Does Cortana currently track packages?

lunged

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I ordered something from Amazon today and was hopeful that Cortana would pick up the tracking info from the email. She didn't. I copied all the tracking info from the Fedex website and email myself on a different account. She still didn't figure it out. I tried telling her to track a package for me... Nothing. I thought this was one of the touted features, right behind flight tracking. Am I wrong? Is this part just not working yet, or has it worked for anyone on here? Thanks.

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't think they ever told she would track a package. Flights can be tracked because she can just search them up on bing, but not so with packages YET. I do hope they add it in the future though.

herbertsnow

Banned
Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I ordered something from Amazon today and was hopeful that Cortana would pick up the tracking info from the email. She didn't. I copied all the tracking info from the Fedex website and email myself on a different account. She still didn't figure it out. I tried telling her to track a package for me... Nothing. I thought this was one of the touted features, right behind flight tracking. Am I wrong? Is this part just not working yet, or has it worked for anyone on here? Thanks.

Amazon doesn't even put the tracking number in the email anymore. I had UPS email the tracking number hoping Cortana would track it, but it didn't work. I kind of did remember hearing at Build that Contana would track packages. I know I'm not crazy.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Package tracking is one of the many things on the "Potentials" list. While Cortana may not support that now, I'm sure we can expect things like this in the future. Keep the ideas going!

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I hope they add this!! I miss this so bad from Google now. It would just know I was getting packages by tracking my emails and notify me when they ship and arrived. Please add this MS!!

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Why not just install PackageTracker (w/o space) even trial version work perfect. I use it always when shop online

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I currently have package tracker installed. And it is great and all But why not have the perfect assistant to do it for us? I could sit here all day and say why not use (insert app) to do what Cortana can not. But i won't. I want her to do it all!!

anseld1986

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Another option is to petition the developers of apps whose features you want to see incorporated into Cortana to use the Cortana APIs to integrate with her. In another thread, Talderon said "you have to remember that with the Cortana API, Dev's can do MANY of the Cortana features people are wanting." - rather than only making requests of Microsoft, we should also be making requests of developers of apps like PackageTracker to get them to allow us to use Cortana to interface with their apps. The developer's email address is: packagetracker@hotmail.de, and I'd bet that the more of us whom contact them requesting Cortana integration, the more likely it is to happen. Plus, we'll get new features with Cortana more quickly that way - if both Microsoft AND third-party developers are adding features to Cortana, she'll grow even faster and faster!

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Great thinking! I keep forgetting MS has an amazing setup now and devs can really work magic now. I think WP is really gonna take off soon and be more than I could hope for. It serves my needs right now!! WP WP WP WP WP!

TroyRiggins

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Actually, in the settings menu for Cortana there's a box for "Detect tracking info, such as flights, in emails on your phone." So apparently it's there, but i've had no luck getting it to do anything with it.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Another option is to petition the developers of apps whose features you want to see incorporated into Cortana to use the Cortana APIs to integrate with her. In another thread, Talderon said "you have to remember that with the Cortana API, Dev's can do MANY of the Cortana features people are wanting." - rather than only making requests of Microsoft, we should also be making requests of developers of apps like PackageTracker to get them to allow us to use Cortana to interface with their apps. The developer's email address is: packagetracker@hotmail.de, and I'd bet that the more of us whom contact them requesting Cortana integration, the more likely it is to happen. Plus, we'll get new features with Cortana more quickly that way - if both Microsoft AND third-party developers are adding features to Cortana, she'll grow even faster and faster!

The Cortana API appears to be internal at the moment, likely while they are refining Cortana, devs cannot write things like package trackers.

I was looking on the Bing website at the "Interests" section in the settings thinking that each "Interest" is really a Cortana backend app. You can see how different modules could be enabled in there.

I have to say that trust really comes into the spotlight if they publish an API and I'd almost prefer Microsoft to keep Cortana internal and not permit developers to have access to all the data Cortana has. I imagine they are a little conflicted in this area at the moment: on one hand they'd love devs to extend the platform, on the other the potential for abuse is massive...

Dune 74

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I have a found some what of a temporary solution for using the Cortana package tracking feature. Try saying things like UPS, USPS, Amazon.com, FedEx, etc. Once Cortana returns the results swipe screen to the right and you will see a list of messages with your package/purchase information. Note that this requires you to have already setup message notification services from the above company's to either your text messages or email. I would still like Cortana to verbally tell me this info, but will settle for this know. Please let me know if this helps by clicking thanks.

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
This was apparently being worked on when Talderon was here providing Cortana updates. I was hoping it would have been released by now but I guess the team is probably too busy trying to push Cortana out to other countries at the moment.

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If you enter the tracking # into Cortana, not only will she bring up the status, but she will ask you if you want to track it. Just enter the number in search and she will do the rest. I did this as recently as Monday.

539a4e416c87baeb9e9f8456233982db.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss