Cortana in UK

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
From memory, Talderon posted that it could be released sometime around July/August, which would qualify as both soon(tm) and later(tm). That's the target timeframe, I believe.

*Talderon, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
From memory, Talderon posted that it could be released sometime around July/August, which would qualify as both soon(tm) and later(tm). That's the target timeframe, I believe.

*Talderon, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

I'd have to disagree with those timescales somewhat. According to Marcus Ash on the 15th June "Cortana is coming to the UK in weeks, not months"

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/cortana-coming-uk-within-weeks-091926880.html#h22mQsD

So by that reasoning, anything past the 15th July would make it more than a month i.e. it becomes months rather than weeks....ergo past 15 July and Marcus gains the nickname pinnochio

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I'd have to disagree with those timescales somewhat. According to Marcus Ash on the 15th June "Cortana is coming to the UK in weeks, not months"

So by that reasoning, anything past the 15th July would make it more than a month i.e. it becomes months rather than weeks....ergo past 15 July and Marcus gains the nickname pinnochio

We know how Microsoft schedules things.... And how good they are at changing it.. :/

Grimmush

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site

Actually that's wrong, working in sales where I have to use time frames for availability/delivery, I disagree.

In order for a time frame to be called "months" there has to be more than one month in that time frame (eg. two months up), in this case the minimum requirement for two full months would be 15 June -> ~15 August.
Now anything below two full months is downgraded to weeks (it never is "one month" or "one month and one/two/three weeks"), as one month is composed of ~4 weeks, anything going beyond that while refraining from passing two months falls in the time frame of weeks. In this case, "weeks" can mean anything from 2 weeks up to 7/8 weeks. And in this particular case, since people are spitballing a release date @ July-August, that sound more like ~6 weeks, witch makes Marcus Ash's statement of "weeks, not months" valid. :)

Victoroos

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Actually that's wrong, working in sales where I have to use time frames for availability/delivery, I disagree.

In order for a time frame to be called "months" there has to be more than one month in that time frame (eg. two months up), in this case the minimum requirement for two full months would be 15 June -> ~15 August.
Now anything below two full months is downgraded to weeks (it never is "one month" or "one month and one/two/three weeks"), as one month is composed of ~4 weeks, anything going beyond that while refraining from passing two months falls in the time frame of weeks. In this case, "weeks" can mean anything from 2 weeks up to 7/8 weeks. And in this particular case, since people are spitballing a release date @ July-August, that sound more like ~6 weeks, witch makes Marcus Ash's statement of "weeks, not months" valid. :)

Lets hope he didn't talk in sales jargon...cause that sounds depressive, hahaha ;)

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't be rude with MS. They just realized that there is something out there beyond USA.
Sent from my RM-875_eu_euro2_242 using Tapatalk

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's disappointing. But I'd much rather have something working when it's ready than something broken right now. I guess there's some services/providers who aren't yet ready.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If people have been following Talderon's Cortana thread, they'll have an appreciation of just how complex the data and services are behind that freaky blue circle. There's a huge amount of data, a huge amount of data sources, and a huge amount of processing needed to bring those together in the simple, precise little nuggets that are placed onto your phone.

The fact that it's still labelled "Beta" in the US and still has glitches proves that she's still not ready yet. It's not just a case of flipping a switch in different regions because there's a large amount of region based data sources and data management that needs to happen. The fact that the forecasts were wrong aren't hugely surprising given the size of the task (although admittedly disappointing). Forecasts are just that - educated guesses and they can be wrong - things can also change or be delayed after the forecast is made. An incorrect forecast does not mean that anyone is lying or attempting to mislead.

Cortana is a lady - she'll be fashionably late and be absolutely stunning when she does turn up...

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
If people have been following Talderon's Cortana thread, they'll have an appreciation of just how complex the data and services are behind that freaky blue circle. There's a huge amount of data, a huge amount of data sources, and a huge amount of processing needed to bring those together in the simple, precise little nuggets that are placed onto your phone.

The fact that it's still labelled "Beta" in the US and still has glitches proves that she's still not ready yet. It's not just a case of flipping a switch in different regions because there's a large amount of region based data sources and data management that needs to happen. The fact that the forecasts were wrong aren't hugely surprising given the size of the task (although admittedly disappointing). Forecasts are just that - educated guesses and they can be wrong - things can also change or be delayed after the forecast is made. An incorrect forecast does not mean that anyone is lying or attempting to mislead.

Cortana is a lady - she'll be fashionably late and be absolutely stunning when she does turn up...

I forecast that WP is going to be at least one UK user less by the end of the year.......

Marcus wasn't forecasting anything when he made his announcement. MS wasn't forecasting when they stuck the word "soon" on twitter....... That was telling people what was going to happen.

On a somewhat separate note, where are the official MS boys 'n girls on this forum....you know, the ones that are paid to contain customer rage?

I've just read an interesting article on linkedin about containing anger on social feeds....MS would do really well to take note.

https://www.linkedin.com/today/post...ive-feedback-in-social-media?trk=object-title

A lot of this upset would disappear if someone official would pitch up, apologise for the miscommunication and set the record straight with some REALISTIC timescales.

I'd love to hear from Joe B, I really would.....

But alas, we'll just sit here and lambast MS for being lying dimwits who only give a crap about the US market.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)