55 PM
    (Realized that one of my comments in another thread really belonged in this one, so apologies for the duplicate post...​)

One of the things I really hope makes the "Coming Soon" list is more back and forth conversations, and unprompted interactions with Cortana. For instance, just using the functionality that she already has for text messages, you could do the following:

Cortana unprompted interactions (in a non-intrusive way):

If your notifications aren't silenced, on vibrate, or in quiet hours...

Cortana: "Hey, [name]? / Excuse me, [name] / etc."

• Cortana listens for "Yes?" "Yeah?" "What's up, Cortana?" etc.

(If she doesn't hear an affirmative response, conversation stops. This is the polite, "Are you available?" check to avoid bugging you when you're busy... similar to how a real assistant would check.)

Cortana: "You know that thing you asked me to remind you about earlier? Don't forget to call your wife about XYZ tonight."
    or "You'd asked me to track ABC subject for you. I found something interesting about it. Do you want to hear about it?"

• Cortana again goes into listening mode, looking for things like, "Yeah, read it" or the other similar prompts we get with text messages now.
    • If "Yes." Cortana reads subject of news item, update on plane flight, etc.
    • If "No." Cortana says "OK, it will be on my list for you when you check later."
    • If "Right, call my wife please." Cortana starts the call, or performs other app functions depending on the context of the reminder.

I think that would really impress the jaded iOS and Android crowds voice assistant crowds, and do more to make her feel like a real assistant. You can use the same functionality we already have for text messages, just include a very short, polite "Are you available?" prompt in front of other reminders and things she's tracking for you (and allow the feature to be turned off, or limited to only prompting every X number of hours for news/subject updates).

Cheers,

--Vel
    Alex Blast, Joe920 and Amrykid like this.
    04-28-2014 04:20 PM
    Consider defining a phone number that when dialed tells the OS to open Cortana. That way I could tell my hands-free in the car to 'call Cortana' followed by a voice command, without having to pull my phone out of my pocket.

Edit: for clarity, this would be a placeholder/fake phone number defined in the OS, e.g. 1-800-555-HALO that would be recognized by WP as a command to engage Cortana listening mode without actually calling the number through a carrier.
    Last edited by Joe920; 04-28-2014 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Just keepin' on clarifyin'
    04-28-2014 04:53 PM
    Set reminders for the start/end of appointments. "When my next appointments starts/ends, turn on/off quiet hours"
    Joe920 likes this.
    04-29-2014 04:46 AM
    Set reminders for the start/end of appointments. "When my next appointments starts/ends, turn on/off quiet hours"
    Cortana can already turn quiet hours on and off for calendar events that you're marked as "busy".
    04-29-2014 07:46 AM
    Unfortunately, a lot of the things I'd like to see Cortana do have more to do with OS and app integration which may or may not take longer to see come to fruition, but I'll name a few:

1. Syncing of Reminders with Outlook - I imagine Microsoft could just change the Reminders "folder" as a new calendar on Outlook.com, or just add them to My Calendar by default, instead of separating them.
    2. An option to change the default alarm. Not sure if this option would require retooling of the Alarms app or not.
    3. More sports teams, ie NCAA teams. Much like I'm sure many euros don't care about American pro sports teams. In a state like Nebraska, where we have no pro teams, my main interest are the Huskers. I suppose this should be fairly easy to do.
    4. Offline navigation support, and more offline functionality in general
    5. System settings integration.
    04-29-2014 11:20 AM
    04-29-2014 11:56 PM
    In the 'natural queries' section I suggested that Cortana could auto-detect where you parked by tracking your position and speed. Turns out Google just implemented this. So yes, please add this to Cortana's capabilities as well.
    Google Now Adds Parking Detection, Manages Your Custom Nicknames
    04-30-2014 09:08 PM
    In the 'natural queries' section I suggested that Cortana could auto-detect where you parked by tracking your position and speed. Turns out Google just implemented this. So yes, please add this to Cortana's capabilities as well.
    Google Now Adds Parking Detection, Manages Your Custom Nicknames
    That's been part of HERE Drive for about 6 months now.
    04-30-2014 09:09 PM
    That's been part of HERE Drive for about 6 months now.
    Link please? If so, being able to ask Cortana for that info would be good.
    04-30-2014 09:30 PM
    Link please? If so, being able to ask Cortana for that info would be good.
    Find my car - hands on with HERE Drive's new feature | Windows Phone Central

I don't think Cortana will be able to help you in this situation...at least not until (or unless) HERE Drive/Maps gets more (deeper) integration with Cortana.
    05-01-2014 05:31 AM
    Find my car - hands on with HERE Drive's new feature | Windows Phone Central

I don't think Cortana will be able to help you in this situation...at least not until (or unless) HERE Drive/Maps gets more (deeper) integration with Cortana.
    Thanks for the link. The big difference of Google's implementation with the one in Here drive is that it doesn't require you to use navigation. On Android it will remember where you stopped moving as long as you have location services enabled, which is exactly what I wanted Cortana to do (but no, I'm not getting an Android phone).
    05-01-2014 06:37 AM
    Support for email would be great, directions but contact name too! Not being able to navigate by contact name has driven me crazy since day one
    05-01-2014 06:47 AM
    How about if we could share preferences with selected users? Or certain preferences?

Like maybe I'd let all my friends know what my favorite games and songs are. Not like I'm explicitly fishing for a birthday gift... but let Cortana share it with their Cortana. So if my friend's birthday is coming up, and he has his Cortana sharing certain games preferences with my Cortanta... then my Cortana could make recommendations based on parameters I set.
    05-01-2014 06:15 PM
    I would like her to be able to open her own notes in One Note. I could create a note "authors I like" then when I finish a book I could say, "add Dr Suess to note authors I like" and she would add the name to my list.
    05-01-2014 09:23 PM
    I think I'm obsessed. Today I walked into the supermarket and I thought I saw this:

cortana.jpg
    05-02-2014 06:42 PM
    By the way, now that we have a uservoice section dedicated to all things Cortana, I guess it would be better to make suggestions there:

Cortana Feedback
    05-02-2014 07:34 PM
    Cortana can already turn quiet hours on and off for calendar events that you're marked as "busy".
    Thanks, but I gave a poor example. "When next my next appointment starts/ends, turn on/off airplane mode/send a text/turn on/off Bluetooth..."
    05-04-2014 11:53 AM
    I would like to be able to define street nicknames. When speaking, I almost always use these without thinking about it, and Cortana never knows what I am talking about.
    I wish I could:

Define Williamson Street as "Willy Street"
    Define East Washington Ave as "East Wash"
    05-05-2014 11:09 AM
    First of all, I LOVE Quiet Hours. It has already saved me on at least one occasion where a ringtone of a contact would have been embarrassing.
    Second, I LOVE how it automatically kicks in when I am marked Busy for a meeting.

That being said, I had setup a reminder via Cortana to remind me of something for a specific meeting. She confirmed it just fine when I made the reminder. When I had the meeting, Quiet Hours had kicked in and it prevented Cortana from reminding me. She reminded as soon as the meeting was over and I had forgotten to bring it up. Oh well, lesson learned.

So my question is, how do I setup a reminder to remind me of something for a meeting when the meeting will be flagged Quiet Hours? Thanks!
    05-05-2014 11:32 AM
    I would like to give phonetic hints to help Cortana pronounce names in my contacts.
    Alex Blast likes this.
    05-05-2014 11:49 AM
    I want to ask Cortana to restrict searches to a specific time frame.

"NBA 2k14 locker codes within the last two weeks"
    05-07-2014 03:21 AM
82 1234