The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-07-2014 02:32 AM
84 1234
tools
    all you guys that have cortana telling you what time to leave etc, does it make a difference if i have waze set up as default navigation app?
    i aslo have my commute set up from drive + that works good
    To have her tell you those things, you need to set "work" and "home" from "Maps", not my commute or any other app. I have my work schedule entered in calendar. That's how its triggered and or reminders. You can still use your other nav apps for the navigation part.

Someone needs to make a video for this for others who don't know how to set this up.
    04-24-2014 11:55 AM
    To have her tell you those things, you need to set "work" and "home" from "Maps", not my commute or any other app. I have my work schedule entered in calendar. That's how its triggered and or reminders. You can still use your other nav apps for the navigation part.

Someone needs to make a video for this for others who don't know how to set this up.
    I don't think that is completely true.

Yes, Cortana uses Maps to determine which location is actually "work" and "home," but that has nothing to do with Waze being set as the default voice navigation app. Cortana will automatically switch to Waze just like it does now when you ask to go to one of your saved places...assuming you have Waze set as the default.

Also, calendar entries are not required. Cortana uses the fact that you go to the same places set as work and home every day at a certain time. Calendar entries are only supposed to be utilized when you are traveling outside of that regular commute schedule.
    04-24-2014 02:45 PM
    Today I was waiting downtown at a non-work/non-home location to pick up my daughter who was late, and I had another looming appointment that I had entered in my calendar. I had set a 15 min reminder, but 20 min before the meeting Cortana gave me a message that given traffic conditions I needed to leave to get to my appointment. If not for that I probably would have been late. That was the first time I had received that kind of notice. Thanks, Cortana!

Edit to add: I don't often enter the addess of the meeting when I set up calendar events, but I did this time so that is clearly essential for receiving this kind of reminder.
    Jazmac, ven07, F3rzz and 2 others like this.
    04-24-2014 07:00 PM
    so are you guys saying basically to commute with waze and she will give the reminders?

you don't NEED to add your work and home in the "my places" section?

Because quite frankly, to pin point those addresses are very difficult. You can't (or can you?) like waze, save your current location as a place. you have to put in the address :/
    Last edited by ttsoldier; 04-24-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-24-2014 08:35 PM
    She gave me a reminder for a calendar event and I had gMaps as my navigator at the time.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-24-2014 10:02 PM
    Basically I agree with @ttsoldier it is pretty hard to actually add a favorite place to her notebook :/ She recognizes my three main favorite places to be, but she keeps asking me if the wrong one is my work address so now I've added my favorite places on Waze and added Waze as the default navi map so I will see what happens in the coming days
    04-24-2014 10:22 PM
    so are you guys saying basically to commute with waze and she will give the reminders?

you don't NEED to add your work and home in the "my places" section?

Because quite frankly, to pin point those addresses are very difficult. You can't (or can you?) like waze, save your current location as a place. you have to put in the address :/
    No...that's not what I said.

You still enter all of your places in maps through Cortana.

When I say, "directions to work," Cortana shows my work location in maps, but will automatically switch to Waze and enter the address in there since I have Waze set as my default voice nav app.
    04-24-2014 10:46 PM
    No...that's not what I said.

You still enter all of your places in maps through Cortana.

When I say, "directions to work," Cortana shows my work location in maps, but will automatically switch to Waze and enter the address in there since I have Waze set as my default voice nav app.
    As mentioned above, that I pretty difficult. The most I can get it like town names. Can't narrow down :(
    ven07 likes this.
    04-25-2014 04:51 AM
    A few thoughts and questions on getting commuting and traffic features working (moved from another thread per some suggestions:)

Adding an event with an address to the calendar will result in the traffic information being shown an hour or two before in Cortana. If the reminder is turned off or the address is not in the same format Maps would show it, it doesn't work.

I haven't gotten it to prompt me to leave yet, but I have left early most days. I assume if I was to still be not moving it would prompt me but not sure.

It's worth noting that I have had my work shifts in my calendar (with reminders turned off) since using Cortana. I'm not sure how or if this affects the "commuter" schedule.

If I continue to put my shifts in my calendar I can continue to get traffic and time for when I leave for work, but not for going home.

I'm curious to see what options others have found to get the commuting to work. I have defined (GPS correct) locations for home and work.

My questions to my fellow 8.1 users are as follows:

Has anyone noticed scheduled events interfering with Cortana traffic information?

Has anyone who told Cortana their home and work locations been prompted with commute traffic information?

Has anyone been able to get this to work by removing their manually added places and/or calendar events?

Lastly, here is what I am hoping they change before it comes out of beta:

1. Let users manage commute settings like you can with Here Drive. All this would require is an auto detect switch and then options for "I usually leave..." "I usually come home..." One of the biggest "selling points" of Cortana was that it was more transparent.

2. Allows users to see traffic information to all or any of their favorite places. E.g I should be able to set that I want to see traffic information to home and school at all times.
    04-25-2014 09:36 AM
    From day one I put into cortana my home and work address (des moines iowa), and while sometimes I work from home, this morning cortana finally prompted me when I should leave for work without any action on my part. it seems like even though you input your home and work addresses, it takes her some time to read your geo location, what time you typically leave for work, etc to get her to prompt without action. it was very cool to see that finally work though!
    ven07 likes this.
    04-25-2014 11:05 AM
    Today I was waiting downtown at a non-work/non-home location to pick up my daughter who was late, and I had another looming appointment that I had entered in my calendar. I had set a 15 min reminder, but 20 min before the meeting Cortana gave me a message that given traffic conditions I needed to leave to get to my appointment. If not for that I probably would have been late. That was the first time I had received that kind of notice. Thanks, Cortana!

Edit to add: I don't often enter the addess of the meeting when I set up calendar events, but I did this time so that is clearly essential for receiving this kind of reminder.
    Did she notify you as a pop-up or as a verbal reminder?
    04-25-2014 11:54 AM
    I love this feature, here's what I want to see added:
    Cortana, like most other GPSs take me through the major highway which usually has a lot of traffic. I use back roads. As of today, I don't have the option to change my commute in Cortana.
    This morning, I had meeting at another location, one that's not saved in my places. But I had the address saved in the calendar. It couldn't figure out that I needed to be at another address and tell me that I needed to leave. I also asked Cortana: How long do I need to get to my next meeting. How far is my next meeting location.. and all other variations. I just couldn't figure out that I needed to be at Address 123 Main St at 9 AM.
    04-25-2014 01:19 PM
    jleebiker wrote: "Did she notify you as a pop-up or as a verbal reminder? "

It was a toast notification.
    ven07 likes this.
    04-25-2014 01:21 PM
    jleebiker wrote: "Did she notify you as a pop-up or as a verbal reminder? "

It was a toast notification.
    I am curious how Cortana decides when/for what appointments to do this.

I set up a fake appointment with an address and waited - and got no "time to leave" notification. It showed current traffic on the live tile, and if I tapped the Cortana live tile, it showed traffic my daily glance, but even when it was past the point of getting to the appointment on time, it never notified me to leave.

I really, really, really hope they add some transparency and fine tuning to this process. The commuting and traffic features are incredible in theory, but if it's anyone's guess when they will work, that makes them nearly useless. Check boxes for "remind me to leave to get to all calendar appointments on time" and "show traffic for appointments with reminders turned off" would be a good start, as well as actual management of the commute stuff, like Here Drive+.
    04-26-2014 07:24 AM
    Cortana told me to leave for work this morning...

Big deal. My wife tells me that every day!
    Jazmac likes this.
    04-26-2014 09:49 AM
    Yaa..

I still don't know how she identifies home and work....or other places

nvm.Got it.

I find it easier to add home/work address by using the Maps app because the search result is not always accurate (from where I live at least).
    So, this is how I do it:-
    • Launch Maps
    • Tap + Hold the location
    • Tap the pop-up pin
    • Press add to fav button, choose Home/Work/Others and you're set.
    Last edited by ttsoldier; 04-26-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    04-26-2014 10:37 AM
    She guesses based on the amount of time you spend in those places, and the time of day. For instance, she guessed where my home was based on me being there in the evenings. She guessed where my school is based on the fact that I spend most of my day there.
    MSFTisMIA likes this.
    04-26-2014 10:45 AM
    Hi, why cortana doesn't me to leave the work? I live in Argentina, the traffic information isn't available for Maps app right? Must be that
    04-26-2014 11:04 AM
    Hi, why cortana doesn't me to leave the work? I live in Argentina, the traffic information isn't available for Maps app right? Must be that
    If you can't see traffic on maps, then you wont get that reminder
    ven07 likes this.
    04-26-2014 11:49 AM
    I did some playing around with Google Now on a friend's Nexus to sort of see how they compare, and I was left a little concerned.

Cortana's theoretical ability to automatically detect home/work and provide proactive information is great as an idea, but it doesn't seem to work as well as Google Now does.

On both phones I created an appointment with a location and with a reminder for a few hours out.

On the Nexus phone, it showed a card (very similar to how it looks in Cortana) with traffic info and said what time you would need to leave to get their on time. An hour before it prompted a general notification that I had the appointment.

On my phone (Icon) it showed the traffic information when I opened Cortana. An hour prior, as set up, it also notified me that I had an appointment.

On the Nexus, it prompted when it was a few minutes before you would have to leave. Cortana didn't do anything lol.

When the appointment time came both the Nexus and Cortana showed no more information - but the Nexus, recognizing that my friend wasn't at home, showed the time/traffic to get home.

Cortana has not ever shown this, but if you ask will tell you.

What I'd like to see is the ability to always see your travel time to your favorite places when you open Cortana (or be able to select which places you want to see time to) instead of the sort of "mysterious" way it works now.

The same thing with "leave on time" notifications. There seems to be some under the surface mechanism that determines if you get or don't get them.
    04-26-2014 07:10 PM
    I did some playing around with Google Now on a friend's Nexus to sort of see how they compare, and I was left a little concerned.

Cortana's theoretical ability to automatically detect home/work and provide proactive information is great as an idea, but it doesn't seem to work as well as Google Now does.

On both phones I created an appointment with a location and with a reminder for a few hours out.

On the Nexus phone, it showed a card (very similar to how it looks in Cortana) with traffic info and said what time you would need to leave to get their on time. An hour before it prompted a general notification that I had the appointment.

On my phone (Icon) it showed the traffic information when I opened Cortana. An hour prior, as set up, it also notified me that I had an appointment.

On the Nexus, it prompted when it was a few minutes before you would have to leave. Cortana didn't do anything lol.

When the appointment time came both the Nexus and Cortana showed no more information - but the Nexus, recognizing that my friend wasn't at home, showed the time/traffic to get home.

Cortana has not ever shown this, but if you ask will tell you.

What I'd like to see is the ability to always see your travel time to your favorite places when you open Cortana (or be able to select which places you want to see time to) instead of the sort of "mysterious" way it works now.

The same thing with "leave on time" notifications. There seems to be some under the surface mechanism that determines if you get or don't get them.
    One word.
    Beta
    ven07 and mozman68 like this.
    04-26-2014 11:21 PM
    One word.
    Beta
    Just because its beta does not mean it should be completely mysterious on how it works.

I'm so tired if everyone saying "its beta" like that excuses every issue people have. Windows Phones is not in a place where Microsoft can afford to screw its software up and its market share will be ok. They need to make sure its flagship software works for people.
    04-27-2014 08:36 AM
    Is all of this data stored on Microsoft servers to prepare personalized ads? I think this is more scary than amazing. But then again I might be paranoid.
    When it comes to Privacy Microsoft can be trusted (I guess) unlike Google.
    04-27-2014 09:08 AM
    Just because its beta does not mean it should be completely mysterious on how it works.

I'm so tired if everyone saying "its beta" like that excuses every issue people have. Windows Phones is not in a place where Microsoft can afford to screw its software up and its market share will be ok. They need to make sure its flagship software works for people.
    I agree to an extent. Maybe Talderon can give some insight as to whether these issues (time to leave reminders, commute info, traffic to favorites) is deliberate (and due to the "mysterious" behind the scenes stuff) or are just bugs that need to be worked out since its beta.

E.g. Is there a time range, location range, favorite places connection etc. That is necessary for leave on time notifications for them to "fire," or should they always fire if you have an event with a time and place.
    04-27-2014 10:48 AM
    Not sure if anyone posted a screenshot of this... for setup, the only thing I did was add Work and Home to Cortana's notebook. I don't use any navigation apps for my commute. Also booked a flight yesterday and she saw it via my email confirmations and offered to track the flights.

wp_ss_20140430_0001.jpg
    04-30-2014 07:18 AM
84 1234