11-11-2015 12:54 PM
36 12
tools
    I normally have my phone connected to my car (2013 Focus) via Bluetooth and Sync. I tried using Cortana yesterday while in the car forgetting about it being connected and noticed I couldn't get it to hear anything. What method is there, besides typing or tuning Bluetooth off, to talk to Cortana with it hooked up to Sync, if any?
    04-18-2014 10:20 PM
    did you go to the Bluetooth settings and check the "connect in a different way" option
    04-18-2014 10:22 PM
    I have the same problem in my car. Hopefully this'll be fixed in an update.
    04-18-2014 10:34 PM
    I've had this issue as well with my car (2013 C-Max). I've found that turning the Bluetooth off then on again will fix this. You do have to wait a few extra seconds for it to enable Cortland to "listen" when connected.
    04-19-2014 01:50 AM
    did you go to the Bluetooth settings and check the "connect in a different way" option
    I haven't tried this yet. Do I need to check this for Sync? When I want to talk to Cortana, am I just selecting it on my phone, or do I need to hit the Sync paddle button on my steering wheel (I don't usually have time to play around and try everything, hence asking)?
    04-19-2014 03:11 PM
    try deleting your phone from sync and then re-add it
    04-19-2014 05:58 PM
    Have you updated your Sync to the most recent version? I have a '14 Fiesta ST, and it works great with mine.
    04-19-2014 06:17 PM
    Have you updated your Sync to the most recent version? I have a '14 Fiesta ST, and it works great with mine.
    My phone works as always with Sync. It's just Cortana that didn't work when I tried. I need to find some time to get in the car and play around with it and see if some of the suggestions work. It's not a huge thing, as what I primarily use Sync and the phone for is playing audio over Bluetooth and answering phone calls.
    04-20-2014 07:22 PM
    My phone works as always with Sync. It's just Cortana that didn't work when I tried. I need to find some time to get in the car and play around with it and see if some of the suggestions work. It's not a huge thing, as what I primarily use Sync and the phone for is playing audio over Bluetooth and answering phone calls.
    I have a '13 Focus ST with SYNC (but not MFT) and she works but I notice that after hitting the Cortana button on my phone it takes a moment for SYNC to pick it up then you can talk to her. However, there is definitely a delay. Also, I have found no way to prompt Cortana from the car. You have to use the button on the phone. This is the same way with Siri. Neither of them are "integrated" into the SYNC system. Basically our cars are acting as big ol' bluetooth speakers.

That said, when I have her on and I get a text she and the SYNC work wonderfully together. I had a conversation via text the entire drive home without picking up the phone. I thought that was pretty cool.
    04-21-2014 03:19 PM
    When you say it works great with yours are you able to access Cortana using buttons on your car and not touching the phone? If so, do you have regular SYNC or SYNC with MFT? Just curious, because I have a fully updated version of SYNC (according to syncmyride.com) but have not found a way to access Cortana from the car, only by picking up the phone.

By the way, ST's rock!!!
    04-21-2014 03:22 PM
    Hmm, I haven't explored the functionality that much. May have to try it. I have the MFT system. And the STs are awesome!
    04-21-2014 07:47 PM
    I have nothing to contribute other than I wish I could afford a focus ST....
    04-22-2014 09:01 AM
    Hahahahaha! That was a good one JPDVM. I wish I could afford the Fiesta ST but in a different matter I can't get Sync to even send text messages from the in Car controls.

I have a first generation Sync in my car and Ford didn't update the system to allow that in WP8. I'm sure they wont move a finger for Cortana; even so my next car will be Ford.
    04-22-2014 11:28 AM
    You do know you have to update sync manually right? It takes a USB drive with the file on it, Ford actually has a guide on their website showing how to do it
    04-22-2014 02:49 PM
    Hahahahaha! That was a good one JPDVM. I wish I could afford the Fiesta ST but in a different matter I can't get Sync to even send text messages from the in Car controls.

I have a first generation Sync in my car and Ford didn't update the system to allow that in WP8. I'm sure they wont move a finger for Cortana; even so my next car will be Ford.
    I can reply to texts with no problem. It syncs my music, places calls, and the nav integration is spectacular. I was using the nav over the weekend, and didn't even have to tell it to audio the nav, where before 8.1 I would. I tested to see if it can do a search with the voice controls, and that was a no.

I haven't tried originating a text, but then I don't usually do that when driving anyway.

On the lighter side, the STs are amazing and insanely fun. I smile every time I drive it. If you get the chance, look up the Ford ecoboost challenge and see if it is coming near you for the chance to drive one on a track.
    Zippier likes this.
    04-22-2014 07:13 PM
    I didn't even know about the ecoboost challenge. There isn't one near me, but I suggested the motorsports park near me. Hopefully enough people near here will suggest it.
    04-22-2014 07:48 PM
    If you have a bunch of car friends, get them to do it too. The suggestion and the challenge.
    04-22-2014 08:14 PM

I can't "initiate" a text from my SYNC but when I have bluetooth on Cortana will read aloud my incoming messages while I am driving. She then allows you to respond or ignore. It's pretty cool. Even before 8.1 the voice assistant would read the texts to you and allow you to respond via the SYNC.

Make sure under Cortana settings you scroll down to speech settings and then select either bluetooth only or bluetooth and headsets. Then you can have a buddy text you while you're in the car and see if it works.

Good luck. It's one of my favorite features of the phone.
    04-23-2014 11:27 AM
    I have '12 GT Mustang. I haven't updated my SYNC, but she works. She didn't work at first, and I didn't have time to bother, but after a soft reset i did later that day she started working next time I got in the car. You can't activate her from the car. You have to press and hold the search button and there's a delay, but she'll talk to you and do the normal commands.

btw is there any improvements to SYNC if I update. I know one thing mine doesn't do is show song information during Bluetooth Audio. Is that fixed in an update? Is it worth updating or does it help Windows Phone?
    04-23-2014 02:51 PM
    Mine gives me song titles and artists when playing from my phone. Not sure what other improvements there are.
    04-23-2014 07:18 PM
    Mine gives me song titles and artists when playing from my phone. Not sure what other improvements there are.
    Do you have the MFT? I just have regular Sync and I wish I could see song Artists and Titles. I did get a chance to play around with it more yesterday. This time it worked, but was initially disconcerting because when I activate her, Sync acts like I'm taking a call. I was like "WTF?" and ended it, but then realized that may be how I can communicate with my phone (I don't normally get texts while driving, so I've never seen that in action either). After a pause, she's available to hear me and properly respond over the speakers. First time I had tried this, she couldn't hear me. Don't know what changed.

Etyrnus, you say your music syncs with your car? I can only play music over Bluetooth, and as I mentioned, it doesn't show me any information.
    04-25-2014 05:06 AM
    I do have MFT, and by sync I meant more the Bluetooth playback. But it does show me artist and album info.
    04-25-2014 06:05 PM
    Yeah I don't have MFT either. Maybe I need to update my regular SYNC and song and artist information will work under BT Audio
    04-28-2014 09:36 AM
    You do know you have to update sync manually right? It takes a USB drive with the file on it, Ford actually has a guide on their website showing how to do it
    Normally you can update sync manually. I've done that a few times myself, but they came out with an update that won't let me.. it says my dealer has to do it. I have not checked lately if that is still the case or not. I have a Gen1 sync in a Taurus.
    04-28-2014 03:55 PM
    Is there any way to activate Cortana without hitting it on your phone? Probably not, but figured I'd ask in case I'm missing something :)
    04-28-2014 04:24 PM
36 12