Using Cortana with Ford Sync

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I normally have my phone connected to my car (2013 Focus) via Bluetooth and Sync. I tried using Cortana yesterday while in the car forgetting about it being connected and noticed I couldn't get it to hear anything. What method is there, besides typing or tuning Bluetooth off, to talk to Cortana with it hooked up to Sync, if any?

Blackout3890

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I've had this issue as well with my car (2013 C-Max). I've found that turning the Bluetooth off then on again will fix this. You do have to wait a few extra seconds for it to enable Cortland to "listen" when connected.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
did you go to the Bluetooth settings and check the "connect in a different way" option

I haven't tried this yet. Do I need to check this for Sync? When I want to talk to Cortana, am I just selecting it on my phone, or do I need to hit the Sync paddle button on my steering wheel (I don't usually have time to play around and try everything, hence asking)?

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you updated your Sync to the most recent version? I have a '14 Fiesta ST, and it works great with mine.

My phone works as always with Sync. It's just Cortana that didn't work when I tried. I need to find some time to get in the car and play around with it and see if some of the suggestions work. It's not a huge thing, as what I primarily use Sync and the phone for is playing audio over Bluetooth and answering phone calls.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My phone works as always with Sync. It's just Cortana that didn't work when I tried. I need to find some time to get in the car and play around with it and see if some of the suggestions work. It's not a huge thing, as what I primarily use Sync and the phone for is playing audio over Bluetooth and answering phone calls.

I have a '13 Focus ST with SYNC (but not MFT) and she works but I notice that after hitting the Cortana button on my phone it takes a moment for SYNC to pick it up then you can talk to her. However, there is definitely a delay. Also, I have found no way to prompt Cortana from the car. You have to use the button on the phone. This is the same way with Siri. Neither of them are "integrated" into the SYNC system. Basically our cars are acting as big ol' bluetooth speakers.

That said, when I have her on and I get a text she and the SYNC work wonderfully together. I had a conversation via text the entire drive home without picking up the phone. I thought that was pretty cool.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Have you updated your Sync to the most recent version? I have a '14 Fiesta ST, and it works great with mine.

When you say it works great with yours are you able to access Cortana using buttons on your car and not touching the phone? If so, do you have regular SYNC or SYNC with MFT? Just curious, because I have a fully updated version of SYNC (according to syncmyride.com) but have not found a way to access Cortana from the car, only by picking up the phone.

By the way, ST's rock!!!

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hahahahaha! That was a good one JPDVM. I wish I could afford the Fiesta ST but in a different matter I can't get Sync to even send text messages from the in Car controls.

I have a first generation Sync in my car and Ford didn't update the system to allow that in WP8. I'm sure they wont move a finger for Cortana; even so my next car will be Ford.

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You do know you have to update sync manually right? It takes a USB drive with the file on it, Ford actually has a guide on their website showing how to do it

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Hahahahaha! That was a good one JPDVM. I wish I could afford the Fiesta ST but in a different matter I can't get Sync to even send text messages from the in Car controls.

I have a first generation Sync in my car and Ford didn't update the system to allow that in WP8. I'm sure they wont move a finger for Cortana; even so my next car will be Ford.

I can reply to texts with no problem. It syncs my music, places calls, and the nav integration is spectacular. I was using the nav over the weekend, and didn't even have to tell it to audio the nav, where before 8.1 I would. I tested to see if it can do a search with the voice controls, and that was a no.

I haven't tried originating a text, but then I don't usually do that when driving anyway.

On the lighter side, the STs are amazing and insanely fun. I smile every time I drive it. If you get the chance, look up the Ford ecoboost challenge and see if it is coming near you for the chance to drive one on a track.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even know about the ecoboost challenge. There isn't one near me, but I suggested the motorsports park near me. Hopefully enough people near here will suggest it.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I can't "initiate" a text from my SYNC but when I have bluetooth on Cortana will read aloud my incoming messages while I am driving. She then allows you to respond or ignore. It's pretty cool. Even before 8.1 the voice assistant would read the texts to you and allow you to respond via the SYNC.

Make sure under Cortana settings you scroll down to speech settings and then select either bluetooth only or bluetooth and headsets. Then you can have a buddy text you while you're in the car and see if it works.

Good luck. It's one of my favorite features of the phone.

chandy227

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I have '12 GT Mustang. I haven't updated my SYNC, but she works. She didn't work at first, and I didn't have time to bother, but after a soft reset i did later that day she started working next time I got in the car. You can't activate her from the car. You have to press and hold the search button and there's a delay, but she'll talk to you and do the normal commands.

btw is there any improvements to SYNC if I update. I know one thing mine doesn't do is show song information during Bluetooth Audio. Is that fixed in an update? Is it worth updating or does it help Windows Phone?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
priya8923