Cortana told me to leave for work this morning...

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
yes the work, home thing is amaizing, still didn't get the part that I should get going, but im sure she will soon.

but what im interested in is, that I fly frequently, and I get my tickets sent to me by email. till now, Cortana never said that I have a flight, or I should be going to catch the flight, I wonder if anyone got this? if not do you think there is a specific format the Email ticket should be written according to?

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
The first time she asked me "Is this your home" I almost fell out of my bed :p That was about a day and a half after I first met her and in that moment I knew that when she steps out of beta she will be the best.. I dare to say we might even jump three steps ahead of the competition

It's really not that spectacular as you think.

boshkop

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
yes the work, home thing is amaizing, still didn't get the part that I should get going, but im sure she will soon.

but what im interested in is, that I fly frequently, and I get my tickets sent to me by email. till now, Cortana never said that I have a flight, or I should be going to catch the flight, I wonder if anyone got this? if not do you think there is a specific format the Email ticket should be written according to?

Talderon said that they are extending their parser on the backend and more airlines will be covered.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
She first did the travelling thing a couple of days back. things is i get the train to and from work and she was giving me driving times.

i've noticed that my phone is regularly updating it's location and i think she learns automatically approximately what time you leave a location and where ou go to and then stores it as a commute.

it'll be nice when the localisation is sorted out (am in the UK) and hopefully she will get train information. Then i should get updated info as i commute (delays and cancellations etc) and she should hopefully take that into account on my journey and adapt accordingly.

Her timing needs to be improved though. she was telling me if i wanted to leave work and be home by 6:30 that if i was drivign home i would need to leave work about 15 minutes before i was meant to finish. This morning she was trying to get me to drive to work and be there 30 minutes prior to my regular start time.

EuroKnuter

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Some of this needs to be set up for this to work, for those wondering:
Cortana | Settings | interests | traffic (you need to add it if it's not there already).

cortana_traffic.jpg

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I received my first notification this morning on when to leave for work. It even had me leave with enough time to get to work about 10 mins early with traffic.

defante

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Some of this needs to be set up for this to work, for those wondering:
Cortana | Settings | interests | traffic (you need to add it if it's not there already).

Beat me too it. Also want to add that if it's not already listed in interests, you have to add it under daily routine > traffic

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Talderon said that they are extending their parser on the backend and more airlines will be covered.

Hmmm. But my flights are trackable. As I can track them manually. And also in the travel app. But I do t th I nk cortana is recognizing the email of the tickets!

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
took her a couple days to figure out when I should leave to go to work, but I must get home consistently at 4:10, because she told me I should leave work 10m early to get home on time... my coworkers got a kick out of that one :)
Since my schedule varies during the week (but stays the same every week), I'm wondering if she'll know that I have to pick up the kids early on Thursdays, but that I stay a 1/2hr later on Tuesdays and account for those differences?

Marek Marzec

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
all you guys that have cortana telling you what time to leave etc, does it make a difference if i have waze set up as default navigation app?
i aslo have my commute set up from drive + that works good

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
all you guys that have cortana telling you what time to leave etc, does it make a difference if i have waze set up as default navigation app?
i aslo have my commute set up from drive + that works good

To have her tell you those things, you need to set "work" and "home" from "Maps", not my commute or any other app. I have my work schedule entered in calendar. That's how its triggered and or reminders. You can still use your other nav apps for the navigation part.

Someone needs to make a video for this for others who don't know how to set this up.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
To have her tell you those things, you need to set "work" and "home" from "Maps", not my commute or any other app. I have my work schedule entered in calendar. That's how its triggered and or reminders. You can still use your other nav apps for the navigation part.

Someone needs to make a video for this for others who don't know how to set this up.

I don't think that is completely true.

Yes, Cortana uses Maps to determine which location is actually "work" and "home," but that has nothing to do with Waze being set as the default voice navigation app. Cortana will automatically switch to Waze just like it does now when you ask to go to one of your saved places...assuming you have Waze set as the default.

Also, calendar entries are not required. Cortana uses the fact that you go to the same places set as work and home every day at a certain time. Calendar entries are only supposed to be utilized when you are traveling outside of that regular commute schedule.

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Today I was waiting downtown at a non-work/non-home location to pick up my daughter who was late, and I had another looming appointment that I had entered in my calendar. I had set a 15 min reminder, but 20 min before the meeting Cortana gave me a message that given traffic conditions I needed to leave to get to my appointment. If not for that I probably would have been late. That was the first time I had received that kind of notice. Thanks, Cortana!

Edit to add: I don't often enter the addess of the meeting when I set up calendar events, but I did this time so that is clearly essential for receiving this kind of reminder.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
so are you guys saying basically to commute with waze and she will give the reminders?

you don't NEED to add your work and home in the "my places" section?

Because quite frankly, to pin point those addresses are very difficult. You can't (or can you?) like waze, save your current location as a place. you have to put in the address :/

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Basically I agree with @ttsoldier it is pretty hard to actually add a favorite place to her notebook :/ She recognizes my three main favorite places to be, but she keeps asking me if the wrong one is my work address so now I've added my favorite places on Waze and added Waze as the default navi map so I will see what happens in the coming days

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
so are you guys saying basically to commute with waze and she will give the reminders?

you don't NEED to add your work and home in the "my places" section?

Because quite frankly, to pin point those addresses are very difficult. You can't (or can you?) like waze, save your current location as a place. you have to put in the address :/

No...that's not what I said.

You still enter all of your places in maps through Cortana.

When I say, "directions to work," Cortana shows my work location in maps, but will automatically switch to Waze and enter the address in there since I have Waze set as my default voice nav app.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
No...that's not what I said.

You still enter all of your places in maps through Cortana.

When I say, "directions to work," Cortana shows my work location in maps, but will automatically switch to Waze and enter the address in there since I have Waze set as my default voice nav app.

As mentioned above, that I pretty difficult. The most I can get it like town names. Can't narrow down :(

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
A few thoughts and questions on getting commuting and traffic features working (moved from another thread per some suggestions:)

Adding an event with an address to the calendar will result in the traffic information being shown an hour or two before in Cortana. If the reminder is turned off or the address is not in the same format Maps would show it, it doesn't work.

I haven't gotten it to prompt me to leave yet, but I have left early most days. I assume if I was to still be not moving it would prompt me but not sure.

It's worth noting that I have had my work shifts in my calendar (with reminders turned off) since using Cortana. I'm not sure how or if this affects the "commuter" schedule.

If I continue to put my shifts in my calendar I can continue to get traffic and time for when I leave for work, but not for going home.

I'm curious to see what options others have found to get the commuting to work. I have defined (GPS correct) locations for home and work.

My questions to my fellow 8.1 users are as follows:

Has anyone noticed scheduled events interfering with Cortana traffic information?

Has anyone who told Cortana their home and work locations been prompted with commute traffic information?

Has anyone been able to get this to work by removing their manually added places and/or calendar events?

Lastly, here is what I am hoping they change before it comes out of beta:

1. Let users manage commute settings like you can with Here Drive. All this would require is an auto detect switch and then options for "I usually leave..." "I usually come home..." One of the biggest "selling points" of Cortana was that it was more transparent.

2. Allows users to see traffic information to all or any of their favorite places. E.g I should be able to set that I want to see traffic information to home and school at all times.

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
From day one I put into cortana my home and work address (des moines iowa), and while sometimes I work from home, this morning cortana finally prompted me when I should leave for work without any action on my part. it seems like even though you input your home and work addresses, it takes her some time to read your geo location, what time you typically leave for work, etc to get her to prompt without action. it was very cool to see that finally work though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon